Joonbug.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan B. Gabel

"One of the best hands on experiences I've had up to date"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great for gaining experience and refining skills
    -Small employee size makes it easy to communicate with other personnel
    -Positive work environment and company culture
    -Questions are welcomed, as well as advice
    -Employee meetings are informative
    -Fluid communication with management and CEO promote more efficient work and understanding of your expectations

Cons

-Its a smaller sized company, just keep that in mind
    -Not a good choice for someone looking for a slower paced work environment

Advice to Management

Tech team can be a tad better overall and more conscience of time sensitivity.

"Amazing Team & Great Company"

Former Employee - Special Events Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Special Events Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joonbug.com is a great company put together by a team of very smart people who are motivating and helpful. With nightlife becoming such a large industry to be a part of, Joonbug.com offered me plenty of new opportunities to explore and many connections to be made.

Cons

It is important to learn how to maintain your life and work balance. During the busy campaigns known as Halloween and New Year's, it is important to keep a tight agenda to stay on top of all assignments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing you expand to new cities each and every year.

3. "Web Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is good. Culture is amazing. Got to meet great people working some of the events. Being a developer here i learned multiple programming languages.

Cons

Overkill during holiday season. (But i known this when i signed up for the job)

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Joonbug as Events Intern. It was genuinely a great experience- the event managers were open to teaching me, answering questions, and giving me real insight on what it take to produce an event. This was not a data entry internship, I was able to grow professionally and I really appreciate the opportunity as I still use a lot of what I learned.

After my internship, I was promoted to a full-time event manager. This was my first position after graduating college and it couldn't have been a better place to start. I wanted to work specifically in the events industry and gain marketing experience. I worked on event operations and marketing initiatives (social media, e-mail marketing). Yes, during campaign season it gets busy but it taught me how to correctly time manage and prioritize tasks- so I don't see it as a negative.

Most importantly, management is very upfront about the responsibilities and expectations of the position. As with any position, once you are comfortable with it, you are able to manage tasks with ease.

The work environment is very positive, you have the opportunity to work directly with the CEO and there are experienced event managers who have been there for 5+ years willing to help out if need be.

I definitely recommend the position to someone who is hardworking, willing to learn and have a good time. Working in the fast paced nightlife industry is a great way to make connections and learn a lot.

Cons

It is a small company, but with a lot of potential for growth. They are expanding into new cities.

Advice to Management

Management is very straightforward and approachable, I wouldn't change a thing.

"If you want to be underpaid, unappreciated, overwhelmed, this is the job for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Firstly, the down-time Summer months are a little less stressful and anxiety ridden if you aren't fired past New Year's Day. Secondly, you will meet colleagues that are down to Earth and friendly which is great because then you have someone else to talk to about how awful it is to work there.

Cons

1) Upper Management.
    Upper management micromanages unbearably. If you are hired for a specific role, don't bother giving any energy into providing solutions, suggestions, etc. because it will go their way no matter what - even though you are schooled and experienced in the field they hired you for. They are delusional about how inefficient any process is - again no matter what solutions or suggestions you bring to the table that can streamline processes, they will still continue to move forward with the same ineffective nonsense they've done for years which is causing them to lose business and clients. The company is family owned and operated so you will witness non-stop bickering and full on blow-outs in the office. They are also never on the same page on any topic / issue which creates loads of wasted hours in pointless meetings and projects.
    2. Office Environment.
    It is a very sterile, uninspiring space - cubicles and white walls and hideous carpet. This is unfortunate because from August until New Year's Eve, you will be in it for 7 days a week, on average between 12-24 hours. This is no exaggeration. See other former employee reviews. This was also failed to be acknowledged during my interview process. It is also frowned upon to take your legal breaks for lunch, dinner, etc. You are generally expected to order food or go get it and bring it back to your cubicle because there is always more work to be done. Upper management will try to milk you for as much work as you can humanly give without requiring a visit to the hospital for eating poorly and not getting enough sleep.
    3. Workload.
    The company is insanely understaffed because again, upper management tries to milk you one person for the workload of 3-5 people. This is because upper management needs to maintain their expensive lifestyles including going on vacation a beyond ridiculous amount during the year and supporting multi-million dollar homes and incredulous apartments. The workload is absolutely unreasonable and your plate becomes larger and larger as other employees quit and you absorb their workload.
    4. Employee Turnover.
    The employee turnover rate is comical - and that of a fast food restaurant. In the few years I was there, more than 40 people came and went - from interns to full time staff that had been there for years. Now, sure, some people can't handle a fast paced enviroment, large workload and stress, but even the hardest working employee, myself included, can't tolerate the extremity. In this company, you are expendable, no matter how great of an employee you are. They also purposely hire right out of school young adults because they know they can manipulate them into believing this is such a great opportunity and can underpay them and provide no long term benefits such as health insurance, 401k, etc.
    5. Benefits.
    There are zero benefits. No 401k, no retirement, and not even bonuses. I don't expect people who do a subpar or average job to get a bonus - but those that work insane overtime, spend money out of their own pockets every day for transportation and food beyond the norm on weekends and late / overnight hours, miss time with their family, friends and loved ones to benefit the company's / owners pockets should get something. You won't even get a pat on the back and a 'good job, thanks.'

Advice to Management

Take all these negative reviews to heart and make changes / adjustments instead of placing blame on everyone but yourselves. All these people are telling the truth. The CEO responses are hilarious and just a tactic to make people looking for a job believe all these reviews are by jaded and incompetent employees who were fired. Not true. People who have become friends through this job, have stayed friends and we all know who wrote these reviews. They are written by fully competent, hard working, great people who have taken time out of their day to warn others about what they are getting into because this company deserves to fail based on how they treat people. Companies who personally invest in their employees well-being and long term growth, will grow and prosper because in tern, the employees will work hard and be loyal to them. When you talk condescendingly to your employees, expect them to slave away their life for you, and provide no encouragement or reward, you can expect to gain zero back. Spend the proper amount on employee salaries. Have official office hours where people can have somewhat of a healthy realistic outside life so they can come back to work refreshed and function on a normal level. Implement real processes and maintain an organized atmosphere. The chaos, dysfunction, and 'winging it' approach is ludicrous. Train your employees properly so they have a chance at success. Be mentors and leaders, not jail wardens.

Jun 19, 2017 – CEO

Sorry you are so jaded for being let go. And yes I can figure out who the 2 or 3 of you are and I am sure you are upset that you were let go. I am curious why you do not put your names down, if ... More

"Stop Wishing. Start Doing."

Current Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Joonbug.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great team of people behind the company who are highly motivated and enjoy working hard while connecting with each other very well. As it is a fast paced environment, you do not want to be lackadaisical with your work. This relates to school in a way where if you miss a chapter, you will be very lost and not succeed. What sets Event Production aside from Event Planning is that you are producing the event from A-Z. Many Event Planning companies are there to receive a check from a client, execute the event and both walk away with smiles. When handling one of the most important evenings of one's year, New Year's Eve, it is crucial that the event is properly executed so the customer enjoys the entrance to his or her New Year.

Joonbug provides a great work environment where it offers endless networking. After being with the company for nearly two years, I can go ahead and say I don't think I would have been given the opportunity to speak and meet with some of the people I have dealt with throughout my course of work. Joonbug.com is a fast growing company with many opportunities one can ask for.

Some of the most important skills a workplace looks for in a candidate is writing a professional email or formulating an excel spreadsheet. After working here, I can go ahead and say I have definitely mastered both.

After joining the company at such a young age, I was given an opportunity to succeed early on while another employer may have laughed and looked right past me. A common saying, "Age is just a number", can be applied in my situation. It is not your age that will determine your work, it is truly your passion for what you do.

Definitely recommend the position for someone who is willing to achieve and execute the impossible.

Cons

Wishing New Year's Eve or Halloween occurred more than once a year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"WARNING: DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

-Really loved the fellow interns who worked here. We bonded over how much we hated working at Joonbug
    -There are some very nice, cool employees who work in the physical office, but aren't a part of Joonbug

Cons

-This whole company is a scam and a complete and utter joke. They have a total of 6 real employees, and cycle through interns continuously without giving any sort of compensation. This is the only way the company still has money and exists today. This has be illegal. Every season, they get a new batch of about 20-25 interns that do ALL OF THE WORK without giving any sort of pay, meals, or transportation.
    -no structure whatsoever
    -managers are forgetful and will assign a project and then never ask about it again
    -there is no real customer base, so your work goes unnoticed
    -6 out of the 7 hours of the work day, I was sitting at my desk bored to death
    -the ceo Jon acts as if he runs some sort of multi-million dollar company
    -the employees will lie to customers and companies they come into contact with
    -they basically scam everyone

Advice to Management

read the horrible reviews on this website and the horrible reviews on yelp...there's no helping Joonbug

Oct 3, 2016 – CEO

I am confused, you did all of the work? Or were you trained on how to do the events?

"Like a circus..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to the train to commute home.

Cons

- Everyone is always busy doing nothing, and angry when you are not up to speed.
    - Management can barely secure an account, and keep worthwhile clientele.
    - In the past they disregarded anything legal as far as copyright infringement, harassment... etc. until hit with legal action.
    - Like a boring college frat-house, minus the beer.

Advice to Management

Have actual goals / what management?

Oct 3, 2016 – CEO

sorry we do not have any accounts. Not sure if you worked here. We produce events, we rent them out and as you can see on all our sites, every venue is working with us every year. Maybe you ... More

"Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Learned a lot about creating spreadsheets, writing website newsletters, and promoting and managing events.

Cons

Some miscommunication, there were certain days where I was left without anything to do.

Advice to Management

More interactions between interns and ceo, have interns sit in more on staff meetings.

"Great networking and experience"

Former Employee - Contributing Writer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Contributing Writer in Miami, FL

I worked at Joonbug.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You met a lot of people at events and enjoyed a meal or two from now and then. Also it's a great way to learn basic publishing tools (CMS/Content management) for future digital content jobs.

Cons

No pay. Occasional inclusion of tip for free drinks and parking.

Advice to Management

Comp your employees