Ipas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Hetherington

"Supportive and visionary leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance with dedicated co-workers. I feel strongly supported and trusted in my role. I love the prevailing appetite for innovation, experimentation, and risk taking that opens many doors for those hungry for a challenge.

Cons

Still going through a period of significant change. While I am confident about the direction taken, there is still quite a bit of uncertainty with regards to how we will get there as an organization.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating internally.

"Lots good change but !!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO and COO are focused on implementing long desired changes in Ipas. They have tried their best not to get distracted by the personal agendas that often compete with realizing the vision they have for Ipas. They however have stayed on course and have decentralized the programming and focused the attention on the country programs who know best what their needs are. It is quite possible that in the end Ipas will be better off because of the changes that have been implemented. Ipas remains a great place to get experience for young professionals before moving on to other places where they can grow their careers.

Cons

The long drawn out layoffs and, restructuring left a traumatized staff that seems reticent to speak out and are paranoid about losing their jobs. The joyful events that characterized the Chapel hill office are long gone and are instead replaced by hollow attempts to bring people together. It is not clear how one would grow in Ipas because managers (who are probably priced out of the market) seem focused on making themselves relevant which has resulted in creating inefficiencies in the name of creating value. Younger staff seem forgotten and are trickling out of Ipas in a steady drip.

Advice to Management

Remember your staff! You shine when you promote your employees and the work they do. It is pretty obvious to everyone when you are working on a personal agendas.

"Massive improvements in progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My Ipas colleagues are a hard-working, impact and efficiency-driven, and fun-loving crew. COO is bright, energetic, motivational, and tireless in service of bringing positive change to Ipas and the women/girls we serve. Directors have significant overseas and non-Ipas work experience, bringing credibility, creative problem-solving, and diversity of thought to those positions and the org.

Ipas's push toward greater county autonomy and its long-standing practice of hiring local (not expat/TCN) employees in the field contributes to the feel good part of this place, in addition to being right for our mission, for the sustainability of our work, for local capacity, and for getting better bang for our donors' buck.

Good benefits: An earlier post indicated Ipas cut its paid maternity leave, which is simply not true.

Cons

Restructuring in Nov 2016 led to a significant number of long-time Ipas staff retiring (bitterly), which was unfortunate for morale. One part of the org was seemingly protected from the restructuring, which continues to be a pain point due to the inefficiencies in that part that remain from pre-restructure ways of working.

The new structure created strategic and overdue efficiencies, but likewise had to be "lived into" over the past six months to begin to feel the benefit of those efficiencies. Ipas is turning the corner and it's a joy to have these necessary, dramatic organizational lifecycle events getting ever-smaller in the rear view mirror!

Advice to Management

We are with you.

"Replace Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and talented colleagues, who have extensive technical and programmatic experience, and are deeply committed to the organizational mission.

Cons

New leadership are ill equipped to do their job and should be replaced by actual experts in the field who put human rights at the core of their approach to the work they do.

Advice to Management

Respect and trust your employees. Treat them with dignity, or you will continue to lose them.

"Replace Chiefs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, great people in junior and mid-level roles.

Cons

See other recent reviews-- very accurate!

Advice to Management

Board of Directors should replace executive leaders with those who can take rights-based approach to personnel management and who are respected in the abortion care field. Until that happens, I don't think the problems can be changed.

"👍"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Ipas (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Would love to work again.

Cons

No cons. Had a wonderful experience

Advice to Management

👍

8. "Great Workplace Culture"

Current Employee - Program Advisor in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Program Advisor in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is very positive. Lots of opportunities to grow in different health niches. Some may even result in sending you to different parts of the world.

Cons

The organization structure is somewhat confusing and unclear.

"Good: work/life balance. Bad: lack of opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Advisor in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time

Pros

The organization bends over backwards to support work/life balance. The work is interesting and supports an important mission. If you're in the right department, there are opportunities for international travel.

Cons

Very little opportunity for career growth as there is not much movement among senior staff. Internal politics often drive decision making. Still, it's a good place to work for a few years, or longer if career advancement/promotion isn't a priority.

"Advisor"

Current Employee - Advisor in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and great co-workers

Cons

Lots of politics at some level in the organization

"Good people but terrible executive leadership. Very frustrating and political."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Most of the people are very dedicated and mission oriented. It feels good to be a part of something that saves lives.

Cons

The senior leadership has horrible management skills and creates a very dysfunctional corporate culture. It's hard to move up because a lot of managers are "lifers",

Advice to Management

Make decisions without trying to please everyone. Don't ask for input if you already have a plan and don't intend to alter it. It creates lots of bad blood.