OMSC Reviews | Glassdoor

OMSC Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

David J. Goldring

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company that has lost its way"

Former Employee - Multitasker in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Multitasker in Woodbury, NY

I worked at OMSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family Atmosphere, Good Benefits

Cons

Sales methods and Tactics have changed in the recent economic market.
    Digital shopping has diminished their sales numbers across all manufacturers

Advice to Management

None. They have been turning over the Management team every 3 years for the last 10. Confused future direction

2. "Favoritism and inability to innovate to market needs"

I worked at OMSC full-time

Pros

Family owned feel. Co-workers

Cons

During my tenure, they had multiple layoffs and voluntarily early retirement to stay afloat Due to the internet, I don't see how a company that was successful through the benefit of the lack of widespread information could continue to grow. Personnel reasons: they definitely play favorites and won't do what is necessary (cut from the top down)

Advice to Management

Need new blood at the helm. Time to sell Mr. Goldring

"Unethical and Exploitative"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative

I have been working at OMSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company paid for my move from the US . My particular office is much better than the environments you will find in other MAS locations. That's about it.

Cons

The company basically exploits the low level sales agents that they hire. There are no benefits (401K, retirement, housing, terrible healthcare plan, PTO, etc). You also have to work 6 days a week, standing outside "prospecting" for sales leads. Essentially you stand outside, regardless of weather, and solicit people for business. The program itself is great, but the way the company operates is very unethical. Essentially if someone has below average credit, even though you want to sell them an affordable vehicle, they really only care about the deal.

The other problem is that if you become ill, you are still expected to work. You are only given one day off to take care of any obligations you have. Essentially you're not able to really experience living overseas.

You are also expected to pay for every expense work related on your own. There is a reimbursement system, but its ridiculous that you are expected to pay for things such as paper, ink jet cartridges, fuel for the show cars, computer equipment, and advertising materials. You're also expected to pay for the company uniforms, which fell apart after one washing.

There is also no support after the first three months of moving. Japan, for example, makes it very hard for foreigners to find housing, open a bank account, etc. The company essentially wants you to stay in their housing and pay a ridiculous sum of money for what is really worth only half of what they are asking for. Every other contractor company will pay for housing, benefits, etc. It is insane that this is the only company that doesn't. Its a cycle that is planned since you are dependent on the company for housing (if you're not lucky enough to get out of it).

I was also living and working on a tourist visa for almost six months. The company sent me to another country and flew me back to renew it. The problem with this is that holding a US Passport, you need a "return ticket" back to your home country. I had to lie in order to get back on my flight.

The company also hires people who probably wouldn't pass an interview at a conventional company in their home country. I worked with people who clearly had alcohol and drug problems, people who had hygienic issues, and people who openly speak about prostitution when they travel to third world countries. It is a very degrading feeling to know that they are even on the same level as you. These people clearly would not pass the EQIP and background checks for a SOFA visa, however the company purposely keeps them on 90 day contractor ID's so that they can sell as much as they can.

During my initial interview process, I was lied to in terms of the "benefits" of working for this company. I asked about a retirement plan and 401K, however the hiring manager simply said "We will get to that later." It was a red flag, however the opportunity to live and work abroad overshadowed it.

Even the person that does the hiring admitted that if you have a family and is married, you are asking for a divorce. The reason is simple, working 6 days a week and if sales aren't enough to cover your expenses, do not expect help from the company. There is no draw, so if you don't sell enough cars, then you're not going to be able to keep going.

Anyone with a college education, avoid this company at all costs. This is great for people who have no other options professionally and who have no life. There is a reason why this company goes through people so quickly. You get burnt out from having no time off, the stress of possibly having a poor or even negative paycheck, and the threatening letters the company sends about revoking your SOFA visa (if you even get it) is just the tip of the iceberg.

The job in itself is not exactly hard. You read a scripted sales presentation and you advise a customer on their financial picture and what realistically they can afford. Its the pressure of management, the company, and the many days of standing outside with usually no one to talk to that really drives people to quit. It's mentally draining, especially for people who have professional backgrounds and have an education.

Another thing to note. Even though the HQ is in New York (also unreliable), the company is listed to be in Switzerland. Clearly a way to dodge taxes.

I highly suggest not taking this job if you see it on websites such as Gaijinpot. Sure, it pays a bit more than other occupations as say, teaching. However the training pay can be revoked at any time, even though it is stated that you earn it for one full year. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Restructure. The top brass in this company does not care about the low level sales people. Nor do they care about the military community that they are supposedly helping save money for. If there was competition on military installations, this company would simply die out.

Invest in your employees and offer the basics (401K, PTO, Sick Leave.) Give two days off a week and have a draw system. Even though the company wants employees to state that we aren't like the sales people at a traditional dealership, those dealerships actually have benefits and give two days off a week. You're better off working at a dealership than here. It doesn't take someone with an MBA to know that you actually retain loyalty and employees if they are happy.

After doing the above, hire people who are actually professional and do not hold criminal backgrounds or who were discharged from the military dishonorably. It is amazing the types of people who work for this company.

4. "Extremely Interesting Job"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at OMSC as a contractor

Pros

You can make a lot of money working this job. You can also learn a lot, and it is an outstanding option if you are already overseas, but have hit your head against a cultural glass ceiling in terms of career advancement.

Cons

Extreme working hours if you want to be successful (very little to no time off). Company is both very large and very small at the same time especially at the top. There is no board of directors, and management in my area seemed lost. A much smaller degree of freedom than expected depending on your location, this has to do with contracts regarding how business can be conducted at locations. No benefits, pure commission, sink or swim, high turn over.

Advice to Management

I know you're going through a tough time right now. Best of luck.

5. "Great place"

I worked at OMSC full-time

Pros

Can see the world, they provide a lot of support. Great comp package

Cons

You gotta get your leads, if you can't talk to people and generate leads then your kinda SOL

Advice to Management

Adjust commission agreement to be less incentivizing and provide more cushion for those tough months, I.E Q4.

"Family Owned and Operated"

I worked at OMSC full-time

Pros

-Lots of time off
    - Average insurance premiums and coverage
    - Monday thru friday; 9-5 type work hours

Cons

- Below average pay
    - Company has been on a decline while the economy has been going in the opposite direction
    - Office Politics

Advice to Management

Hire true leadership to take over the day to day responsibilities from the family.

"Watch out for yearly Lay-offs"

I worked at OMSC full-time

Pros

Passionate people, Laid back office, good pay and benefits

Cons

Business tied to overseas US Military size. Which is very small and makes it hard to reach sales goals. the CEO inherited the business and has no idea how to run it. The person who does know how to run it and could turn it around is not allowed to because the CEO doesn't let him.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO, Stop relaying on legacy systems and employees for everything.

8. "The best work experiences of my life. In Germany Europe, not GA"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Germany, GA
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Germany, GA

I worked at OMSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Massive support from management locally and nationally/internationally
    You get paid a fixed amount through your first 90 days to help you get established and focus on the job at hand without having to worry about money
    You earn what you are worth
    Chance to travel wherever the military is stationed
    Great quarterly and annual bonuses
    Longevity bonuses paid for three years plus with the company - just complete and have your tax returns accepted
    Massive longevity of the sales force - many like myself having been with the company for over a decade
    Tax advantages of being self-employed

Cons

Commission only after your initial 90 days, so some may not like this
    6-7 day working week - you need to enjoy what you do

Advice to Management

Keep it up.
    Let's have more marketing campaigns with a simple message
    Less reliance on CRM please. It dilutes the value of the human interaction from a 1:1 phone call which in turn may help increase staff turnover/decrease the effectiveness of looking after the customers who pay our wages,

9. "Decline in management skills in recent years"

I have been working at OMSC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexable with hours in some departments

Cons

Doesnt pay well or train management properly

Advice to Management

They need more training

10. "Great people, but no room for upward mobility"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist

I worked at OMSC part-time

Pros

-great people
    -flexible work hours
    -convenient location

Cons

-outdated technology often impeded work and made the work environment more tense
    -work was often tedious and never challenging
    -pay was not competitive, below industry average

Advice to Management

focus more on newly hired employees, they may have some new ideas to bring to the table and improve management processes