Locus Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Locus Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2019

4.4
Locus Energy CEO Michael Herzig (no image)
Michael Herzig
  1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Locus Energy full-time

Pros

Locus is a dynamic, fast paced company that is always innovating. Unlimited room for professional growth and responsibility. Great place to work!

Cons

Must be a self-starter and very personally motivated

Advice to Management

More company-wide meetings would be helpful

Locus Energy2018-05-03
  2. "Lots of changes recently"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Locus Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of good people there when I was there.

Cons

There has been tons of turnover recently.

Locus Energy2019-07-29
  3. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Locus Energy full-time

Pros

- Everyone who works here is very smart and driven, but super friendly as well! - Good health benefits - Commuter benefits - Wellness reimbursement - 401k matching - Snacks at the office

Cons

- Open office plan (just a personal con, I am used to cubicles hah) - Compensation - No pension - Felt a little looked down on when I left the office at 5pm, everyone seems to leave later

Locus Energy2017-01-13
  4. "Not bad"

Former Intern - Fleet Operations Inter in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Locus Energy for less than a year

Pros

The office is relaxed and the industry is interesting.

Cons

The work is often a little dull and teams sometimes lack direction.

Advice to Management

Stay small until you have enough work to keep your teams active.

Locus Energy2016-11-01
  5. "Great Solar Energy Data Monitoring Company"

I have been working at Locus Energy full-time

Pros

A quality company working on an essential link in the solar energy production chain

Cons

Somewhat distracting open office plan

Locus Energy2015-11-16
  6. "Awesomely positive place to work with excellent growth potential."

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Locus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting environment and problems. They are also a very health conscientious company I have ever worked for. I do not regret the 1 year 8 months that I spent there. The team is amazing as well with a lot of company outings. The team also promotes from within heavily. They move people to different teams as well all the time.

Cons

Features take precedence over all problems except production issues. This is not really a downside, just something that is.

Advice to Management

Having a developer, project manager and devops person sit with other departments to see their pain points. This will allow you to become way more efficient in those departments.

Locus Energy2015-11-13
  7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Locus Energy full-time

Pros

The company is providing a valuable service to the solar community. That's a great thing to be able to contribute to vs. something thats just profit minded. The employees in all departments of the company are great people to talk to or hang out.

Cons

Having lot's of work can be a curse & blessing, you're busy but sometimes thing can be stressful. In the worst case the work/deadlines can sometimes let individuals personal concerns or opinions take a back seat.

Locus Energy2015-11-13
  8. "Great culture, tremendous career growth opportunities, visionary leadership"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Locus Energy

Pros

- the culture is very loose and fun but also very rigorous in the quality of work - work is challenging, you get the opportunities to expand into whatever roles you excel at - very supportive of your aspirations - i have seen people transition from tech support to QA to software development - Locus empowers you to grow - get insight into Solar, lots of exposure into how it works from financing to monitoring to... analytics, to Operations and Maintenance - the leadership is mature and seasoned and visionaries who blow your mind every time you talk with them

Cons

- the industry and the company are on the cutting edge so there is always some risk of making the wrong bet or being ahead of or behind the market

Advice to Management

Keep the tight knit culture going even as the company expands.

Locus Energy2015-10-29

"Fantastic company making a difference in solar"

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Locus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started at an entry-level position and have been given opportunities to grow and transition into other roles. My boss is incredibly supportive, and so are my colleagues. The people at Locus Energy are smart, funny, and hard-working - they make it easy to come to work every day. Departments interact well with each other, and you can always approach people for help or clarification. Locus is a leader in the... solar monitoring industry, and we have interesting problems to solve. It's encouraging to know that the work you do each day is having a positive impact on our environment. Leaders are open to using new technology, and everyone's opinion is valued during design, development, and testing. The work-life balance is perfect - good amount of vacation, flexible work hours and work-from-home policy. We also have monthly happy hours, free lunch on Thursdays, and bagels on Fridays.

Cons

We could do a better job at estimating the time it takes to complete projects. That said, management has been open about this weakness, and they're working to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people that have high standards for themselves and their colleagues, and who are awesome to work with.

Locus Energy2015-04-24

"Fantastic, fast growing company in a field making a positive impact on the environment"

Current Employee - DevOps Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Locus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Locus's solar monitoring and analytics platform is helping to advance adoption of solar power, which has a positive impact on the environment we all share. The company is on the smaller side now but is growing fast. Motivated and talented individuals have an opportunity to make a significant impact on technology choices, implementation and overall success of the company. The work environment is fast paced but... friendly and fun with regular company sponsored happy hours, lunches and events. We have a group of very talented, professional and nice people working here. After working at larger companies for most of my career I truly appreciate the lack of red tape at Locus. Technology and implementation decisions are often made by consensus and with open minds rather than via a top down approach. Management understands that they have very talented technologists and both encourages and rewards those who can think outside of the box to deliver solutions. We also just invested in an upgraded, larger and cooler new office space in a great downtown location. In my 14 year professional career doing sysadmin, devops and technology team management for various companies, Locus is by far my favorite place to work!

Cons

I'm very happy working here so cons are tough to find. The only one I can think of is that our customer list, install base and feature set are growing faster than we can add talented technology professionals. We can use your skills and you can make a big impact here!

Advice to Management

Continue to hire top tech talent and grow the customer base. Continue to respect technology experts' choices on technological implementation decisions.

Locus Energy2015-01-15