NAMI Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mary Giliberti, J.D.

Pros
  • It deals with mental health awareness, a big need in these times (in 7 reviews)

• Everyone is very passionate about helping individuals living with mental illness and their families (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not team-oriented (lateral structure with 3-4 staff members; lots of closed-door meetings between Executive Director and whoever the (in 3 reviews)

• Will often do the job of 2-3 people with low pay (in 3 reviews)

"NAMI HelpLine Experience"

Former Employee - HelpLine Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - HelpLine Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at NAMI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Passionate about people living with mental illness and their families
    - Many employees have personal experience living with mental illness
    - Solid pay compared to other companies, especially for an entry-level position
    - Care more about life experience than work experience
    - Great career-starter for those just out of college or still working on a degree, especially in psychology, social work, or a related field.

Cons

- As a nonprofit, they are often stretched thin. Expect to work hard during your 40 hours, or spend extra time in the office as a salaried employee
    - Communication can be limited, especially between teams. A fair amount of "office drama" regarding structure of company
    - Often hire external talent for management positions, rather than promoting from within
    - Due to the nature of the work, you may sometimes encounter aggravated folks or people who are in emotional distress. Be prepared to mediate—understanding and patient applicants only!

Advice to Management

Be gentle with your employees and promote stronger communication. Consider employees' well-being as important as their performance.

2. "Case Manager"

Former Employee - Addictive Disorders Case Manager & Counselor in New Orleans, LA

I worked at NAMI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my co-workers on my team, flexible schedule, didn't have to be stuck in an office all day.

Cons

High stress work, minimal training & supervision, excessive wear and tear on my car without adequate compensation, employee input & ideas undervalues and largely ignored, management seemed to value logging face-to-face hours over quality of client care and employee well-being.

Advice to Management

Practice rewarding/praising employees for what they're doing right instead of focusing solely on punishing mistakes, it would make for much more positive employee morale

"Employees are not treated right"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I worked at NAMI full-time

Pros

-The mission is so meaningful. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in my teens and in my life I want to reach out to teens who are going through what I did. I thought NAMI would be the perfect start.
    -The volunteers are wonderful.

Cons

- We only got 3 days vacation per year. I am very much of a family person and taking family trips is very valuable for me. I was not able to get the time off that I deserved to spend time with family.
    -The smallest things were troublesome for the "board" (probably more the executive director):
       - I was told that I had to start saying my name in the greeting because the board would like to know who they are talking to (even though it is an office of 4).
       - A few times I came in about a minute or two late and I got pulled aside and talked to about it (one of those times I got into a minor car accident and the executive director didn't care and still wondered why I wasn't on time).
    -I felt like I did all of the work the others didn't want to do
       -Clean the office
       -The executive director asked me to empty out their car and put everything in the office even though they are perfectly capable of doing it
    -There were a lot of private meetings between the executive director and board members or higher management during work hours.
    -There is no employee handbook, therefore employees have no knowledge of what is expected of them
    -No opportunity to grow with your career
    -High turnover rate. Three employees left out of four in less than a year
    -As an employee, I felt like I was never trusted.
       -Cameras were installed, not for safety but to watch the employees as they were working
       -A checklist had to be turned in as the office was cleaned every week

Advice to Management

-From what I was told, the board makes many of the decisions. During my time there, I got the vibe the management was afraid of the board. If your employees are valuable to you, stick up for them. Unless of course, you make the decisions.
    -If you have issues with employees, don't be so secretive. Kindly talk to the employee(s) to address any issues. I felt terrified everyday to go into work because I was afraid of doing something wrong.
    -Focus more on mental health, maybe hire someone with more knowledge on it and have them give advice to callers and walk ins. Employees are business or creative people, not mental health advocates.
    -Board members should be more approachable/have an open door policy for employees. Talking to management is intimidating for any type of business
    -Give an update on board meetings to employees. They have the right to know what goes on

"NAMI of Erie County: Work Here Only if You Can Find Nothing Else"

Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Erie, PA

I worked at NAMI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Break into non-profit sector
    - Work with wonderful volunteers who care about the NAMI Mission
    - Break out of lower-level jobs, but only if you can deal with a lot of negativity

Cons

- Three vacation days and three sick days a year
    - No flexibility for when you work your forty hours/week (even on rare occasions)
    - Very high turnover
    - Secretive/negative work environment
    - Will often do the job of 2-3 people with low pay
    - Be prepared to get written-up if you make a mistake
    - Not team-oriented (lateral structure with 3-4 staff members; lots of closed-door meetings between Executive Director and whoever the #2 in the office is)
    - Very rarely given the opportunity to implement new ideas that you see an opportunity for (constantly told that "they were tried before and did not work")
    - Little opportunity to maximize your strengths to build your career
    - No solid employee handbook, aren't always sure what is allowed and what isn't

Advice to Management

- Great mission! Much would be possible with new leadership who has a heart for supporting those who have a mental illness and their families. It is needed!
    - Board members need to be more in-tune with current employees - there is a reason for the high turn-over. However, it is intimidating to speak up for fear of consequences.
    - Make sure employees are listened to and valued. Many who have worked there truly care about the NAMI mission, but move on (whether on their own or forcibly).
    - Change the way the organization is organized - a lateral structure with only four employees will not work. It must be a team effort - so much could be possible with this approach.
    - Honor your volunteers and rely on them to learn about needs in Erie - they are fantastic!
    - Focus more on NAMI Educational Programs. Fundraising is must-have for most non-profits, but is useless if the programs aren't made a priority.

"Learn to walk before you run"

Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NAMI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This review is about the national headquarters. NAMI has many chapters throughout the country that are run independently, but Glassdoor lumps them together, so be sure to check the location. Overall, there's a clear, meaningful mission. Flexible schedules with telework and many full-time remote staff. Salary/benefits below average for the DC metro area but not too terrible for a non-profit.

Cons

Weak infrastructure and processes. No transparency. No clear path for advancement, particularly at the lower level. Senior leadership, while having good intentions, lack business acumen and ability to execute operational plans. Tons of fights over territory and political in-fighting at the senior level. An unclear reorganization and a flat structure, combined with a culture of distrust, has led to no autonomy, intense micromanagement, poor morale, and high stress. This might be a good starter gig for entry-level employees, but experienced professionals, particularly those coming from established, well-functioning companies, will not be satisfied.

Advice to Management

The buck needs to stop somewhere--learn to make decisions and stand by them. Focus on establishing goals and learn to be confident that staff can carry out the work to achieve them without questioning everything. A little trust would go a long way. The need for consensus by committee on even the most minor decisions is creating groupthink and stifling innovation.

"Don't bother."

Former Employee - National Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - National Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at NAMI (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good cause....helping people who live with mental illness and their loved ones through programming,support, and advocacy. Can't take that away.

Cons

Lots of high paid positions at national level, with low in vestment in fundraising personnel. New ED, Giliberti is self-serving and unfair. You can devote your efforts to the growth of the organization only to be slighted at her discretion. Clearly no real diversity at national level - a few tokens...and a movement to push out people of color and older employees at high levels.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at NAMI full-time

Pros

Good cause; strong mission; great volunteers; flexible work arrangements;

Cons

Top leadership often lacks ability to lead; no clear plan; expectations are unclear or change; often a dysfunctional environment

9. "Warmline Support"

Former Employee - Human Resources/Administrative Assistant in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Administrative Assistant in Anaheim, CA

I worked at NAMI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a graduate of the para professional mental health worker certificate program, I find NAMI to be overall very beneficial to mental health consumers. I enjoyed my time working there and assisting consumers be it emotional support or resources.

Cons

I cannot speak poor of NAMI as a whole. I will speak on the Santa Ana branch. The OC Warmline out of Santa Ana is not managed well and creates counter productivity within the employees which in turn effects the consumers. Management has also proven to be bias and in a time of their own personal symptoms made poor decisions in hiring/firing as well as treating other management employees as well as warmline associates abusively and inappropriately in front of their colleagues.

Advice to Management

One of two of the mgmt. really need mental health evaluation themselves. It is unprofessional to be so unkind to other mgmt. and staff especially so publicly. I would have liked to have stayed but the work environment was too unprofessional.

10. "Mentoring in Santa Clara County"

Current Employee - Mentor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Mentor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NAMI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is excellent for people in recovery from mental health issues as it encompasses NAMI's philosophies of education, awareness, and coping with diagnosis. It is good for people who have diagnosis and can freely discuss issues and take time off if necessary without any consequences.

Cons

The pay-scale is under market but good for entry level work. There is limited funding for this program but there is planned growth if more funding is secured.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more about ideas rather than just plan for the future. Sometimes since the employees are consumers of healthcare services themselves they can identify new directions of need.

11. "great entry level job"

Current Employee - Contractor in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Contractor in Columbia, MD

I have been working at NAMI (More than a year)

Pros

great working environment, and co workers who are passionate about what they do

Cons

not much room for growth unless you are truly passionate about mental illness, and helping the community.