Innospec Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Innospec President and CEO Patrick S. Williams
Patrick S. Williams

1. "Good for college students"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Newark, DE

Pros

Plenty of hours in the summer, office/lab experience, you do a lot more than the typical "coffee fetching" intern. Three interns have gotten hired full time in the last 2 years which is pretty good.They're understanding about school because we are students.

Cons

Gets really slow at times with nothing to do, but you can't go home and you get in trouble if you don't look busy. Lots of gossip, including full time staff gossiping about interns

Advice to Management

Your interns are people, and they do a lot for you. Some of the management acts like interns are lazy and useless, which hurts morale.

"Incentives and Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Innospec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Innospec gave me the best experience of my career. They run lean, which means if you have drive and are intelligent they give you the work to do. If you are lazy and need your hand held you will not fit in here. You can join projects and run with them. Access to executive management was common. They promoted me 3 times in 4.5 years. I had major bonus potential and usually hit it and I was a corporate employee, no where near a sales department. My manager was one of the most respected in the company so I am sure that played a part in my experience. We had open dialogue and a great working relationship. The benefits for my entire family (spouse, children) were totally covered. I could work from home when needed. I got to travel for work and my spouse was able to join me from time to time (of course we paid for his ticket). They are very understanding about family emergencies. I was very connected with my team both in the US and around the globe.

Cons

Denver lacked an HR Department until recently so there was not an easy way to discuss an issue with someone other than your manager. There was some turnover with several long term employees leaving and they couldn't find a younger person that was able to handle the entire job, so it would wind up being broken in to 2 positions which decreases awareness and productivity.

Advice to Management

Invest in training and work on keeping the hard workers.

"meh...."

Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in High Point, NC

I worked at Innospec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid to work here. You get an annual bonus, up to 4% of your annual (usually got 3%). 2 weeks vacation after 6 months. Benefits start immediately (HSA, high deductible, company contributes ~1300 annually via one big pay out followed by x small payouts).

Cons

No upward mobility. Hazardous work environment. No supervision of staff, policies, or workmanship. Unorganized. Unprofessional. Poor morale and apathetic staff.

Advice to Management

No advice to give, they know the score.

"Innospec is a fast-paced, challenging, work environment with plenty of opportunity to gain valuable experience."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Englewood, CO

I worked at Innospec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and changing a lot right now. It's a very interesting niche in a booming industry, which makes it exciting and fun most of the time. You'll never be staring at the clock or waiting for your phone to ring; that goes for everyone in the office, no matter what role you're in. If you're looking for a place where you can maximize your potential and productivity - it's here. For the most part, salaries are competitive and the benefits are excellent. The senior level executives are awesome, but they are rarely there and travel a significant amount - if I had worked directly under any or all of them, I would still be there.

Cons

My experience with my manager was the main reason I left Innospec, although that wasn't the only factor. In all honesty, I was taken advantage of there and treated really poorly for a reason I still don't understand. My direct supervisor was unhappy with my performance, while I was receiving very positive feedback from everyone else I was working with daily (the senior level executives?). My manager wouldn't communicate with me at all, which was extremely challenging and frustrating, and that overpowing issue ultimately confirmed my decision to leave. Aside from that, the company culture wasn't for me either. During my short time there, people were in and out of the company constantly; a big red flag for me. The company is also lacking a solid HR role in the Denver office, so as it faces common issues that are inevitable in any workplace, it's without a proper platform to address or resolve any type of conflict among it's local employees. Stress, tension and frustration consumed the office, and it became clear that I needed to move on and build my career in a more conducive, team-oriented environment. Despite some negative experiences there, I would work for Innospec again if it promoted a better work environment.

Advice to Management

I know from personal experience that Innospec has the potential to be a better company. Unfortunately, it's lacking some key elements that leave it's employees unhappy at the end of the day. The environment is neither supportive nor cohesive; leaving every man for himself. It's both inefficient and discouraging for it's employees, customers and ultimately, it's investors. I don't think any company can reach it's full potential without preparing to combat internal problems like these. Innospec's HR department uses only the most basic functions, and could benefit from expanding it's practices. Employee education and training programs, community building events, employee relations platforms and performance improvement plans are just a few other HR functions that I would hope to see Innospec ulitize in the future.

6. "Innospec Intern"

Former Employee - Lab Intern in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Lab Intern in Newark, DE

I worked at Innospec part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience. Gets you used to working under deadlines. Were very accommodating when comes to scheduling work hours and time off. Great work atmosphere

Cons

Work can sometimes be tedious and repetitive.

7. "Working at Innospec"

Former Employee - Itd in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Itd in Chicago, IL

I worked at Innospec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UK staff in general are very friendly and nice and approachable. Staff have been there on the whole quite a long time and they are very loyal and committed to what they do.
    Company is trying to reinvent itseld after very negative press which is difficult and an uphill battle. On the whole they appear to be winning this slowly.

Cons

Senior management are very archaic in their views of people and the benefits that they can bring. For example they do not invest in people in terms of development and well being.
    If people wanted the organisation to participate in the cycle to work scheme they would not support this as people should - buy their own. The same for investing in some gym equipment. Staff must be on site for 8.38 and get 36 minutes for lunch which harps back to some old thing about the traffic light timings and no one wants to change it - time to get with the flexible working era and invest in your staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff not just pay lip service, join the flexible working era.

8. "Intern"

I have been working at Innospec part-time

Pros

Friendly office environment, great hardworking people that are helpful, events for employees and interns to contribute to and participate in, fair pay.

Cons

Sometimes there are slower periods of time with a light workload, which makes staying busier a bit more challenging - but overall not a huge issue.

Advice to Management

Continue with employee events to keep the morale up, it keeps the employees and interns happy, interacting, and invested.

9. "No work life balance but invest in your future"

Pros

Company paid benefits for entire family (except dental employee only), not great coverage but premiums paid, 10 paid holidays, pension & 401k match (vested after 3 years) & quarterly bonus.

Cons

12 days PTO/15 Max after 3 years, no roll over which is awful, have to dress up most of the week, location, horrible communication, you will get ignored most of the time if you bring up an issue. Many of the higher ups won't acknowledge you. Expect you to be available all the time & you do 3 people's work for 1 person.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to do the jobs. Stretching employees thin and not offering enough time off really wears a person down. More PTO that rolls over. Offer more work from home options so many people are more efficient not standing around talking.

10. "Wouldn’t recommend Ellesmere Port"

I worked at Innospec full-time

Pros

- Large site with room for significant growth and development.
    - Only a few hundred staff on site, able to build good relationships with a broad mix.
    - Great majority of people were polite, friendly and very helpful.
    - Dynamic and fast-paced environment.
    - Good remuneration and benefits including company share scheme.

Cons

- Dedication and commitment of staff not always fully recognised.
    - Motivation of some employees was lacking, reducing team morale.
    - Accountability for tasks sometimes wasn't explicit, leading to unnecessary workloads or double handling.
    - Plenty of politics, slow decision making at times and lack of direction.
    - Internal communication between departments was often delayed or lacking detail. Potential for major technological improvement (e.g live KPIs and Plant Status displayed on TVs in M, SC & QC). Currently old fashioned and behind other companies.
    - No promotion of training and development opportunities for new and existing staff, except for in EHS. Perceived a general lack of investment in people.

Advice to Management

People work for people – not for businesses. Whilst the business outlook might be good, you should show more gratitude toward employees. Communication, use of technology and people development could be significantly improved, hence motivation, morale, productivity and so on.

11. "Try not blaming the staff - Look at the project managers who tried (and failed) to put the new system in."

I worked at Innospec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonus - (if you lick the right people's boots)
    Free car park (but don't drive too fast!)
    Some decent staff

Cons

Upper management clueless as to what goes on at floor level. If you're a favourite of the arrogant CEO you'll be fine. If not then there's nothing down for you.

Took them 4 years to (attempt) to put in Microsoft dynamics AX to replace Oracle and they're now ditching that for SAP! But do the project team get the blame despite the project coming in millions of dollars over budget? No - because they contain the CEO's favourites. In the meantime they lost a few really good staff who ended up carrying the can for the project team's inadequacies.

Advice to Management

Let the managers manage and make the AX project team accountable for THEIR failings. Also, there's a bad, bad smell in AP department.