J-PAL Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

J-PAL Reviews

Updated 22 Sep 2019

3.8
J-PAL CEO Iqbal Dhaliwal (no image)
Iqbal Dhaliwal
Pros
  • "Great co-worker, good working environment(in 6 reviews)

• "I found managers who cared about my professional development and they helped me carve out a path of increasing responsibility and new challenges(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "They barely stands up for the RAs(in 5 reviews)

• "Tight work schedule and working hours are long(in 5 reviews)

"Extremely supportive and intellectually curious co-workers and work environment"

Former Employee - Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at J-PAL full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Supportive, collaborative work culture - High expectations - Smart and passionate peers

Cons

- Little room for upward mobility

J-PAL2019-05-02
  2. "Great in-field research experience"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate

I worked at J-PAL full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great research experience for budding researchers or who want to apply for graduate schools.

Cons

- Limited interaction with PIs.

J-PAL2019-07-31

"Very collabrotive!"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk

I worked at J-PAL part-time for less than a year

Pros

Supports team environment attitude

Cons

Independent working is often the leading mentality

J-PAL2019-06-04

"Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Senior Policy Analyst

I worked at J-PAL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unparalleled training on impact evaluation and rigorous research. Mission driven staff, very talented colleagues.

Cons

The organization is at the intersection of academia and policy and does not always navigate that divide well (i.e. academics are often more concerned about publishing than social impact and the reverse is often the case for staff).

J-PAL2019-04-15

"Amazing place to learn and kickstart career"

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at J-PAL full-time for more than a year

Pros

- smart coworkers - great office culture/good place to make friends - flexible hours - good mix of fieldwork - skills you learn on the job make you exceptionally marketable for grad school in the US/any jobs in policy and research.

Cons

- salary is a bit low for the sector

J-PAL2019-01-28

"Research Associate"

I worked at J-PAL full-time

Pros

Able to get into the details of the research, everyone was friend.

Cons

None that I can think of.

J-PAL2018-12-03

"Manager"

I worked at J-PAL

Pros

Working here is really exiting, you never stop learning, and you have access to the top economists on earth.

Cons

Sometimes is hard to develop a career inside the institution.

J-PAL2018-07-27
  8. "From a former RA"

Former Employee - Senior RA

I worked at J-PAL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great place to gain field experience - Get to learn diff parts of an org - admin, finance, research - Very supportive team and colleagues

Cons

- Work hours can be crazy and get out of hand if team is not supportive - Many times it may feel that you've been thrown into the sea and have to figure it out yourself.

J-PAL2018-05-15
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at J-PAL full-time

Pros

Innovative and important work in international development, super friendly colleagues, lots of opportunities for professional development and international travel, very accessible senior leadership from managers to executive director, open culture of up and down feedback and coaching, work from home Thursdays, pizza lunches and happy hours, almost no evening or weekend emails.

Cons

Not much work directly with majority of affiliated professors. Steep learning curve on existing research. Hours can be long when special projects come from regions or grants. Salary is average for non-profit world but don't expect to save a ton given Cambridge rents (though MIT benefits are nice). Be prepared for long and cold winter coming from warmer weather.

Advice to Management

Even though overall work life balance is fine, need to improve ups and downs in work hours to prevent burn out during special projects. Need more admin support for events and travel. Promote more racial diversity in hiring affiliates and staff. Raise salaries especially increase after promotions is not very high.

J-PAL2018-04-15

"What a deeply unhappy place"

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at J-PAL full-time

Pros

There is a lot to learn at this job, and some of your coworkers will be outstanding. This organization has done remarkable things in the past, but I am not sure what the future holds for it.

Cons

I worked as a manager here for over 2 years and boy, was this an unhappy place to be. First, I need to clarify: this is a huge organization. There are offices all over the world. I worked in the Cambridge office. The overall executive director of this organization verbally abuses his employees to the point that they literally cry (this did not happen to me, but to many others). It is remarkable to see this type... of treatment tolerated in a modern-day workforce, but it is allowed because it is really not that out of line with the culture. The culture, is, in general, extremely hierarchical. Employees lower down the ladder are directly devalued, to the point that it is assumed they are not going to stay for over two years. Managers are also not treated very well, and there is little actual room for advancement. During my time at the organization over half of the managers left. Several others left in the months after I departed.

Advice to Management

I really don't understand why such an unhappy culture is tolerated at this organization.

J-PAL2018-04-09