KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Hook Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2022

Found 17 of over 17 reviews

3.7
Hook Managing Director  Michael Watts (no image)
Michael Watts

What people are saying about Hook

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Nimble, multitalented creative shop

Apr 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small-agency feel provides a lot of opportunities for growth and development. Multifaceted capabilities of the company means lots of variety of work.

Cons

Everyone wears many hats, and the hats don’t always fit at first.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company review

Apr 11, 2022 - Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team members, clients list & type of work

Cons

Operations has a lot of turnover, specifically HR & Recruitment

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lots of very skilled people work here

Sep 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is very good, good benefits as well. The company encourages learning by giving stipends to use for online classes, software, etc. People here are very good at what they do and so in most cases, there is an expert there that you can learn from.

Cons

The 10:00 - 6:30/7:00 workday. I wished there was more flexibility here, but since their other offices are in LA /SF they need the hours in the Michigan locations to line up. This was a couple of years ago so it is possible that this has been addressed.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great agency to work with!

Jan 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thoughtful, caring leadership that really want to do the right thing by their people. Great co-workers, unique account group structure that allows for close working relationships with clients.

Cons

As is the nature of advertising, can sometimes be difficult to plan ahead which means we are often reactive.

5. 1.0
    Current Freelancer

Avoid freelancing here.

Aug 11, 2020 - Freelance Art
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free snacks, The Creative Directors seemed to mostly not care what you were doing.

Cons

They were more concerned with getting my parking pass back and getting me out the door as fast as possible than if I cared for my experience at the agency. The other employees were mostly unwelcoming and unfriendly and the CD's mostly ignored what you were doing. PLUS, for no reason they can explain, you have to fill out and keep track of TWO DIFFERENT TIME SHEET SYSTEMS! That's idiotic and wastes my time. I don't work for you, I'm just there to help. Make the system simple. If you can't figure out how to do basic functions like a single timesheet system maybe we don't need you? Or maybe the HR people need to do a better job. It was one of the most annoying things I've ever dealt with.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work and grow

Aug 23, 2020 - Visual Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very talented people, chill environment

Cons

Very few, but projects may get a bit repetitive.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

The worst freelancing gig I've done

Feb 25, 2020 - Contract Designer in Culver City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Flexible working hours * my pay was fair

Cons

* office space was not appealing * parking was terrible * staff seemed uncomfortable and terrified of people above them * most of the employees were unwelcoming, especially one of the office people who is completely plastic (don't ask how somebody's day is going if you are just gonna turn your back around halfway through their sentence. Because... manners)! * my direct manager didn't really know or keep track of what project I could be assigned to

Hook Response

Head of People

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Freelance support is so important to what we do and this falls short of the expectations we have for ourselves and the experience we want to provide to everyone who comes onboard. We would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your time with us, so we can identify and address the ways we may not be meeting the needs of all our employees. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at kiersten.mutchnick@byhook.com.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 20, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flat structure, collaborative and friendly coworkers, interesting projects and work.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment

9. 1.0
    Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Avoid

Oct 16, 2019 - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting clients - The creative team seemed ok

Cons

They contact me for a freelance position. After the initial agreement via email I had a call with the team and we agreed on all the details, but then they simply stopped responding. Extremely irresponsible and disrespectful behavior.

3 people found this review helpful

Hook Response

Head of People

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Freelance support is so important to what we do and this falls short of the expectations we have for ourselves and the experience we want to provide all potential partners and candidates. We would welcome the opportunity to get to the bottom of what happened here and provide some clarity to you. Feel free to reach out directly to me at kiersten.mutchnick@byhook.com.

10. 4.0

Great Place for the Right Person

Aug 26, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting and complex projects Very detail and quality oriented Everyone that works there becomes better at their job Very competent founders Chances to work for very high profile clients Very talented staff

Cons

Unpredictable hours at times Sometimes the clients are allowed to "walk all over" the staff at times Bread and Butter work becomes a bit monotonous at times

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews