Journal Multimedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Journal Multimedia Reviews

Updated Feb 11, 2019

3.1
Journal Multimedia CEO David A. Schankweiler (no image)
David A. Schankweiler
  1. "Best Work Family"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked with the most incredible team. Everyone at this place became family to me. Benefits were good and the job was challenging but fun!

Cons

There was really no room to move up from my entry level position. Sadly, after the family business was bought by a bigger corporation, morale plummeted and Corporate didn't seem to care much about that like the family once did. my review scores how I felt about past management.

Advice to Management

I feel as though employees worked hard enough when they were trusted that working from home once in awhile shouldn't have been that hard to grant.

Journal Multimedia2017-10-11

"New owners are horrid"

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

Memories of what the company once was.

Cons

Utter incompetence of the new owners. You can’t cut your way to success but you can die trying.

Journal Multimedia2019-02-12
  3. "Just Ok"

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

Good people, cubicles, they try new things.

Cons

Nickel and dime everything, not much stability.

Journal Multimedia2019-01-02
  4. "Great company, fun work and CEO/top executives to work for"

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

Benefits, flex schedule and PTO to have a better work/life balance was great!

Cons

Some negative talk at times and office gossip got annoying.

Journal Multimedia2017-02-07
  5. "Sales"

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

Most of the employees got along, fair time off, off for most of Christmas week.

Cons

Poor managment, no training, unreachable goals, 401 match = 1%, they control 401, build your own account base - no accounts to start my territory, inadequate leadership.

Advice to Management

Be honest and real. I was made many promises only to be stabbed in the back.

Journal Multimedia2017-02-10

"No communication"

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

For the industry, the pay is relatively fair with a good amount of vacation days and fair health care plans

Cons

Nobody is management, above your direct bosses, really listens or cares to your concerns. Everything is said with a smile but there's a detached disinterest behind it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your boots on the ground. They see the market and are interacting with the customers every day.

Journal Multimedia2016-04-13

"Decent stepping stone"

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

Left before 2012, but that was the last year listed on here. Company changed names after I left.

Cons

Micromanagement. Had to check in and tell the secretary everywhere you went. A little too close for comfort. Not much innovation within company.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees.

Journal Multimedia2016-02-18

"Great Company"

in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia

Pros

Excellent benefits. They really try and make their employees happy. Open book policy so you know how the company is doing every quarter.

Cons

Some additional training specific to your job would be helpful. Also, some of management could use some guidelines/help in managing employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You show that you care about your employees and coming from an environment where that wasn't the case, its great!

Journal Multimedia2015-12-16

"Worse Management"

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is they have a stocked kitchen with lots of goodies

Cons

Management is horrible. their motto is "nothing needs to change since it has been working for 20years. We do not need innovation. It's not what we do. People - if you are looking to work here and at Pet Age - you will most likely leave like everyone does.

Advice to Management

Get with the 21st century. Be truthful and honest and understand the business. You clearly don't.

Journal Multimedia2015-11-18

"Are you a dedicated worker?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked many places and this is, hands down, the best company I've worked for. The company offers many perks (3pm Fridays during the summer, picnics, trips, event tickets, chair massages, etc) and benefits (adequate paid time off, 401k, and generous health benefits). For a journalism job, 8-5 M-F is a great schedule. The CEO is usually on-site and has an open door policy. They provide regular financial... updates so we all know how the different business units are performing. I appreciate the authority I am given in my job--no micromanagement. I feel free to try new ideas at the risk of making a mistake. The best thing about this company is the people. It is definitely a culture of motivated, ambitious workers (if you're not, you won't last here!), but we all have fun, too. I have read unfavorable reviews here about management not caring about employees, but I have not found that to be true. I have experienced only support in every interaction I have had with all of them.

Cons

In the publishing world, there are busy times and down times. It would be nice if we had flex time. They allow for a one-hour lunchtime, which you are expected to take. You cannot take a half-hour and go home a half-hour early. While I personally enjoy working in the office environment, it would be nice if employees were allowed to work from home a couple days a week. It would be nice if there were more... opportunity for job growth. Once you're in a position, you're kinda stuck there.

Advice to Management

(See cons listed above) and keep up the good work!

Journal Multimedia2015-09-18