Language World Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William Glasser

1. "Professional company"

Pros

None until now , except limited benefits

Cons

Flexible schedule and good if you want to work more than one job.

2. "Interpreter"

Former Employee - Russian Interpreter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Russian Interpreter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Language World Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat benefits.
    Good relationship with the management and the CEO of the company.
    The owner of the company Bill Glasser is a very friendly, sociable person, whose skills to network are incredible; however, like any good businessman, he would rather keep his employees' wages the same as other firms, then standing up for them, and making that difference one wants to see in the world. Stacy Harjer is one of the best people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Terrible pay, absolutely not compatible with the market based prices.
    The rates are the same as they were 7years ago and not reflecting the percentile difference in inflation, meaning: the minimum wage goes up, the prices do to, but their rates stay stagnated.
    PEOPLE, YOUR EMPLOYEES, ARE THE WEALTH OF THE COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Being competitive with the other companies on the market does not mean to starve your employees. Do a better job in negotiation and advocate for your employees!!!

3. "Good for beginners"

I worked at Language World Services part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training program is beneficial for graduates, beginners, and unprofessional interpreters.

Cons

Low pay, rigidly high preparations comparing to the low compensations and little benifits, and some pushing to cover long distances appointments.

Advice to Management

Maintain your good/professional interpreters by elevating their pay; a lot of comparative agencies are offering the double price.

"Healthcare interpreter"

Former Employee - Medical Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great vision and mission. Flexibility.

Cons

Pressure from schedulers to cover appointments. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Examine internal relationships.

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of Client Relations

LWS hires and schedules interpreters based in part, on their stated availability. It is therefore expected that interpreters will generally be available within these timeframes. Our scheduling team ... More

"Revolving Door..."

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter/Translator in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter/Translator in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much worth mentioning.

Cons

I applied to this company, in response to an ad looking for an experienced interpreter for a part time position in a call center. Soon after, I was invited to take a language skills test, which I passed. Then, I was invited to an interview in which I was told that even if I got the job I could not be guaranteed any number hours per week, not to mention any benefits. Also, I would have to be available to take on-site assignments, which I agreed on, but not before going through a lengthy "on-boarding" process, which included training and a list of immunization records that would date back to my childhood years. All within a 48 hour period. When I inquired about the training period, and whether it was paid or not, I was told yes, that the classroom portion of it was paid, but at a rate that could not be determined, between 10 and 12 an hour. The online part of the training would not be paid, since it was needed to comply with their client request
    To sum it up, the way I was treated was totally discouraging and condescending, which certainly reflects on the company's unprofessional and discriminatory business practices.
    Unfortunately, most interpreting companies out there are on the hands of unscrupulous business people, who only care about their bottom line.
    Sounds familiar?...

Advice to Management

Management what management?...

Feb 2, 2016 – Director of Client Relations

As an employer of professional healthcare interpreters, we are proud of our highly-selective and thorough onboarding process. Unlike all of our competitors, we employ 100% of our workforce and meet ... More

7. "wonderful people to work with"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the team is very nice, and they help me as much as they can.

Cons

I only worked two hours per week, and I wish they can give me more hours.

Advice to Management

I wish I can give more hours

Nov 3, 2016 – Director of Client Relations

For languages of lesser diffusion, it can be difficult to meet the needs of our clients who have sporadic, low-volume appointment requests and our employees who desire more hours. Our recruiting and ... More

8. "Interpreter"

I have been working at Language World Services part-time

Pros

- Flexible Schedule
    - Competitive wages
    - Great opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

- None, overall it's a great place to work.

9. "Exciting!"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Carmichael, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Carmichael, CA

I have been working at Language World Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish wonderful people of LWS inc. happy and prosperous new 2015.
    Big greetings and regards to Mr.Bill, Mr.David Landry, and nice Ms Vangie for giving me the chance to work with LWS and a lot of thanks to all nice employees and staff for facilitating the work through scheduling.
    Thank you for the medical interpretation training program you provided, it was not just helpful, but also encouraging and professional, and will definitely, help build our professional mutual future work. The mentors did a wonderful job during shadow and supervision assignments walking me along a successful interpretation path to become even more qualified.
    I'm doing pretty good in my assignments, and that is because of your guide.
    I'll do my best in coming 2015 to be at your convenient and satisfaction.
    Big HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cons

Sometimes, patients come along with their families, or come together with spouse or siblings (more than one recipient). That's what I call a challenging interpretation session!

Advice to Management

Actually management is strong, and problems are solved wisely. I would rather encourage interpreters to be honest with managers, and not act individually in order to complete managers' goals.

"You will not get looked after"

Former Employee - Medical Interpreter
    Former Employee - Medical Interpreter

I worked at Language World Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The one star is for the paid annual CEU training and occasional interesting assignments from medical providers. Good for starters if they want to gain more experience as medical interpreters.

Cons

No benefits, no promotion and bad management.
     You have to be available as stand-by/on call for at least 20 hours a week but sometimes you get no assignment at all. The driving time is sometimes longer than actual interpreting time depending on your location. They do pay mileage/travel time but they are for more than one assignment for that day and that is rare too. Promotion is scarce and that might not even be based on merit but your relationship with management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your interpreters and be fair to them.
    You are not the only company/agency that pays mileage/travel time and also others compensate 2 hours minimum for each job while you are not.

Jan 6, 2015 – Director of Client Relations

Language World Services would like to make mention that LWS employee interpreters, while not eligible for traditional benefit packages, do receive numerous perks to include: Fresh Bennies (A ... More

11. "Executive Level Consultant for Language World Services, Inc."

Current Employee - Healthcare & Human Service On-Site Language Interpreter in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Language World Services part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This on-site healthcare/human interpreting service agency is unique. Only agency in California that tests, trains, mentors, supervises, mandates observations/assessments and CEs of its "employee" interpreters. Interpreters are given classroom instruction and continued guidance that is unprecedented in this industry. They have flexibility in balancing personal life and work schedule through both Supervisors and Internet Scheduling system.

Cons

The pay is between $20 and $37 an hour depending on the location and complexity of the on-site assignments. The training, supervision and leadership is very strong; however, assignments are based upon client needs and are unpredictable. Ex: An interpreter may have 20 assignments one week and 2 the next. It is even more problematic if you speak a language of lesser diffusion. This industry is growing dramatically and poses challenges to LWS in meeting that growth.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your interpreters and investing in the quality side of your interpreters. Communicate more clearly to your interpreters as you make changes and anticipate challenges. You are the only agency that uses an "employee" vs. independent contractor model ... keep fighting for a higher level of respect for your interpreters and the LEP (Limited English Proficient) patients/recipients and medical/human service organizations that depend upon your vision of professional interpretation.