Language World Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
William Glasser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work at!"

Current Employee - Healthcare Interpreter in Carmichael, CA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Interpreter in Carmichael, CA

I have been working at Language World Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been a year since I became a part of LWS team and my experience working with the company has been nothing but positive.
    As an interpreter I find my job very rewarding. I go to each assignment with a great excitement, because every appointment is different and there's always something new to learn. The greatest awareness of each assignment I go to is the ability to connect both patient and provider with an accuracy and in the end see satisfaction and appreciation from both parties. I've been told numerous times by providers how thankful they are for the service we provide, that our work is a tremendous help. Certainly when I hear such a good complement I become more proud of what I do. I find my job very fulfilling knowing that I help break the communication barrier between English and non-English speaker, connect cultures and make a difference! I enjoy it so much that I would love for it to turn into a full-time job!

It is a privilege to work for LWS and be part of such a great and professional team. My experience with all departments of LWS and each individual I worked has been very positive so far. Our scheduling department is always prompt and provides immediate help if there is any issue with an assignment.
    Our management is outstanding! I'm so grateful to have Vangie as my supervisor. She is so nice and supportive, always there to help with any question or concern. She is a fantastic communicator.
    Although I have only been with LWS for a short period of time, I have found the company and the people I work with to be amazing. This is a group of very dedicated and friendly people. I am proud to be part of LWS and happy to see that we keep on growing and keep on delivering great result.

Cons

None so far. The company is successful in every aspect . Any new innovation for the better always works and it shows.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Good atmosphere"

Pros

very flexible schedules, training provided

Cons

Sometimes there isn't enough assignments

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Office Manager"

I have been working at Language World Services full-time

Pros

This is such an amazing company!! From the president of the company to the office staff to the interpreters you couldn't ask for a greater bunch of human beings!! Truly a company that is passionate about helping fellow human beings. I would highly recommend this company for anyone who wants to feel a sense of comradeship and service to others!!

Cons

I have no cons as of yet.. if I was pressed I'd say it can be hard at times to understand others with very thick accents, but I looks at is as a learning experience :)

Advice to Management

I love that managers feel connected to the staff and are very approachable! Keep up the great work!!

4. "Interpreter"

Former Employee - Russian Interpreter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Russian Interpreter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Language World Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat benefits.
    Good relationship with the management and the CEO of the company.
    The owner of the company Bill Glasser is a very friendly, sociable person, whose skills to network are incredible; however, like any good businessman, he would rather keep his employees' wages the same as other firms, then standing up for them, and making that difference one wants to see in the world. Stacy Harjer is one of the best people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Terrible pay, absolutely not compatible with the market based prices.
    The rates are the same as they were 7years ago and not reflecting the percentile difference in inflation, meaning: the minimum wage goes up, the prices do to, but their rates stay stagnated.
    PEOPLE, YOUR EMPLOYEES, ARE THE WEALTH OF THE COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Being competitive with the other companies on the market does not mean to starve your employees. Do a better job in negotiation and advocate for your employees!!!

Apr 17, 2017 – Director of Client Relations

As always, Language World is grateful for feedback from our interpreting team and want to assure all employees past and present, that we've heard your concerns. We are on the cusp of rolling out... More

5. "Good for beginners"

I worked at Language World Services part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training program is beneficial for graduates, beginners, and unprofessional interpreters.

Cons

Low pay, rigidly high preparations comparing to the low compensations and little benifits, and some pushing to cover long distances appointments.

Advice to Management

Maintain your good/professional interpreters by elevating their pay; a lot of comparative agencies are offering the double price.

"Healthcare interpreter"

Former Employee - Medical Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great vision and mission. Flexibility.

Cons

Pressure from schedulers to cover appointments. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Examine internal relationships.

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of Client Relations

LWS hires and schedules interpreters based in part, on their stated availability. It is therefore expected that interpreters will generally be available within these timeframes. Our scheduling team... More

"Revolving Door..."

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter/Translator in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter/Translator in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much worth mentioning.

Cons

I applied to this company, in response to an ad looking for an experienced interpreter for a part time position in a call center. Soon after, I was invited to take a language skills test, which I passed. Then, I was invited to an interview in which I was told that even if I got the job I could not be guaranteed any number hours per week, not to mention any benefits. Also, I would have to be available to take on-site assignments, which I agreed on, but not before going through a lengthy "on-boarding" process, which included training and a list of immunization records that would date back to my childhood years. All within a 48 hour period. When I inquired about the training period, and whether it was paid or not, I was told yes, that the classroom portion of it was paid, but at a rate that could not be determined, between 10 and 12 an hour. The online part of the training would not be paid, since it was needed to comply with their client request
    To sum it up, the way I was treated was totally discouraging and condescending, which certainly reflects on the company's unprofessional and discriminatory business practices.
    Unfortunately, most interpreting companies out there are on the hands of unscrupulous business people, who only care about their bottom line.
    Sounds familiar?...

Advice to Management

Management what management?...

Feb 2, 2016 – Director of Client Relations

As an employer of professional healthcare interpreters, we are proud of our highly-selective and thorough onboarding process. Unlike all of our competitors, we employ 100% of our workforce and meet... More

8. "Professional company"

Pros

None until now , except limited benefits

Cons

Flexible schedule and good if you want to work more than one job.

9. "wonderful people to work with"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the team is very nice, and they help me as much as they can.

Cons

I only worked two hours per week, and I wish they can give me more hours.

Advice to Management

I wish I can give more hours

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of Client Relations

For languages of lesser diffusion, it can be difficult to meet the needs of our clients who have sporadic, low-volume appointment requests and our employees who desire more hours. Our recruiting and... More

10. "Interpreter"

I have been working at Language World Services part-time

Pros

- Flexible Schedule
    - Competitive wages
    - Great opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

- None, overall it's a great place to work.