Ipas Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
John Hetherington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "New Interim CEO"

I worked at Ipas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, colleagues, opportunity to meet people from around the world

Cons

Downsides are minimal; challenge of working on issues that are not universally supported

Advice to Management

Encourage staff participation in key decisions and rebuild staff trust in the leadership.

2. "Making changes but still not good"

Pros

The mission and the work are important. It feels good knowing you are making a difference in women and girls' lives around the world.

Cons

Leadership is inexperienced and inconsistent. They play favorites and often hire people based on who they know and not what they know.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Great Mission Driven organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ipas is a fantastic mission driven organization that values its staff and provides them with career development opportunities. Its a flat organization and everyone all the way to the most senior levels of management practice open door policy.

Cons

I'm yet to find any significant cons that are specific to Ipas. Like any other organization, it has a mix of people that one works well with, and some one would find challenging.

"Staying because of the underlying mission, colleagues despite significant challenges"

I have been working at Ipas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues, some who take on the deep challenges with a measured bravery that inspires me. Very supportive and experienced middle managers and direct supervisors. Work life balance options and health benefits are good. Vacation and leave policies are good not great considering the field we are in.
    This work is under attack from all sides; it's never been more important work than it is now!

Cons

Non-transparent leveling has left people in the organization confused about where they fit and how/whether they are valued employees to Ipas as a whole. Some lasting inequities have been reinforced and gone unchanged with a new structure without a clear advocate or process for rectification. New CEO and COO are not visible during tough times and think they can simply re-write the mission and values of an organization with a long history and deep ties and commitment to communities. Some in upper management and human resources do not seem to understand that attaining health, access, and rights to abortion (or even the less principled though easier to sell "reducing unsafe abortion") is only possible when you acknowledge how power, stigma, race, and paternalism influence even the most user centered systems. The organization is losing amazing staff specifically some brilliant young women of color. I fear the next farewell email and mourn the loss of the energy to the organization and sometimes to the whole field as people who leave take jobs at less radically awesome organizations or in a related field. I leave the responsibility for all of the departures firmly at the doors of new upper management and the residual, unspoken effects of a deeply traumatic, multi-wave firing process.

Advice to Management

The world does not need another mainstream public health organization to work on abortion only to the extent that it reduces maternal mortality.
    Take the time to stop and learn about the reason people have hung on and toughed out very difficult change. Our motivation is internal and the urgency is clear to us. When you over-emphasize the "need" for these services or the dangers of not doing them, you are literally preaching to the people who have been doing the work of caring about and for abortion (and not just decreasing unsafe abortion) through harrowing internal and external pressures. Though the specific understandings of why we do our work may differ, we're not lazy, we do understand, and we have been deeply caring about the health, access, and rights of all people to abortion for a long time.

Also, take the lesson that these reviews are really teaching: yes, some people are satisfied with the direction and changes, but you can get that feedback any day in your offices and meetings; the fact that there are so many negative reviews of late is because there are no real opportunities to discuss, engage with, or challenge the major changes you are making. You are making changes that affect our work but also how this work is done in the world. Now is such a precarious era in our field and in the rights of women that it is no time to shut yourself off to feedback from the people who want it to succeed the most.

"No perfect job or employer"

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The passion and mission of co-workers is inspiring. The openly multi-culture environment broadens one's perspective on other aspects of life. Management is trying...lots of changes and adjustments. From personal experiences, as an employer, they are extremely tolerant.

Cons

Disappointed in attitudes and perspectives and expectations that employees get a "buy-in" on many decisions. Not a reality in the for profit employment arena.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully, act more swiftly and share timely.

"Personal agendas, weak leadership, low morale"

I worked at Ipas full-time

Pros

Passionate and mission-driven staff teams across the world! I would come to work knowing that what I was going to do that day made a difference.

Cons

The CEO and COO didn’t take the time to learn about the organization’s fabric and all the positive things that made it a great NGO before making major decisions. It seems as if their personal agendas (and perhaps egos) took over. Yes, an organization can always become more efficient and effective, but the key to change is; 1) understanding the context and 2) implementing and communicating a plan that addresses that context with respect and empathy. The organizational restructure and voluntary/involuntary separation processes demonstrated a desire to impose their agenda and leave those behind that questioned or disagreed with that agenda.

Since leaving, it seems as if employees continue to be nervous about job security and several young professionals have left. I believe this is a result of being frustrated with senior leadership and losing hope in their ability to successfully lead Ipas into the future.

Advice to Management

To Senior Leadership, take the time to learn about the past and embrace a diversity of opinions. Ipas was built off trust and empathy and it seems as if you have failed to recognize the 40+ years that made it a great place.

To the Board of Directors, talk to staff members that aren’t the C’s or directors to learn what is really going on inside the organization. Frustration will continue to result in low morale and staff members will continue leaving Ipas if they don’t feel heard and respected.

"Supportive and visionary leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance with dedicated co-workers. I feel strongly supported and trusted in my role. I love the prevailing appetite for innovation, experimentation, and risk taking that opens many doors for those hungry for a challenge.

Cons

Still going through a period of significant change. While I am confident about the direction taken, there is still quite a bit of uncertainty with regards to how we will get there as an organization.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating internally.

"Lots good change but !!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO and COO are focused on implementing long desired changes in Ipas. They have tried their best not to get distracted by the personal agendas that often compete with realizing the vision they have for Ipas. They however have stayed on course and have decentralized the programming and focused the attention on the country programs who know best what their needs are. It is quite possible that in the end Ipas will be better off because of the changes that have been implemented. Ipas remains a great place to get experience for young professionals before moving on to other places where they can grow their careers.

Cons

The long drawn out layoffs and, restructuring left a traumatized staff that seems reticent to speak out and are paranoid about losing their jobs. The joyful events that characterized the Chapel hill office are long gone and are instead replaced by hollow attempts to bring people together. It is not clear how one would grow in Ipas because managers (who are probably priced out of the market) seem focused on making themselves relevant which has resulted in creating inefficiencies in the name of creating value. Younger staff seem forgotten and are trickling out of Ipas in a steady drip.

Advice to Management

Remember your staff! You shine when you promote your employees and the work they do. It is pretty obvious to everyone when you are working on a personal agendas.

"Great people, poor change management"

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My colleagues are among the smartest, most competent, most dedicated people I have had the privilege to work with. Experts in their fields, all of them. I have learned and continue to learn from them every day. Everyone is focused on the mission, on rebuilding and improving the way we work. Strong relationships among staff. Innovative and creative thinkers. Good benefits.

Cons

The leadership is new to the field and knows little about the basic practices of change management. The restructuring of the NC office was a shameful debacle, the follow-up work was either minimal or just minimally communicated. Morale continues to be low. Confusion continues to be high. Internal processes unclear. Efforts to dismantle silos seem to have resulted in more silos. Changes have resulted in starker hierarchies that have impeded communication.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff. Trust the staff. Make evidence based decisions. If you ask for candor, be ready to hear it.

"Massive improvements in progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Ipas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My Ipas colleagues are a hard-working, impact and efficiency-driven, and fun-loving crew. COO is bright, energetic, motivational, and tireless in service of bringing positive change to Ipas and the women/girls we serve. Directors have significant overseas and non-Ipas work experience, bringing credibility, creative problem-solving, and diversity of thought to those positions and the org.

Ipas's push toward greater county autonomy and its long-standing practice of hiring local (not expat/TCN) employees in the field contributes to the feel good part of this place, in addition to being right for our mission, for the sustainability of our work, for local capacity, and for getting better bang for our donors' buck.

Good benefits: An earlier post indicated Ipas cut its paid maternity leave, which is simply not true.

Cons

Restructuring in Nov 2016 led to a significant number of long-time Ipas staff retiring (bitterly), which was unfortunate for morale. One part of the org was seemingly protected from the restructuring, which continues to be a pain point due to the inefficiencies in that part that remain from pre-restructure ways of working.

The new structure created strategic and overdue efficiencies, but likewise had to be "lived into" over the past six months to begin to feel the benefit of those efficiencies. Ipas is turning the corner and it's a joy to have these necessary, dramatic organizational lifecycle events getting ever-smaller in the rear view mirror!

Advice to Management

We are with you.