IHSD Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 10 reviews

3.7
IHSD CEO Angel Barrios
Angel Barrios
  1. "Serving the community for over 35 years"

Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at IHSD full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

The mission of the organization has been to serve the highest needs children and families in the community for a long time. It is the only Head Start grantee in San Mateo County and has been a consistent leader and standard setter in the Early Education field. Content Managers have a wealth of knowledge and many staff who have been here for 5+,10+,15+20+25+30+ years are extremely dedicated to the mission and families...

Cons

Staff turnover, which is a trend in the Early Childhood field especially due to the high cost of living in San Mateo County is the largest challenge we have in maintaining quality services but we are actively working to make compensation higher to retain our hardworking staff.

Advice to Management

The heart-work we do is critical to the families we serve. If your heart is not in it, (just like anything else you do) you will likely be more successful in another field or organization.

IHSD2019-04-22
  2. "IHSD takes care of their employees"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at IHSD part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

We work hard and well as a diverse team to provide excellent quality services to children and families. We have a very caring, capable and passionate leader who creates an agency culture that is compassionate to each other and proud of the services that we provide. Her thoughtfulness even extends to decisions like having a very generous benefits package for staff, and prioritizing staff health and wellness. There is...

Cons

Head Start work pays attention to a lot of details in order to provide the comprehensive and high quality services that we do. It would not be a good match for someone who is not willing to work hard and attend to the details required.

IHSD2019-02-07
  3. "Family organization"

Current Employee - Data Entry Technician in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IHSD full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at IHSD for about 6 months. I enjoy everything about it. Their is a great feel of teamwork among st all the employees. Everyone helps everyone and their is a lot of good that we are doing for the community and especially the kids. It is a privelage to work for such a great organization.

Cons

None that I can think of. Every day is a new challenge and it takes a team to fight those challenges. Sometimes, we have a hectic schedule and we forget to breathe and smell the coffee. That is the only con that I see. We get so busy that we forget to take a break and unwind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Let's aim for full staff in the next year or so.

IHSD2019-02-06

"Mission-driven work with opportunity for growth"

I have been working at IHSD full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Really committed to serving families in San Mateo County to provide quality early childcare - Provide staff development and teacher training - Invested in family engagement and creating a love of learning - Dedicated management staff and great diverse community

Cons

- Somewhat rooted in old traditions where change can be hard - Retaining qualified and committed teachers

Advice to Management

Looking forward to seeing the organization grow and serve more families.

IHSD2019-01-25
  5. "Great Program!"

I worked at IHSD full-time

Pros

It is a great program and definitely make a difference in the community.

Cons

Main office has a lot of work to do. Management needs to listen to the staff and their concerns. Some managers need to find a new job since they are bringing down the moral of the office. Executive directors know who those managers are and continue to keep them.

Advice to Management

You need to let go of the toxic people in the office. They are the reason many are unhappy and guess what they talk about everyone including their boss.

IHSD2018-10-04
  6. "chairman and policy councilor respresentative"

I worked at IHSD for more than a year

Pros

great people and great staff working towards improving preschool around the Bay Area

Cons

no cons at this time

IHSD2018-04-11

"It's unorganized"

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher

I have been working at IHSD full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Serve underprivileged children and families Can just not show up to work with almost no repercussions

Cons

Unorganized Different managers telling you to do different things and then you're in trouble for trying to follow their directions High Turnover Managers who manage teachers who have never taught in a classroom before

Advice to Management

Promote people from within Take employee feedback

IHSD2015-09-04
  8. "A stressful enviroment with very little support"

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IHSD full-time

Pros

Working with children Work schedule (center closes at 4:30)

Cons

Parents complain about everything, and teachers get the blame for it when they are just following the policy Staff members get away with poor attendance- good for them, bad for teachers who show up on time and are out of ratio. IHSD hires staff members who have never worked in a classroom before Lack of training, stressful environment- very UNORGANIZED. So much work but not enough time to do it Teachers get abused...

Advice to Management

Teachers need more support, less subs- more permanent staff members please!

IHSD2015-09-18
  9. "Good program, but needs changes."

Current Employee - Teacher in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IHSD full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

*community get to serve *Connections with families

Cons

*inconsistent with employees *management doesn't think about the teaching staffs needs and opinions

Advice to Management

*provide open communication to staff *provide all sites with teachers, too many subs all the time

IHSD2014-12-16
  10. "Pro's and cons"

Current Employee - Preschool in

I have been working at IHSD full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Lots of changes in the program.

Cons

one of the higher paid pre-k teachers

IHSD2012-07-03