Groove Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Ethan Giffin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It's what you make it"

Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Groove Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Groove for a few months now and it's the best job I've ever had. The executive staff is personable and encouraging. And the other Groovers are just as amicable and they do amazing work. I'm glad to finally be a part of a team that works hard and plays just as hard. My training period has been thorough and the company has been completely transparent as far as their goals and expectations go. It's an all around great place to work so long as you work hard and bring something to the table. And this office space is incredible!

Cons

If you have a bad attitude or poor work ethic, you won't last long here.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your staff and promote intersectionality across the teams and the company's growth and success will be imminent.

"Enjoying working at Groove"

Current Employee - Groove Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Groove Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Groove Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Groove has assembled a really strong and dedicated team that is doing great work. Yes the office is beautiful and the company works very hard to make it a fun place to work but overall I am impressed with the level of talent Groove has on board right now. From what I understand Groove has definitely matured. Also the level of transparency provided by management is refreshing and is rare for agencies of this size or agencies in general. Weekly all hands meetings are great IMO. I've worked at a few other agencies, both large and small, and so far Groove is providing its employees with more resources, training opportunities and overall tools to be successful. As I read some of the other reviews, I understand that all agencies experience decent turn, especially in a hot job market but for me I am really happy to be on board, I am engaged and I am seizing the opportunity they are giving me. I am not management but I felt compelled to balance out some of these reviews that definitely do not portray what it is like to work for Groove in 2016.

Cons

Despite having a really nice office with lots of perks that give off an "all play" persona, Groove is not for those who do not want to work hard. If you want to learn, advance your career and have some fun along the way, then Groove is a great spot. Not necessarily a "con" in my opinion but if you are passionate about digital marketing and can channel it into your work you'll love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep improving, keep maturing don't try to be what you are not. Continue hiring experienced pro's who raise the bar as to the type of work being delivered and the culture of the company.

"All talk, no substance."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Groove Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flashy office, fringe benefits like beer in the office, free food, and big screen TVs.

Cons

Writing this review because it's not fair that the slew of current employee reviews written in the same week push the honest reviews back. It almost makes you think they were directed to write them!

The CEO is a complete narcissist. Everything he does is aimed at making himself look special, even if it's a complete waste of money or superficial. The flashy office belies an under-experienced staff who are billed out at experienced rates.They make significant mistakes at client expense. They over promise and under deliver, consistently. They push employees to (unethically) post positive reviews of the company, as opposed to fixing the problems that cause the negative reviews in the first place.

It should tell you something that there are recurring get-togethers for past employees, with the common purpose of bashing their former employer. Attendees include employees who have been fired, quit, and laid off. The commonality is they don't work there anymore, and no one misses it.

The hiring mantra there seems to be "hire two, fire one." Nobody is valued, regardless of what they're told, and anyone can be thrown under the bus if someone is making the CEO look bad (deserved or not).

The sales team will promise anything to get a signed contract.

There is an expectation of long hours for the benefit of the company, but compensation is too low to attract more experienced professionals who know or respect their worth and time-value.

And the "acquisitions" made to grow the firm were simply friends of the CEO whose own companies were failing and a way for them to save face.

The CEO is the precise opposite of a leader. He hides when he should get in front of an issue. He throws people to the wolves when his name is on the line. He blames people for his own mis-management when things go wrong. You can't trust him.

Advice to Management

Think beyond the management team clique and value your employees. Really value them. Treat them like people. Acknowledge the client base is on the smaller side of business, because you're not in the same league as the bigger agencies, even in Baltimore. Getting a story in local press about the CEO's self-aggrandizing behavior (like spending a ton of money to doll up HQ) does not equate to being a quality agency.

Do something really meaningful. Help build and grow careers. Don't treat people like pigs to be slaughtered on your whim. Look up the golden rule and apply it to your business.

"Groovy Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great place to work as industry is constantly evolving and so is the company. New technology partnerships are really opening doors and hiring a high caliber technology team has really allowed us to go after more exciting clients.

Cons

Groove is aggressive starting at the top and expectations are tough in order to be a competitive agency and partner to Clients. Through growth some Groovers didn't cut it and we're looking for top talent to help build the agency's capabilities.

Advice to Management

Changes over the last 12 months have been great and I know it takes time but please keep doing what you're doing.

"Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Executive leadership has brought in some top Director talent from other local leaders within the industry. Their investment in both time and tools have helped foster growth within every employee. If you are looking for an opportunity where you aren't handcuffed to display your creativity, this is it. Groovers are able to truly unlock their hidden potential and make a real impact on each clients bottom line. Pay is great, but seeing your work really improve someone's business is what makes working here special. The culture is unlike any other I've been a part of.

Cons

If you are looking for a 9-5 this job is not for you. With that being said, we work hard but play harder. Turnover is a part of every business whether its internally or externally. Agency life isn't for everyone. The employees that do stay form part of the family that you'll see when you walk through these doors. The challenges that we face with clients to improve their businesses are not easy sometimes, but together we succeed.

Advice to Management

Stay on course.

"A ton of time and devotion with little reward..."

I worked at Groove Commerce full-time

Pros

It's a collaborative environment which is great for being able to work closely with peers.

Cons

No real structure exists within Groove. Management is never on the same page. There is a huge amount of focus on the work space and not the actual work that is being done by the people at Groove. The work coming out of Groove is bland and not very exciting either. This can most likely be attributed to the fact that Groove isn't willing to put out the money to bring in top talent to produce awesome work. Groove also doesn't seem to focused on keeping the talent they have.

Advice to Management

Hard working, good employees will not stick it out and wait for change. There are plenty of other agencies within the Baltimore area that are willing and eager to acquire talented people.

Groove Commerce Response

Jan 20, 2015 – VP, Principal

Thanks for your feedback. It's always helpful to get different perspectives and we hope your new opportunity had provided you with positive improvements in the key areas you discussed here. We've... More

7. "It's Not For Everyone"

I have been working at Groove Commerce full-time

Pros

I love the diversity of the clients, the chaos, the fun. It's not for everyone.

Cons

Not everyone can handle it.

"Learned a lot, but strange place to be"

I worked at Groove Commerce full-time

Pros

Snacks, lots and lots of beer, fun co-workers, cool office space.
    Really fast paced, so if you're into that you can learn a lot.
    Some fun company events
    high profile in the area
    launching pad to something better

Cons

While there were some pros, there was constant firefighting every day. We were told this was the agency lifestyle but it was not true, things did not seem to be run in an organized way in any part of the company except maybe in Sales. While I have worked 12 hours days at other agencies, there seemed to be reasons. Here, every day was just chaos and unhappy clients. The happy clients were really patient.

A core team of a few developers did the work of 10 people each

Seemingly no structured process, or investment in working better-- no lessons learned were shared, and it was like each project we had never done one similar before.

People work outside their job role, for example with no BA other roles would take the analysis of requirements on.

Dangled profit sharing in front of employees that never happened.

fear that if things didnt work out with a client one would be fired, rather than on the merit of how one preforms

Care more about sales pipeline than delivery

Pay was below market rate

Advice to Management

Learn how to forecast and resource your workloads, spend money on talent

Groove Commerce Response

May 24, 2017 – CEO

Ethan Here... Long time no chat. It must have been some time since you have worked at Groove as profit sharing was mentioned 1 time during an All Hands Meeting in January 2014. That morphed into... More

"Intern"

Pros

Coffee machine was nice, and the office space.

Cons

had little to no work for me to do, employees weren't too friendly

Advice to Management

Design a new program

"Flashy Can Be Foolish"

I worked at Groove Commerce full-time

Pros

Downtown location, free snacks and food, MacBook, casual environment.

Cons

Just as Hansel and Gretel were attracted to the candy house in the woods, job seekers are easily attracted to Groove's flashy headquarters. What's not to like? There's ample and free parking, a trendy workspace, BEER and giant TVs in the meeting rooms. But as many of us learned in this children's story, looks can be deceiving. The cool headquarters lore you in, but Groove's lack of processes and exhausting, unorganized workload don't make it worth your time.

Groove is a relatively young company, probably still considered a 'start up', which will allow them a certain degree of flexibility when it comes to a lack of processes and direction from management, however, there's no excuse for the extraordinary turnover from this company. As referenced in previous posts, 20+ employees are no longer "Groovers". This should be a red flag for any job seeker and potential client. The fact that so many current employees feel the need to write positive reviews within a few days of each other is also a red flag. There's a blatant insecurity and a need to push down these honest reviews. It wouldn't be the first time there's been a threat or bribery to the employees to put on the facade that Groove is an awesome place to work.

Groove's former employees are frustrated - and so are their former clients. Not every agency or company is perfect but Groove isn't open to change or suggestion. Groove expects 150% out of every employee, even those junior level employees fresh out of college who are working on high profile accounts. The "work hard, play hard" phrase is no lie, because that's all you do. You live, breathe, work, and play at the office. Forget evenings with your friends and family. Sure, some people may not be "cut out" for this - because those people have lives of their own and seek happiness outside of office walls.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, ALL of them. Don't hide behind a virtual suggestion box. Have conversations with everyone from the interns to top management that aren't ignored. Former employees have come up with some great suggestions in the past, only to have them ignored and skirted under the rug. Happy employees will make for happier clients. Also, be upfront with prospects in the sales process. There is a tendency to over promise and under deliver at the expense of employees.