Makovsky Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Makovsky

"Nice People But That's About It"

I have been working at Makovsky full-time

Pros

Good life-work balance. The people are intelligent with great management.

Cons

Don't coerce a culture that does not exist and stop wasting billable times on meetings and speakers that have no clue what goes on in the agency. Let your employees take reign and make the most of their time. There's a reason why there is a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Catch up with the times and don't be so scarce when it comes to investing in your employees or the environment. The CEO is a genuine guy but is delusional as to what goes on in the workplace. Don't pretend to care about your employees if you cannot remember their first name or know how to communicate with them properly.

"Poor Management. Beware."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Makovsky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, if you're willing to be belittled by senior management.

Cons

The worst management I've ever experienced. I was never given a proper job description or a list of duties and responsibilities. Then when I asked for more direction, I was treated like I should have magically known as if I was a mind reader. They will tell you what you want to hear and make false promises to get you to sign on the dotted line. Once you accept an offer, their true colors start to show. Be prepared to be talked down to.

Advice to Management

Have respect for people trying to make a career for themselves. You should focus on lifting others up, instead of tearing them down.

"Warm work environment with great opportunities for development"

I have been working at Makovsky full-time

Pros

Great company with supportive staff who genuinely encourage professional growth. Work with demanding but interesting clients, and the fact that the firm is mid-sized means you get more exposure and are trusted with greater responsibility than you would be in other firms.

Cons

Office decor is a bit dull.

Advice to Management

Happy workers make effective workers. Clients will come and go, but the more effective the workforce, the more likely it will be that they stay.

"Not So Smart People with Archaic Solutions"

Former Employee - Public Relations Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Relations Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Makovsky full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somehow, if you last a year without being put on probation because of petty politics, not getting overtime for 13 hour workdays, and survive their degrading demeanors - you can actually get another job that pays slightly better.

Cons

Completely unprofessional and catty. They have absolutely no process or system in place, so they blame their own managerial inadequacy on their lowest level employees.
    Never met such paranoid ineffective people in my life. Their entire agency is hanging on by a thread and they're pedantic enough to drive out the only people who actually did the work in their organization for none of the credit. The worst experience of my life

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor to cover up your sham of an agency. Create a real system where employees are on the same page, not errand boys that just happen to be highly educated. Respect people instead of degrade them.

"Unprofessional and old school"

I worked at Makovsky full-time

Pros

I'll get back to you.

Cons

Cliquish culture, old school PR practices, uneven talent. Could be unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Clean house

"Imagine what you want to do, plan, monitize it, and do it!"

Former Employee - Health in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Health in New York, NY

Pros

Makovsky -- though 36 years old -- remains in evolution. It is a firm with heritage and yet very young. One stellar person, dedicated to the profession with great ideas and the ability to realize them can make a big difference. The firm comprises smart, engaged people who want to accomplish important things. Makovsky holds potential. All agencies have pluses and minuses -- and all agencies can become great -- it's all about people working together! There is great kindness among the people at Makovsky and many are uniquely special and dedicated to building great community. There is a constant desire to be fair and thoughtful. If you're looking for a workplace community, this is a good place to consider!

Cons

People are the firm's greatest asset and hold the greatest potential. With clear direction and strategy, they can unite and focus on a common business goal. That said, when the minds of the community wander, it's an arduous trek forward. It can all change with a snap. No worries! If you are thinking of working at Makovsky, consider it! The challenges that exist can happen anywhere and at anytime. It's a talent based industry -- one person at the firm can make a difference. You could be that person! Game changing is never easy!

Advice to Management

At a time of great transparency, where everything is known quickly, it's best to be timely with information and gain staff input and support. Openness strengthens ties and trust among people -- at all places along the career journey. Growth makes everything better and can lead to greatness. Focus on driving growth...and if it's not happening, reassess the plan quickly. "If you make a decision and it's not a good decision -- make another decision."

"Smart Employees & Smart Business Leaders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Makovsky full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong MAK U(niversity) - our monthly training and development program for employees.

Our Chief Creative Officer gave a really great presentation to the whole staff today on Branding.
    The catered lunch was delicious and the knowledge that he was shared was very valuable.

Last month there was an interesting Finance presentation where I learned important info I would not otherwise have been exposed to in my current role.

I'm learning so much working here and these monthly employee training and development sessions are making a real difference in my knowledge base.

Cons

We have a lot of trainings and events in the office, let's go outside of the office more often too.

Free soda, water bottles, perrier, snacks, catered lunches and breakfasts are great -- would be nice to have popcorn and healthy snacks in the kitchen too.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff and developing your employees - we have so many future leaders-in-training here.

"Best intern experience I've ever had. Not only do I feel like a respected team member, I'm constantly learning."

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

The people genuinely want you to succeed and help in every way. Their dedication is contagious.

Cons

Snacks would be a nice addition to the office.

"Enjoyable Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

All around I've enjoyed my time at Makovksy. We're surrounded by coworkers who genuinely care about mentoring and making sure junior staff grows within the company. If you can prove that you're focused and diligent, you are quickly rewarded. The work/life balance is pretty good and the company has vowed to put more emphasis on culture.

Cons

Not many cons. Could be more bonding/fun events with all practices but that's something that they're working to change.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the development and satisfaction of employees and be open to change.

"Best job ever at Makovsky!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Makovsky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely talented professionals and we're all winning PR together. Here at Makovsky, I always have mentors to turn to and friends to work and hang out with. We are very much a work very hard play harder culture. Drive, teamwork, respect and significant intelligence sum up the office. Oh and cereal-fridays are the BEST!

Cons

We need more Lifesryles events out of the office, always lots of fun when we all go out together!

Advice to Management

Keep talking to your employees and don't lose the special family culture. Too many other companies are based on hierarchy, levels and sheer size, we are nimble and connected with each other and most importantly, every employee has a say. Thank you Makovsky, I know I'm building a great career here.