Journal Multimedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
David A. Schankweiler

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Excellent benefits. They really try and make their employees happy. Open book policy so you know how the company is doing every quarter.

Cons

Some additional training specific to your job would be helpful. Also, some of management could use some guidelines/help in managing employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You show that you care about your employees and coming from an environment where that wasn't the case, its great!

"Are you a dedicated worker?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked many places and this is, hands down, the best company I've worked for.
    The company offers many perks (3pm Fridays during the summer, picnics, trips, event tickets, chair massages, etc) and benefits (adequate paid time off, 401k, and generous health benefits). For a journalism job, 8-5 M-F is a great schedule.
    The CEO is usually on-site and has an open door policy. They provide regular financial updates so we all know how the different business units are performing.
    I appreciate the authority I am given in my job--no micromanagement. I feel free to try new ideas at the risk of making a mistake.
    The best thing about this company is the people. It is definitely a culture of motivated, ambitious workers (if you're not, you won't last here!), but we all have fun, too. I have read unfavorable reviews here about management not caring about employees, but I have not found that to be true. I have experienced only support in every interaction I have had with all of them.

Cons

In the publishing world, there are busy times and down times. It would be nice if we had flex time.
    They allow for a one-hour lunchtime, which you are expected to take. You cannot take a half-hour and go home a half-hour early.
    While I personally enjoy working in the office environment, it would be nice if employees were allowed to work from home a couple days a week.
    It would be nice if there were more opportunity for job growth. Once you're in a position, you're kinda stuck there.

Advice to Management

(See cons listed above) and keep up the good work!

"Great people, great company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with JM for over three years now, and one of the things that most stands out to me as an employee is the family atmosphere and emphasis on company culture. Having been in sales for over 10 years, things like training and personal development are not just perks of a job, but critical when looking for longevity and opportunities within a company. JM is not only dedicated to helping each department hone their skills, but each individual. I've enjoyed my successes here and feel a definite sense of support and encouragement to continue thriving in my position.

Cons

Sales can be a challenge at times, but the right person will overcome.

"Great Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I spent more than eight years with Journal Multimedia in a position that I loved. The work was challenging and rewarding. Employees have input as to what ongoing training they would like to have, both personally and professionally. Also, company functions are scheduled throughout the year to make sure employees from all divisions feel connected. Opportunities to give back to the community through company sponsored efforts is also a priority. Owners are involved (in a good way!) in the day to day operations and have an open door policy.

Cons

I don't have any cons to share

"Top-notch employer, amazing place to work!"

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in the media industry for over 20 years and I can safely say that Journal Multimedia is THE best company that I have worked at period. Most businesses have mission statements and core values these days, but JM LIVES theirs. The company culture is alive and creates an amazing place to work each and every day. I often wish that I had connected with this company much earlier in my career, as I am convinced that I would have been able to maximize my income and work/life balance much better over the years. I would recommend Journal Multimedia to ANYONE looking for a career that is personally fulfilling.

Culture, executive management involvement in employees growth (professional and personal), and entrepreneurial spirit are all significant strengths of JM.

Cons

JM is not a place to "ride along" as an employee. Expectations are high and departments are very interdependent. If you are not willing to work hard you will struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have created a "best-kept secret" employment opportunity in Central PA!

"Excellent Place to Work!!!"

Current Employee - Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a growing and profitable company packed with great people. The people here are talented, hard-working, intelligent and they care …a lot. They genuinely care about each other, our customers, readers and attendees; and they sincerely care about the communities we serve. This group cranks out industry-leading work and has fun doing it. I’ve never seen owners so actively engaged in ensuring each associate has opportunities to succeed.

Plus the pay and benefits are competitive and there are loads of “perks” ranging from picnics and parties to gifts and recognition, to leave-early Fridays in the summer, extended holiday breaks and even chair massages.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little noisy with all the laughter and chatting after the weekend or when someone comes back from vacation …or just randomly. People who are negative and don’t have a positive attitude are usually not happy here (who knows where they would be happy) – sometimes we’re too nice to them for too long.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I will say the company has a really unique culture. The people here are some of the best I've ever worked with and have some of the best senses of humor I've ever seen - and yet, they still keep it professional. I feel wonderful about the philanthropic value the company has for the community. I will say I didn't feel like a huge player in the community until I started working for the company - like I feel like they put me on the map. The company increased my roll-a-dex by leaps and bounds - and all with a positive feeling of recognition by others. They're they "who's who". Training and efforts to help employees develop have increased recently. Upper management has an open door policy and several times a year asks for employee feedback.

Cons

I do wish there was more transparency at times, or understood why things were done the way they were done. Sometimes there is a challenge of feeling like goals are unrealistic or that little is done to develop an employee internally to advance, although they are giving you the training you deserve to perform your current duty. Sometimes issues take a long time to fix.

Advice to Management

Perceptions are very different depending on your level of employment. Transparency will give employees more a sense that you trust them. Accept constructive criticisms when you ask for them as a positive - the employees trust upper management enough to speak their mind.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

JM has had many consecutive years of growth in revenue and profits, which makes it unique among publishing companies. The culture is definitely fun, but weaker performers are weeded out and of course some of them blame the company instead of acknowledging their own shortcomings. Many employees are here for 10 years or more. The company takes a busload of us to NYC for dinner and a show each year to celebrate. Very nice!

Cons

Because there are several divisions and offices in different states there are very few opportunities for the entire company to get together.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company with a family atmosphere. CEO started an Associate Hardship fund. When the committee occasionally finds that the employee does not qualify for the hardship fund, they have given money to help that employee out. Summer picnics, Christmas parties and much more. CEO truly cares about his employees and has an "open door" policy.

Cons

No additional time off allowed after a cap of 19 days no matter how long you have worked there. Different departments so sometimes the communication between those departments is lacking, but they are aware of it and are working on it.

Advice to Management

With the open door policy in place, I feel that I have been "heard" many times over the years. No additional advice to management is needed

"Not a best place to work"

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

The paid time off policy is adequate and they offer 3 hours for medical appointments with out losing time.
    Early leave on Fridays in the summer.

Cons

Having to work during bad weather especially snow storms, when JM has purchased the technology to work from home. Silly.
    There is no opportunity for growth, once you are in a position you are stuck there.
    For a company that preaches about "culture" they have had a revolving door in all positions. Being unable to hold good people in positions should be a red flag to management.

Advice to Management

If the sales team cannot go out on sales appointments due to weather than non-essential personal should be able to work from home. Why invest in Citrix otherwise ? Safety should be a top concern.