Key Technical Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Family comes first"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company top to bottom. There were a number of employees that broke off and started a competing firm...likely the source of the bad reviews posted here. One of few companies I've ever worked at that recognize that family time is #1. Hours are infinitely flexible so long as a full work week is achieved and you don't miss client meetings. Clients and therefor work is always changing, so you never get bored. Management is always very receptive to employees problems. Advancement is a little limited, but if you ever want to leave, they will help you find your next job without any hard feelings.

Cons

Can be a little too much variety for some.
    Vacation and pay could be a little bit better.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Don't lose site of the practices that have contributed to the growth and kept all the employees so happy.

2. "Under the microscope"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Key Technical Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Turn over rate is extremely high, so you get thrust into leadership positions when people leave or are fired without additional pay or compensation. The negative reviews are true. Positive ones are from owners, part owners, directors, or family! Do the math..

Cons

This place is creepy! Never Have worked in an office with so many cameras. I mean really? All the doors are locked and everyone needs a badge to enter, but they still need cameras everywhere including the lunch room. The is supposedly an engineering firm. Why do they need cameras everywhere?

As for the work, the only engineering this company does is the lowest level detailing that companies don't want to do and feel comfortable outsourcing. If you like high turn over, always being on the bubble, being watched all the time, low level meaningless work, no career path, etc. Then this is a great company for you.

Advice to Management

Management leads by fear! Keep up the good work! I can't believe this company is still in business! Look at all the employees that have gone in the past couple years!

"Key Technical Employee"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been in business for over 30 years. I can say without equivocation that Key Technical has provided me with the best experience I've ever had as an employee. The entire leadership and management team has an open door policy. The best tools are provided for getting our jobs done. There is no micromanagement. The leadership gives us the tools and lets us do our jobs. Frequent unexpected and greatly appreciated perks to remind all employees that they are valued. Loyalty, openness, and trust in a family atmosphere is an apt description of the Key work experience. I give this team a five-star rating from top to bottom because they deserve it. If you get a chance to work for Key, seriously consider it.

Cons

There is nothing I can say negative about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Excellent Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had the privilege of working for Key Technical Solutions as an Account Manager and most recently the Sales & Recruiting Manager. I would still be working there today if it weren't for an opportunity that I just couldn’t pass up. Key’s reputation for an honest approach is something uncommon in this industry and is beyond debate. Key offers a plethora of opportunity in career advancement and earnings for their employees.
    The corporate culture has only gotten better over the past 12 months as management demoted and removed toxic individuals from the ranks.

Cons

Key is a very direct and honest organization which some people may have a hard time operating in that environment.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that you are on! The leadership at Key is composed of some of the finest people possible. Continue to stay committed to your culture and values.

"Disillusionment"

Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whatever pros there were in the past have dwindled substantially over the last one to two years. It is tough to watch

Cons

No opportunities for career advancement
    Employees are used as a means to an end - not their 'most important asset';
    Communication is non-existent across the board
    Tabs are kept on employees, and micro-management is rampant;
    No trust in employees from management;
    Management makes disparaging remarks regarding other employees;
    Within 12 months, a mass exodus of staff has occurred;
    Morale and employee engagement is extremely low

Advice to Management

Understand that you have human beings with feelings, lives, and goals. Respect the people who work for you

"Positive, enthusiastic, and rewarding place to work"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Lead, Electrical Designer in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had the privilege of working with some great colleagues on great teams in my career. But I would have to say Key Technical has one of the most positive, friendly and supportive work environments of any employer I have worked for. A great bunch of people to work with.
    The variety of experience gained through working on projects for a diverse range of clients is another positive, broadening my experience and keeping things fresh and interesting.
    The Key offices are spacious, modern, and have windows! A great work area like this is one more way in which the whole work experience at Key is enjoyable and positive.

Cons

If there is a downside, it would be that a business which does engineering work for client companies is vulnerable to fluctuations in the amount of work coming in, and all the risks that go with that. But this is the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You've created an environment where employees enjoy being at work.

"Company overview of Key Technical Solutions"

Current Employee - Sales & Recruiting in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Sales & Recruiting in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is very good as Key Technical Solutions (KTS) is very family-oriented and will always work with employee's to be as flexible as possible in realizing that people have lives outside of work. Employee's are not 'just a number' but everybody is known, and everybody is encouraged to voice their issues and/or concerns - and they are usually addressed in a timely manner. Management is generally quite supportive of the employee's, and this also makes for a good work environment`

Cons

The benefits are good, but due to the different 'business units' regarding contractors vs. direct-hire employee's, things can get a little confusing, and it seems that things can change fairly frequently. The PTO policy could be better, however, the 'flexibility' that is offered tends to 'make up' for this. Because the company is small, there seems to be only 'so high' you can go as far as growth (although for Sales/ Recruiting, commissions are uncapped), but if you're looking for a 'Sr.-Level' or Management role, you will probably not find this opportunity at KTS.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, and even though the company is making a transition from a 'small company' to a 'large(r) company,' the core values from when the company was small should not change. This means keeping employee's informed of decisions - especially ones that effect employees. Also, don't just think we're a 'big' company because of a few hires and policies, but try to effect change in every aspect of the company.

"Bright Future"

I have been working at Key Technical Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Key, all of the projects I get to work on are fresh and never dull. It is exciting and very rewarding.

Cons

Some projects require extensive hours.

Advice to Management

Love the open door policy.

"All about the money - CEO"

Pros

Fun atmosphere
    Nice and fun personnel
    Laid back

Cons

CEO is never around, doesnt know his own business but assumes he does
    Upper management
    Not very professional
    Stripped employee benefits

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"ES Review"

Pros

Flexible hours and project variability.

Cons

Atmosphere is very unprofessional and there seems to be corruption among the bosses.