News Distribution Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Greg Peters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Average company"

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time

Pros

R&D team is thin but they are lean and mean.

Cons

Upper management is a few steps behind technology in terms of supports it gave

"Great people, disillusioned leadership."

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Be careful if you have applied or looking to apply for the jobs listed here! They are posting jobs under News Distribution Network because their current company name 'Inform' has a 1.1 on Glassdoor. Seriously doubt this is a mistake since they claimed the other profile to attempt to remove reviews and they have been Inform since August 2015.

That being said there are a few perks, but they are drastically out weighted by the cons. They do have office snacks on deck and some pretty cool people. They give the opportunities to really grow personally and understand what not to do in your next role. It can definitely help as a stepping stone to increase your base salary while looking for a role you really want. At first it will look like your normal start up, but then you will start to notice the cracks in the wall that run all the way to the foundation.

Summary
    - Great snacks
    - Great people
    - Decent benefits (paid for by company)
    - Market competitive salary

Cons

Ok this applies only to the department's that aren't ad sales. Ad sales runs this company and they definitely know it, attacking like the bullies on the grade school playground. They focus primarily on the money they can drain from the company and not about growing the company and pushing it into the future. Which is really sad because the concept of helping monetize online video is something that is needed for the clients they serve. There is so much more wrong with the ad sales division, but there is no reason to beat a dead horse.

Now onto the company as a whole. It's lost because it doesn't know what it wants to be, a video platform or an ad agency. The ONE person making the decisions and driving the company is delusional stating, "it's not the what, but the why". He is convinced that it doesn't matter how awful the product is, as long as the story behind it is good. This is the reason they have lost 100+ employees in the last 2 years. With most of the people that left moving into leadership roles across multiple industries (media, television, healthcare, and finance). Their product is about 2 years behind the industry and their story is from 2008.

The people that have been put in leadership positions at Inform, that haven't left our been fired (because they knew too much), are driving clients away because they continue to lie. To lie about revenue projections, product improvements, and the ability to monetize 100% of the video on a client's website. This has forced a culture of continued deception that just adds lie after lie to cover up the truth: they have no intention of doing anything that will stop or hinder the money going into the ad sales pockets. This includes fixing their aged out-of-date products and monetizing video on non 'premium' (defined by ad sales) sites.

Summary
    - Delusional leadership
    - No work/life balance
    - Hostile work environment
    - Ad sales focused
    - Frustrating business practices
    - Unethical processes/procedures

Advice to Management

Fire your "top leadership" and CEO. This will allow you to bring in fresh ideas and strong allies to push your product into 2016. Take the emotion out of the decision making. If one person is calling the shots and they keep failing, maybe it's time to let someone else take the reins. I really hope you succeed and grow beyond anything anyone has ever imagined.

Good luck!

"Account Mgmt"

Pros

Fun social environment for a while

Cons

Dysfunctional management team, poor tech stack.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people while I was there. Beverages were provided free of charge and a number of breakfasts and lunches were also given to us. Insurance was a free benefit at the time.

Cons

Management changed and direction was not always certain. This was what helped me make the decision to leave along with the fact that I would have an increase in income.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with the employees and tell them the short range and long range goals and why certain things are done after they have taken place.

5. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome People Great Technology! Offices are very open and The Apple products are a Huge Plus!
    Management is very attentive!

Cons

I cant think of any cons at the moment. Everything seems to be in great working order

Advice to Management

None

"This hurts."

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time

Pros

There are 4 cool people who work here, and there is a 100% chance you will be smarter than your boss. Other than that, there are no pros

Cons

MEETINGS! MEETINGS ABOUT MEETINGS! MEETINGS TO DISCUSS WHAT WE WILL DISCUSS IN THE NEXT MEETING!

Management here has no idea what they are doing. The three people who are the CEO's sounding board are completely unqualified for that role. The CEO decided to buy a content recommendation company, when the core product that drives all of our revenue is in dire need of an investment to improve our technology. Morale couldn't be any lower. This isn't an exaggeration, 95% of employees are looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Hire an experienced CEO and retire, because you are in over your head. If drastic changes aren't made soon, this company will be out of business. Part of me thinks you are trying to put this company out of business, and if that is the case, great job!

7. "Be prepared to work over 40 hours"

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Nice location
    Coworkers you can be friendly with outside the office
    Opportunity to learn new skills and take on responsibility
    Stocked break room

Cons

Unorganized management
    Expected to be on-call at all times

Advice to Management

Develop a better chain of command

8. "Always changing, high risk, high reward."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at News Distribution Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good equipment, good business idea, good healthcare benefits.

Cons

Management refuses to distribute responsibility and so everything bottlenecks.

Advice to Management

Listen to the market, quickly.

"HA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

free food, apple products, some of the people were really nice

Cons

everything besides the free food and apple products

"Enter at your own risk! Morale is extremely low"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at News Distribution Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apple Products
    Location
    Coworkers
    Free Health Coverage
    VP of Talent has the right ideas to change the company but doesn't seem to have the power

Cons

Unethical Business Practices
    Cable Cut off in NY office and we do news video's (go figure)
    Corporate Credit Cards Declining
    Lack of competence from internal IT support
    Letting employees goes at a rapid pace without notice
    Company Morale is POOR amongst employees
    Lack of Integrity from Engineering Manager
    Lack of communication from management
    Extreme fear of CDO who seems to be heavily medicated at times during business hours
    Employees drink heavily during lunch stressed about their job
    Extremely Poor Financial responsibility (company cards decline, partner checks bounce constantly)
    No communication from finance when things happen
    HR is just a name there because at the end of the day they want to protect their job
    Everyone is afraid of CDO and looks for jobs daily while at work to get away from her
    Cut off lunch and snacks without notice and that was a perk for employees
    Late paying bonuses to sales team
    Partners leaving because they see through the mess

Advice to Management

The only reason I am still at this company is because I am still searching for a job elsewhere. People have been let go that has been with the company for years or a few months without any notice. You just show up to work and notice the person missing. Several workers drink heavily at the Bucket Shop for lunch and reek of a alcohol upon their return. Management is too busy cutting people to even notice. 60% of the employees in the Atlanta location are looking for jobs and they think just because they are releasing a new product that will build morale! Newsflash employees are fed up from NY to Atlanta. To put it directly NDN is the most disorganized company I have ever worked for. The engineer team is constantly bickering and none of them trust the head of engineering, and they even challenge teammates to fights. The company is run on fear of leadership and false communication to it's employees. I predict that NDN won't even be around in 3 years and management is too busy covering up lies to see they are tearing down the very people they need to be successful the employees.

AVOID NDN at all cost! If you take a job here you will regret it! Trust me most of us are applying for jobs elsewhere as we speak.