O'Neil Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
James Lucanish

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company and Great People"

Pros

Good Company and Great People,good pay with over time.

Cons

Didn't work there long enough.

2. "Follow the bouncing ball"

Current Employee - Production Control Specialist in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Production Control Specialist in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fruit and profit sharing

Cons

low ball offers, managers can say and treat you any way they want. HR always backs your manager.

Advice to Management

Get a backbone HR and manage this company

"Avoid this company at all costs"

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time

Pros

Probably the old coffee that's been sitting in the kitchen for the last three days is the best thing about the company.

Cons

Everything here is backwards and old school. How can this company expect to be successful when everything done there is outdated. Old processes, old technology, and overall horrible environment to be in.

Advice to Management

The company needs to stay up to date on updating software and investing in building a positive environment.

4. "Operations Mgr"

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time

Pros

Monthly bonus, ok benefits, location

Cons

Mgmt philosophy, treatment of EEs.

"stay away/get out"

Former Employee - Database Developer
    Former Employee - Database Developer

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

About the only good thing I can say at this point is if you really just need some IT experience, you could learn some basic SQL skills, but I'm not sure that would be worth it.

Cons

This place has become a terrible place to work because of the recent actions of the current owner, Scott O’Neil, and the person he appointed to take over the company, the CIO the parent company, Terry Chan.

Before the events of 2016, each business unit under DAI was considered separate, which is how the original founder William O’Neil set it up and wanted it. Whether it was Terry Chan’s ambition that convinced the new owner (son) Scott O’Neil, or the desire of a new owner who needed to make his mark on what he himself did not build, I do not know. Nor does it really matter.

The point is that a fun, dynamic place to work with a real competitive business niche has been turned over to people who are very ignorant of what made it successful, and I believe it will affect the bottom line drastically in the long run.

It started when they forced out the de facto CIO of ODS, Anil Kapoor, who had built the company from an IT perspective from the ground up and been there multiple decades. This kind of power play happens all the time in business, but it was not presented honestly, and to this day makes no sense because the company has been killing it lately. What I think really happened is that the CIO Terry Chan came in on the other struggling divisions of the William O’Neil companies, and while he had success in managing their decline and cutting costs, he needed to have the “golden goose” – i.e. the division that has been the most profitable - under his control as well.

Some months later, after we had gotten through our busiest time of the year (to make sure revenue wasn’t affected), they forced out the longtime president of ODS, Jim Lucanish. This was also lied about by new management and presented as if he just had “another opportunity”, but again this makes no logical sense – and he himself never addressed the company he essentially built, which was a huge red flag. What this effectively did, though, was to eliminate any protection the current employees had, as well as any reference point to what an individual’s value to the company was. This was actually a smart move for a hostile takeover, in a devious sense, but they continued to lie to us that these were good things for us. The resulting chaos, which has had people re-inventing themselves, turning on fellow employees, and jockeying for position, has not only not been managed well, it has actually been encouraged.

Terry Chan himself has said he wants the IT department to compete amongst ourselves for which direction to go, which ultimately means compete to keep your job. This makes the environment completely toxic and unproductive, as the loudest people with the worst ideas usually win out.

Another issue I have is that this has been presented as a growth opportunity for our company, yet all the actions that have been taken have been of the cost cutting kind, with little or no real knowledge of how the business had been successful. I’m a decently bright individual who has worked in some pretty complex environments, but it took me a good 1.5 to 2 years to feel like I fully understand things. And it hasn’t even been a full year since Terry took over. We have heard many opinions, and directives, but I have yet to hear a single idea that we have not either thought of already or were already implementing. The only real changes that are happening so far are either cost-cutting (and thus hampering), or tantamount to re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Again, I think Terry Chan was great at managing declining or struggling companies, but does not understand what to do with a successful one that is in full-on growth mode. Scott O’Neil originally stated at the time of these changes that our company could double in revenue in 30 months (from 2016 levels) – which he at least had the sense to walk back to 40 months and then 5 years. It’s not ever going to happen though because of one final discrepancy between the messaging of management and the actual experience of working here, and it is this:

Scott O’Neil himself has repeatedly stated that “our people are our most important asset” (because he read it in a book), but the way we have been treated by Terry Chan has been as highly-disposable cogs in a machine. Look no further than Anil Kapoor and Jim Lucanish, essentially 2 founders of ODS, who with vast knowledge and experience in this business were simply shown the door because Terry wanted to be in control. Again, it happens in business all the time – just don’t lie about it and tell us it’s something different. On this subject I have a vast litany of examples that I will refrain from here, but basically Terry Chan wants people who don’t think for themselves and who will not challenge him.

Terry has also taken the monthly bonus program, which previously has been tied to overall company performance (and thus very motivating to help out any way we can and to become more and more efficient personally and as a company), and turned it into an instrument of control and fear. People depend on this money because we take the risk of a lower-than-average base salary, and plus it just makes it fun – more entrepreneurial. Now it’s been turned into a personal performance based thing (what have you done for me lately), and it has even been stated that certain people were getting their bonus cut to send a message. Good luck with that. Again – people don’t really matter. It probably will go away altogether eventually, which is sad because it has been such a distinctive feature of working here.

I have so little hope that this company will be successful in the long term under these people with these changes. If you currently work here, you should start looking elsewhere if you are not willing to get in line and sell your soul, and if you are considering joining here, just know that the best days are gone and it’s probably not even worth it to get the experience – there are much better, and more decent, companies out there.

Advice to Management

Nobody believes you. You can't get rid of Anil and Jim, with no good rational explanation, and expect the other things you say about the takeover to be truthful. There's no point in offering practical advice, because I think this is just a classic case of big egos, that would likely not admit failure.

6. "Established company with opportunity to grow!"

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time

Pros

Well-established organization with double-digit growth in last five years in the industry most consider mature. .

Cons

Can be a bit overwhelming during its peak periods

Advice to Management

Expand HR staff given the growth curve

7. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time

Pros

Great bonus plan and work environment

Cons

No 401K matching program which is the norm

8. "Great Company"

Pros

If your young, not going to college, and willing to put the time/effort into building a career this is the company for you. Great benefits, monthly bonus program.... The 401k program is also very good. Its printing..... Your going to work crazy hours during peak season. My experience with mgmt. is they want you to succeed. If you have a good work ethic, show up to work on time, and show an interest in the company you will succeed. There is a ton of opportunity with this company. I feel fortunate everyday that I landed at ODS. I've seen the other side.

Cons

No cons at this time to share. Great company

"Management Sucks!!!!"

Former Employee - N/A in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no Pros to this company why even list them!!!!

Cons

Where does one start. A current manager posted that if they only came to Management to voice the "so called concerns". Well if one actually did they would fire you within the week. The President Mr. Lucanish is a joke of a President. He delegates the dirty work of getting rid of people to the Manager's. You figured with firing so many people under the auspices of "sorry its not working out or its not a good fit". They would identify the underlining problem, themselves. I've seen to many Good people do by the wayside. The annual reviews are a joke because they do not conduct them in a timely manner and when they do conduct them its because their about to fire you!!!! The Presidents children who work there watch out because of they do not like you you're out of there quickly. Yes the Print Industry is fats pace but Management is slow pace. It really surprises me that they've survived for so long. Because Leadership truly sucks. You need to be part of the Inner Sanctum to survive, saw that first hand. If your part of it your safe if not start counting the days before your gone. They make your disappear faster that you can say the Disney saying "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

That pretty much sums it up.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and let the employee's hire good Manager's or allow Mr. O'Neil fire them and bring in Manager's that truly care for the employee's

"O'Neil Culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am disappointed to read some of the reviews because I believe that the negative ones are not a representative at all of the Company but perhaps of disgruntled associates who did not voice their concerns to management. When issues are just voiced to other associates and to sites like this, then it does not get resolved. The Company encourages associates to talk to their managers or HR if they have new ideas or concerns so that we can look at how either we can do things better or how the associate may need to look at the situation from another perspective. Some of these reviews are surprising because The Los Angeles facility has many long term associate, and there is little turnover.

O’Neil is a very stable company and is going through a great growth period. With that growth brings on new management that strives to streamline and improve production and change. Some may take this as micromanaging and may baulk at being pushed to step up and do things in a more streamlined way.

The associates that work at O’Neil are actually very nice and caring. We hire those associates who are driven, have a great work ethic and will do what it takes to get the job done. If someone wants to coast, then this is not the place for them.

Several reviews have mentioned nepotism. O’Neil is a family owned company and encourages a family environment; therefore, different families work in various areas of the Company because they have been qualified and met the job requirements.

Associates are compensated very generously with the Company’s monthly bonus program. It is a great incentive program because as the Company succeeds and as the associate puts in that extra time and effort, we all benefit as well. That shows that the Company cares about their associates, and that is why it has been successful.

Cons

This is really not a con, but one must be aware that the printing industry is a very fast paced and client driven industry, especially during the peak season many of our associates work overtime. This can be a big plus if one likes earning overtime and larger bonuses. Everyone knows to take their vacation in the off season and not in the peak season.

Advice to Management

Our people are our strongest asset.