Hecla Mining Reviews | Glassdoor

Hecla Mining Reviews

Updated September 12, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Hecla Mining CEO, President, and Director Phillips S. Baker Jr.
Phillips S. Baker Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent Company to work for."

I have been working at Hecla Mining full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Mining industry is wonderful, intriguing culture, good work, stimulating environment, ethical company, good leadership.

Cons

Ups and downs of the mining industry, especially the precious metals segment.

Advice to Management

Keep a steady course.

2. "Worst management I've ever seen"

Former Employee - Process Control in Mullan, ID
    Former Employee - Process Control in Mullan, ID

I worked at Hecla Mining full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great schedule, awesome benefits.

Cons

There was a problem between my boss and other departments. I did everything I was instructed, and got daily "great job" . Then I was let go with no reason. They fired my boss as well.

Instead of moving me under someone else, or reorganization of management, they just opted to let me go.

I loved the position, and the mine. Most people there were nice, although some of the "good ol boy/girl" crowd didn't much approve of me.

They moved my family and I here, and 4 months into the job I am screwed. I don't think pissed off quite covers how I feel about them.

Advice to Management

Keep screwing people over clayr. You will get yours... And I will be there laughing about it.

"At your own risk"

Current Employee - Senior Geologist in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Geologist in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I have been working at Hecla Mining full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, some staff, and the CdA office.

Cons

I will say that mining as a whole tends to be a misunderstood profession. Unfortunately, I don’t think Hecla has enough people in leadership positions who understand what it means to lead, not just with people but in an intelligent and innovative way. Their answer to anything was, “Well, it’s always been done that way.” If you question anything or anyone in management prepare yourself for the consequences because you will receive blowback. The company as a whole has a very traditional/conservative “good ol’ boys club” mentality, and I get the feeling they like it that way. Is it a shocker that almost everyone at their Corporate level of management is a middle aged white man?

I was in the position of seeing unsavory interactions between supervisor and subordinate in various mining departments and let’s just say the supervisor always won. Always. To this day I’m not sure if people just were oblivious to it or if they just didn’t want to see it, because they were warned. Multiple times by multiple people. After a certain point you just gave up. Of course, the fact that there were positions in departments that had a terrible churn issue was apparently of no concern to them either. I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason nothing was done was to cement / further certain people’s careers; which just makes the whole thing worse. The sad thing is, sometimes nice people got promoted then drank a little too much of the koolaid and got a little too big for their britches.

They seem to suffer under the impression that if you’re technically proficient at your job it means you’ll understand how to lead. Sadly, this is not the case. Certain people at certain levels were protected to the detriment of others, plain and simple.

Proceed with caution.

Advice to Management

Try harder because you’re missing the mark.

4. "Good place to gain experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juneau, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juneau, AK

I have been working at Hecla Mining full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Starting Salary. Friendly atmosphere. Good experience Available for entry level professional employees. Likes to promote from within.

Cons

You stay at your entry level job for a while until you get on a "track" to management that for some never comes. Strategy is to attract with decent salaries and not give raises unless you are promoted. It's a small company that likes to run lean.

Advice to Management

Invest in high performing employees who may not be great managers. Invest in training. These things will help with retaining mid level professional employees

"Not as good as it used to be."

I worked at Hecla Mining full-time

Pros

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting lifelong friends here. Juneau is an amazing place to live if you can handle the weather. Benefits were decent.

Cons

We lost a lot of great people (some of whom retired) and I don’t think the loss of quality people has stopped since. Obviously some things are department-dependent but for me, my dept. had some serious management issues. I’m not sure who is doing the promoting but they need to take a hard look at who actually has the ability to manage a team without resorting to bullying, egotistical driven behaviors and passive-aggressive “high school” attitudes. Part of being a manager is understanding how to motivate, lead and have your team’s back. If you can’t handle confrontation effectively then you probably shouldn’t be a manager. A company can’t work the way it should unless you have the right people in the right positions to make it happen. Successes wouldn’t be there without people who makes the mine run every day, so it behooves you to put your people first, not senior management or board members.

Advice to Management

People don’t quit the company, they quit bosses. Don’t hire jerks and for the love of god don’t promote them either.

"Hecla"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I have been working at Hecla Mining part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay and great area to live.

Cons

You happiness while working here depends on who your manager. There are some good ones but few and far between.

Advice to Management

To keep good people you have to empower people. Way to many self served managers.

"Ok"

I have been working at Hecla Mining full-time

Pros

Learn the different mining styles and underground jobs.

Cons

Management doesn't care for employees

"Great Overall Company"

Former Employee - Mine Surveyor in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Mine Surveyor in Juneau, AK

Pros

The best safety culture I have ever had the privileged of working with, that's including several other mines I have been at. Always provided proper PPE to the highest degree, no junk. Also, every quarter there was a so called 'State of the Union' where the mine manager would discuss the reality of how the mine was doing; what was going out of service, coming in service, and profits. Then they opened it up for questions and answered pretty honestly.... I would recommend to anyone. Lastly, great workforce, friendly beyond believe for the mining community.

Cons

For the cost of living in Juneau, Alaska I think the pay should be something like 10-15% more. Starter homes, that are attached, with 1500 sq ft run around $300,000 plus. I live in the lower 48 now and for the cost of housing here and live a lot better although I make $20,000 less.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. If pay was a bit more connected for the cost of housing, I know my family would still be living and working there.

"Good experience"

I worked at Hecla Mining full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment for growth. Allow employees to internally transfer to departments that are completely different than their current position.

Cons

Everyone seems very unhappy. It seems as though some employees are stuck there and want to get out but don't know what else to do.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of management and not enough people doing the actual work. Cut down on the meetings and forms and hoops workers have to jump through to get production going.

10. "Overall an okay company to work for."

I have been working at Hecla Mining full-time

Pros

Good benefits and fairly laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Benefits are being decreased and executive management doesn't have much respect for the IT department.

Advice to Management

Actually care about the IT infrastructure that supports your company and allows you to make money. Support it with the proper personnel.