IAT Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
IAT Insurance Group CEO William Cunningham
William Cunningham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent employer - employee friendly, solid benefits with generous vacation plan and 401K match (in 5 reviews)

• When the new leadership came on board a few years ago there were a lot of changes that did not suit everyone (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Agents do not even approve of the companys current executive management & leadership & complains about how the company currently operates as a whole (in 2 reviews)

• Most of the long term good employees have left in the last two years, since all new senior management was brought in (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"IAT has become a great place to be"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and outstanding 401k w/7% match. Bonuses are wonderful. CEO Bill Cunningham is an excellent leader who has built a great team of senior leadership below him to execute his vision and plans. If his leaders can't execute, they don't stick around long which might not sound like a pro, but after being here for almost 20 years and seeing people who have no business being in management stay in their positions for years and years, it absolutely is a big pro.

Many of the negative reviewers have said things like IAT or its management doesn't care about its employees. I can tell you this is patently false considering I started at IAT in the lowest level an I.T. person can be at and am now in management myself. IAT's management is well aware that a company doesn't work without good employees and takes steps to reward those good employees. IAT management are always having meeting discussing how things can be improved for employees because we all know that success depends on satisfied, competent employees. We've been going through a transition period over the last few years to increase our strength by reducing our weaknesses. This is a standard business practice. Sometimes people are let go because their department is eliminated and there's nowhere for them to go, or the person simply didn't meet standards. For those of us who are lucky enough to work here, we are treated extremely well. Further, I think IAT's CEO taking time to reply to many of these reviews illustrates that he does care about his employees, former, current, and future.

The culture at IAT has changed dramatically throughout over the past few years. Prior to our reorg, each of the 9 offices acted as unique, independent companies, and many were poorly managed. There existed an us vs. them mentality. Now that mindset is gone and we're inching ever close to being one company that happens to have several different locations across the country. This is a long, arduous process. Yes, there have been some and will be more casualties along the way, but the end result will be worth it.

Cons

While we do hire a lot of people from within, it does seem that many of the new positions are filled with people who previously worked for the hiring manager at his/her previous company. This isn't entirely a con, but it has happened enough to have raised the eyebrows of many who have been here for a while.

Advice to Management

I would like to see even more of an increase on hiring from within where possible, especially for those who have been with IAT for a long time and were kept under thumb by the previous regime.

Other than that, keep up the great work!

IAT Insurance Group Response

Dec 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your very thoughtful feedback. It’s rewarding to read your comments and know that you like where IAT is headed. Employees like you are what is making this... More

"Great"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Great company. Cares about employees

Cons

Currently at this time have none

"Only Getting Better - More Focus, Support, Recognition & Communication"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Company has matured significantly over the past few years as a result of stronger leadership, hiring the right talent and developing the talent we have on board. There is a lot of excitement about our future and everyone seems to be on board! I love be able to make an impact.

Cons

Still need proactive communication regarding project status specifically BTM. Communication plans are being developed but these steps should be constant and with a goal of updating maybe as much as weekly or every 2 weeks. We are eager to know the latest development and impacts.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing for employees and the Company!

"Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming staff, caring management and ownership, investing in the business, rapidly developing capabilities, very good benefits

Cons

Many new hires make it a little difficult to build personal network within company, currently tech below average (but rapidly improving), needs more clarity in roles/responsibilities/org structures

Advice to Management

Do more to encourage employees to get to know others outside their immediate work areas

"Excellent Leadership, Excellent Company"

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time

Pros

I have been working for IAT for around three months now. Since my start with the company, I have been blown away with the dedication and transparency of our leadership.

It is evident through the decisions that they make, that they truly value their employees. Our CEO prioritizes employees, and encourages us to provide feedback on a regular basis. He truly listens and values our ideas and makes a continual effort to update us on company milestones, and new ventures.

In addition, I work with a phenomenal team and the benefits that the company provides are incredible.

It is very humbling to wake up knowing that I am going to work at IAT.

Cons

No cons at this time.

"Changing for the Better"

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time

Pros

IAT has the world in front of it and it is an exciting place to work.

Cons

None to speak of at this time

"Great company vision and values."

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for growth. Employees are kept well informed on company successes and failures.

Cons

Work/Home life is sometimes difficult to balance.

Advice to Management

More flexibility in allowing employees to work from home.

"Excellent Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Claim Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Claim Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employer - employee friendly, solid benefits with generous vacation plan and 401K match. Many employers assert that they value their employees but IAT acknowledges the value of their employees by treating them fairly and actually making opportunities to provide thoughtful perks. I feel respected and valued in my position. Coming from one of the top ten personal lines carriers in the country, it had been many years since I had felt respected or valued. I feel fortunate to work for IAT Insurance Group. I feel that my work directly impacts the overall success of the company. I hope the mutual respect will be long lived.

Cons

As with most expanding companies , IAT is experiencing some growth pain in the form of changes.

Advice to Management

As you grow to a major player in the commercial insurance market, please do not overlook the value of your employees, including local managers.

"Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at IAT Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO and Executive Leadership team is really driving to a great culture. Transparent, open, humility, wanting feedback from employees and acting upon that feedback. Couldn't be happier to be here!

Cons

Seems like we're trying to do a lot all at once. I worry sometimes about our ability to do all these initiatives well.

"Management"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at IAT Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company since all of the competent & knowledgeable employees and managers with people skills & quality leadership skills that actually treated employees & agents with respect have all left or are looking to leave. Would not have even given this company 1 star but there is no option for zero star rating

Cons

Management is clueless & has zero people skills not to mention any type of knowledge or common sense regarding the insurance industry. Highest turnover rate of any company o have ever worked for. Agents do not even approve of the companys current executive management & leadership & complains about how the company currently operates as a whole. No employee appreciation for hard work & dedication. Could go on & on about the toxic work environment at this company best advice would be to run as fast as u can & don’t look back. Will be the best career decision you ever make

Advice to Management

Quit lying & writing fake reviews to offset the real reviews been written by current & past employees. New employees will figure it out sooner or later & you should consider increasing employee satisfaction and overall ma leadership skills instead of wasting so much time writing fake reviews on Glassdoor & maybe consider treating your employees with respect & appreciation for their hard work & dedication which is the only reason this company has any business in the first place. Employees & agents see right through the lack of leadership & knowledgeable executives & won’t be sticking around much longer due to how this company is currently operating