Milestone Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Milestone CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free breakfast on Fridays, not much else good to say, co-workers are nice and can relate to the hell you are going through (in 9 reviews)

• You learn a lot and very quickly, especially if you don't have SEO experience because you will have clients assigned to you on Day 1 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • A friend of mine started and had an email from a previous account managers client asking her to update something on his site (in 26 reviews)

• management is only concern for ETA and getting work done rather than concerned about employee work life balance and mental health (in 7 reviews)

"Contrary to the rating, this is a great place to work for!"

I have been working at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is good work! Every day is different. They encourage growth, with quarterly goals. There is a lot of freedom here for creativity and autonomy. People who work hard are rewarded and recognized. It is also possible to have a good manager here. The good news in that a lot of the negativity in previous reviews has been cleared out and the company is really open to the new brand and new change, with more emphasis on their employees.
    Breakfast on Friday's is great!

Cons

A lot of the downsides are being reevaluated for example, working from home. It's still an agency so it has a lot of the same issues that most agencies have - lots of fires to put out, never enough resources, typical amount of turnover. If that's not something you can deal with you should probably go in-house.

Advice to Management

I can communicate that to them :) and they may not always listen but I don't need to use Glassdoor.

"You're only as strong as your weakest link - here it's the Founder and Senior Leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Milestone full-time

Pros

Friendly junior staff and middle managers and free breakfast on Friday.
    Nothing else which is why I left!!!

Cons

This company will never progress because the Founder and senior execs act like team leads. Constant micromanagement and the inability to let others take control creates an environment of negativity and confusion. Employee churn is out of control and never discussed but clients have started to notice and are canceling at a higher rate. This has trigger even more micromanagement and impulsive choices which forces more to quit at higher levels.

We're on the race to the bottom.

We're always told our products are better and clients love us yet they continue to leave as fast as we can sign new business. Senior leaders strongly believe and openly admit that the services industry (in relation to SEO/PPC side of business) can never be profitable and don't try. The money is all dumped into, at best, slightly above average website products. This is not true whatsoever. There are hundreds of companies that make millions simply doing SEO and PPC.

The sheer incompetence is off the charts. People are yelled at, threatened to be fired, and more by the Founder and other execs.

Advice to Management

1- Stop creating fake reviews... it's obvious to everyone
    2- Stop micromanaging
    3- Hire more experienced people
    4- Give proper raises
    5- Don't think of your service sector as just a means to fund your tech products
    6- SELL THE COMPANY TO SOMEONE THAT CAN RUN IT
    7- DONT LIE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES, everyone talks to each other and knows the truth... you're only hurting yourself.

"Growing Company, Painful Experience"

I worked at Milestone full-time

Pros

- The team (most of them) are a great set of hardworking, loyal and smart people to work with
    - You learn a lot and very quickly, especially if you don't have SEO experience because you will have clients assigned to you on Day 1
    - Milestone tries to keep up pace with industry updates
    - Friday breakfast

Cons

Career Opportunities:
    None in client services. Only favorites of the president/founder grow because they have insane amounts of tolerance for her unprofessional behavior. Milestone is very bad at letting their employees know they're valued and that's why so many leave each month.

Compensation & Benefits:
    They try very hard to be considered a "Silicon Valley" company but without offering any of the perks - it's just a marketing agency trying to pose as a technology company. Medical, dental, and vision are actually okay. The amount of PTO is sad and you will have none for the first 3 months of probation. If you have to call off of work for any reason (you're sick, your child/dog is sick, you have a doctor's appointment, your house is on fire, etc.), it will be taken out of your already limited PTO. If you come in 1 hour late because of a doctor's appointment, you must submit 1 hour of sick time for your manager's approval. WHAT?!

Work/Life Balance:
    What is that? Working from home is not allowed. Account Managers are expected to have no life or life events (weddings, death in the family, child's school engagements) because of the aggressive deadlines. So if you really want to have a life outside of work - stay away.

Senior Management:
    Company founded and run by a couple - always a big red flag! CEO (the husband) is actually sensible, while the President/Founder (the wife) of the company is a total lunatic. She is so good at driving away the best employees. She is a micro-managing, scatter-brained person with absolutely zero social skills - she should be kept in a museum. She needs to learn basic manners and communication skills - no one in her position should feel the need to raise their voice to talk to employees. Period.

Culture and Values:
    Toxic and demotivating work environment. EVERYTHING is monitored - chats with co-workers or personal on Skype are being read - it is no coincidence when something that you privately chatted with someone about, suddenly comes up in a conversation with the president or in your next review.

Everyone is looking for new opportunities on the side. It's easy to say nobody actually likes working at Milestone and are only there out of no choice or because of a visa situation.

Advice to Management

- Pretending like you are a successful company and calling everything you do "awesome", doesn't make you so
    - Listen to your employees, outside of spying on every little thing that they do. Value their opinions and ideas - some account managers understand their clients much better that the leadership may - leverage those relationships that are painstakingly built by hardworking employees
    - Stop posting fake positive reviews on Glassdoor- they stand out.

4. "Great Job! Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a while like most of people here, It is a very nice work environment and we have a good vibe at the office, I am talking about Santa Clara, where I am. Teams have good relationships and work good together, you have direct access to senior level for questions about analytics, strategy, SEO, PPC.... You would learn everyday about digital marketing, they really do the best SEO for hospitality industry out there and the work is just nice.... To optimize hotel's websites of all types... from Hawaii to NYC! Really love it!
    Of course, the free breakfast, free food and happy hours also help ;-)
    Bottom line: I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Sometimes workload can be overwhelming and demanding! The company is evolving which is not bad, but they just need to keep it going and do it for real!

Advice to Management

Some upper management is still a little old fashion...

"Reckoning needed., proceed with caution!"

Current Employee - Customer Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CMS technology
    Good people
    Location
    Leads and some directors knowledgeable
    Breakfast

Cons

This place is like the lego movie, everyone is singing everything is AWESOME,, awaiting taco Tuesday, while Lord. Business Evil is using her krazy glue to prevent any real movement. Or progress. T he problem is most of us including all the leads and middle management are spending time trying to avoid the lordess'' glue gun.

Advice to Management

Put down the krazy glue, let the people do our jobs.,,,before its too late,
    We are quite astute and completely capable orf recognizing a bad plot line,

We just need Batman to save us,,,, oh wait,,, that's a different movie,

Creative types proceed with caution

6. "Simply love it"

I have been working at Milestone full-time

Pros

You put efforts and recognition is sure to come regardless of size of contribution.

Cons

More ownership at all levels

"7 Years Strong - Still Going"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Milestone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been working sales here for 5.5 years, worked the call center 1.5, and I can only say that you are given more than enough of the tools to succeed in both. I was given a sales position with zero experience straight out of college and I am here to date, so as long as you are a competent individual, you should have no problem making money.

Cons

Open office environment is at times distracting

Advice to Management

Could use more team building opportunities outside of work

"Seems promising, but falls flat on reality"

I worked at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few pros I can think of; positive outlook of only the top executives..that's all I can think of.

Cons

Like most of the negative reviews the expectation of the bill of good your sold falls flat..every time. Ego of the Founder and CEO are out of control, they have wild expectations that will never turn into reality. There is a lot of micromanaging due to the inability of the software to actually function. Account managers have a huge workload, and aren't enabled to do anything or actually do much technical work, that's all outsourced to India.

They don't allow much travel, even though being face to face with a client is very important. They expect to see high results without spending the money. There's also a bit of an identity crisis between being a software company and digital marketing agency, they want to do both which is why they are failing at both.

I would also caution people to believe the 5 star, glowing reviews. In my experience no one was that happy working there.

Advice to Management

Decide what kind of company you want to be, you can't have it all unless you want to be mediocre. Trust your employees and empower them, that's the only way you'll get to the next level.

"Flexibility needed to keep up with change"

I worked at Milestone full-time

Pros

Small company with direct access to senior leadership

Cons

Small company which pulls you in many directions with exposure to many new products and ideas. While this seems appealing, it is mixed in with a level of micromanagement from the president and CEO that diminishes much of the positive.

Milestone Response

Mar 2, 2017 – HR Director

Dear Former Employee: Thank you for your feedback - we really appreciate it. I wish we were able to have this conversation prior to your departure from Milestone since your Pros and Outlook for the... More

"Good Intentions Blurred Expectations"

I have been working at Milestone full-time

Pros

People are great can be cliquey at times...but all are trying to find their way in the industry

Cons

Poor management in some departments, no defined process or structure, extremely high turn over. If you are there longer than a year your a unicorn. The VP who started the branch didnt even want to be there anymore and left.

Advice to Management

Have some...promote those who deserve the recognition and have been in the lower associates shoes. Create process for them that actually works. Dont say your going to something and a year later start working on it. Clients dont come first, employees do..and they will take care of your clients