Marketwired Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marketwired CEO Adnan Ahmed
Adnan Ahmed

Pros
  • Lots of hard-working and intelligent people (in 9 reviews)

• Most fellow employees are great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is out of touch with what editorial does for the company (in 8 reviews)

• Works off of a high turnover/low pay business model, rather than investing in longterm employee development (in 5 reviews)

"Good People and Culture"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

Lots of hard-working and intelligent people. They do try and create a culture that is enjoyable and rewarding. Lots of people have long tenure and knowledge to share.

Cons

Somewhat of a commoditized market despite their efforts to advance it through technology. Could have more clear paths to promotions, raises, etc. Would be better to have stock sharing like most startups.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees to help all departments.

2. "Not such a bad place"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marketwired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Immediate supervisor was great and helpful. The editors here are some of the brightest, hard working people you'll find.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with what editorial does for the company. There's not much room for growth.

"Garbage Pay/ Garbage Benefits/ Garbage Leadership/ Garbage Growth"

Current Employee - Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Marketwired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I leave the door.

Cons

Everything! From the low pay to the joke benefits, I have lost all hope for this company and I am looking elsewhere as we speak. There is no light at the end of the tunnel they keep promising, I don't trust upper management and morale is low. With 20 people leaving our department alone. Also some of the co-workers, not all, some are the biggest sycophants I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

It doesn't take a person to go to the London School of Economics to figure out that editorial is in the worst state it has been. Where everyone is leaving the door and morale at a all-time low. We are constantly told that help is coming and we will get the wage and benefits we deserve. C-levelers have no clue what we do and see us as expendable. With that being said I am looking vehemently elsewhere.

"Great people, very mundane work experience, biased supervisors."

Current Employee - Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Marketwired part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people will probably always be the only good thing about Marketwired. There is a group of wonderful, smart, capable editors that are doing the day-to-day work. Everyone is very nice. Office culture is pretty laid back and casual. Lunch is provided on occasion.

Cons

Senior management seems extremely out of touch and there is a huge amount of client issues that plague the editorial department. People get to walk all over the editors and supervisors simply dissent to them. Leadership operates on a favorites-only basis. The corporate memos and messages seem super unorganized. There is a huge disparity between certain editorial staffs' work output.

Advice to Management

Management should consider the voices of the editorial department more so than the supervisors. Supervisors are basically glorified babysitters. Certain employees pull far more weight than others.

5. "Fast paced company defining social communications, working with big brands and aggressively growing."

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marketwired full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, collaborative environment that focus's both on individual and team achievement. There is a good mix of veterans with 5+ years experience and new team members with a fresh perspective. Solutions are good and you get to really help your clients, rather than just serve them. Marketwired has managed to stay a step ahead of the market, and their competitors, which make it easy and fun to add value. Client list is great and the smart people you get the work with aren't just internal, great exposure to early adopters and influencers. Company vision is compelling and achievable. Lot's of room to grow in an evolving market.

Cons

Social Media is driving change across the world of communications, it's no different at Marketwired, as the company sets the stage for it's next wave of growth, many processes and practices need to change. This can be unsettling for some people. While there is plenty of space for influence, if you crave stability, this probably isn't best situation you. At times can be chaotic, however, those that embrace the pace of social evolution, will find the challenge rewarding.

Advice to Management

Get out and meet your clients, they have a lot to offer. Don't be afraid to be loud and proud!

6. "Onwards and Upwards"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketwired full-time

Pros

Marketwired is a company that is at a critical point in it's growth trajectory and for anyone who wants to impact a business and solidify a career in sales, this is the time and place to join; especially in the Chicago office. Pros: Committed Executive Leadership Team that is aligned towards a common goal, Open Access to Senior Leadership, Outstanding Product Mix, Ability to make an impact on an individual level. Ability to be a part of an organization that is changing the traditional wire business and integrating social analytics. This is a truly collaborative culture that rewards performance and everyone is out to help you succeed.

Cons

When changing an industry, there will always be those who want to stick with the status quo. If you want a job where you can hide out and not be seen, this is not the job for you. However, if you want to truly develop in your career and to be a part of a performance based culture, then this is a great place to be!

7. "Sales Account Executive"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marketwired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture, open communication, and the drive for success are the best aspects of Marketwired. The leadership has set us up for success and given specific career paths for success!

Cons

I would appreciate it if Marketwired matched the 401K for US associates!

Advice to Management

I believe Marketwired should match the 401K for US associates. The improvement in open lines are communication have been a great improvement, but I still think the compensation plans could be better.

8. "Great experience overall"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Marketwired full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people across the board. Coworkers were smart, easy to work with and eager to lend a helping hand. I have had some great managers that taught me invaluable career building skills. Sysomos has great brand recognition and many top fortune 100 clients. Social listening products have been historically best of breed. Hard work is rewarded. Great experience overall.

Cons

Slow product updates and adaption to fast moving market.

"All Negative Reviews Are From Underachievers"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marketwired full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Let's face it, if you're an underachiever or just not meant for sales, you should be happy that you were able to hide for 9 months to a year. Like any job, if you can't hit your number consistently, you won't make money. I sit next to a new girl who has worked here for no more than 6 weeks and she just closed at $80K deal in 2 weeks and her goal is $20K for the month. If you have a little swagger to you and are committed to succeeding, you'll make a ton of money. The products are best in class and Marketwired's pricing is always very aggressive. With the client roster we have, the products almost sell themselves - all you gotta do is get in the door. All these overly negative reviews are very deceiving. This company has A TON of upward momentum and are already working with 35 of the Fortune 50.

Cons

The one con I have is that you don't get any equity in the company, even if you've been here for a very long time and been very successful. Outside of that, not much. Some believe it's tough to advance into higher positions, but these are the same people who were too scared to ask for it in the first place. Back in 2010 and 2011, the management team was lackluster, but the company has been on fire recently making a ton of key hires poaching executives from Fortune 500 companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the advancements in the products and keep paying your dedicated/successful employees well to make sure they don't get poached by the 1,000's of Linkedin opps they get a week.

10. "Good people, good training"

Former Employee - Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marketwired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Good training. A great place for entry-level workers with some room for growth. If you're just out of school, bright, and can work well with people, this is a great place to start. Managers are supportive of whatever you're going to do next; they don't expect you to spend your life at Marketwire.

Cons

There is definitely a ceiling here. Most employees are not making a career out of Marketwire, and the managers know it. Turnover can be high because employees do not see the whole picture, and are sometimes not engaged.

Advice to Management

Give employees more insight into how the entire company works, from editing to sales, and everything in between.