Ocean County Library Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Susan Quinn
  1. "Great Experience"

I worked at Ocean County Library

Pros

Great working environment and learned a lot of valuable professional skills.

Cons

A lot of staff vacations makes it difficult to keep up with longer term projects.

Ocean County Library2017-01-18

"Mangement"

Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant

I have been working at Ocean County Library part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Being a book lover, being able to upcoming titles. The pay I believe is competitive for a part time worker and you do get vacation and sick time. Flexible hours.

Cons

One word: Mangement! You think we were doing brain surgery the way we are micro managed. It’s a library! People sitting around in offices think up new policies, that make no sense, depends on which branch/manager you have how much they are followed. People would think a nice easy job, but between working with the public and the mangement, not as non stressful as it really should be. Also, they are all about diversity,...

Advice to Management

Stop just sitting in your offices and actually work with your customer base and listen to your front line employees to what is effective in making good customer service.

Ocean County Library2018-02-05

"Not Surprised...Really...Librarians are for people."

I worked at Ocean County Library full-time

Pros

Resources are by far excellent. The people, librarians and patrons, were talented and exciting to work with. They understood what the job entailed. Change was easily embraced.

Cons

When I worked with Susan Quinn years ago, I was surprised that people in the library did not run through the hallways crying. She is the reason why the offices and librarian staff do not work efficiently. Passive aggressive and ignores the larger picture, she is the reason why it is going down hill. Leadership needs to sit down and take a moment to understand what the patrons need and want.

Advice to Management

The Director needs to resign.

Ocean County Library2017-06-25

"Good place for a first time job"

Former Employee - Monitor

I worked at Ocean County Library part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedules Job is not very difficult Friendly coworkers and customers The people I worked with made the job great otherwise not as good. I would recommend to someone looking for a first job but don't expect to advance to a new position

Cons

No room for advancement Few pay raises only small usually only 1.5% so typically between $.10-.15 an hour. Work is dull but that is the nature of the job

Advice to Management

Listen to the people at the bottom they interact daily with the customers and have valuable information to share. Don't disregard our opinions. Promote from within give the monitors a chance at other positions instead of hiring from outside

Ocean County Library2016-10-20
  5. "Part Time"

I worked at Ocean County Library

Pros

Fun environment to be part of

Cons

Can't think of any cons at the moment

Ocean County Library2016-09-29

"It's definitely not what it used to be."

I have been working at Ocean County Library full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The support staff are basically nice people who work hard for little pay.

Cons

An administration that is out of touch with reality. Very high turnover. Not even a cost of living increase in salary (there's no money in the budget) yet admin gave themselves huge increases. Very low morale.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the support staff's needs and concerns. Maybe give them an actual raise w/o taking something away. It might just boost morale a bit.

Ocean County Library2016-08-25

"Bad for morale"

Current Employee - Senior Librarian in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at Ocean County Library full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lower level librarians and support staff are great! Your day to day co-workers make it worth going to work.

Cons

Management micro-manages and is judgmental. Staff constantly being questioned and taken to task.

Ocean County Library2016-09-17

"Used to be a great place to work."

Former Employee - Librarian

I worked at Ocean County Library full-time

Pros

The biggest pro would be job security.

Cons

One of the biggest cons would be job security for co-workers who don't pull their weight. This used to be a great place to work, but the current management team is more concerned with how things look than how things work. Biggest disappointment is a new (and costly) Maker Space, complete with sewing machines, 3-D printers, a 3-D scanner, soldering irons and a Silouette Cameo machine (for creating decals and all...

Advice to Management

I'm not optimistic that the management team would listen to any advice. My advice is to the library's appointed Commission members: start reading the incident reports; take a look around the library buildings and notice what is shabby; interview former employees to see why they left; visit other library systems to see what they are offering or even just look at the websites of other library systems and explore what OCL...

Ocean County Library2016-08-12

"Nightmare Organization"

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Toms River, NJ

I worked at Ocean County Library

Pros

Nothing worth working there for. Employees are unhappy.

Cons

My manager was an underskilled nightmare and lied to cover her inadiquite behavior and choices. The way people are treated there is bottom of the barrel. Adminstration is dysfuntional and unprofessional. Waste of tax dollars.

Advice to Management

Comission needs to fired adminstration and start over. Bad news.

Ocean County Library2016-07-28

"great place"

I have been working at Ocean County Library

Pros

Staff are wonderful, benefits are great

Cons

Parking at TR branch can be difficult

Ocean County Library2015-08-20