Ohio CAT Reviews | Glassdoor

Ken Taylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time

Pros

Market competitive benefits. 401K, Health Insurance...

Cons

Nothing at this time to speak of

Advice to Management

Keep up the communications

"Was a good place. Poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary. Decent benefits. Positive CEO

Cons

Poor management. Not enough technicians.

Advice to Management

Some managers need fired. No concept of current business, customer base, needs.

3. "Apparently cheating customers is a business model for CAT corporate too"

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO is a nice guy, but that's about the extent of it. Everything else will be listed below in cons

Cons

Caterpillar (CAT) admitted in court documents that one of its heavy machinery units cheated railcar customers by performing unnecessary repairs and dumped brake shoes and other evidence into the ocean. The unit agreed to pay a $5 million criminal fine and $20 million in restitution. Full article on Fox News. Google caterpillar cheated customers December 8,2017
     There's plenty of money being made without screwing internal and external customers. No need to be greedy.

Advice to Management

Please be honest, our customers trust us to do the right thing.
    Get rid of management screwing our customers so the mechanics will stay. Don't have the attitude "well the customer agreed to pay the entire quote" while drastically over quoting jobs.

"Management creates toxic environments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good hours with O/T available
    Nice benefits

Cons

Management has no clue on what they are doing, they hire people that have no skill set in the industry over people that have decades of experience and are respected by people in the feild.
    Management also tries to screw you over daily but not giving the support or help needed and does not listen to vaild complaints, yet they tell upper management and the owner that everything is great.
    Others that work there and are in support positions go on power trips and run people out (those same people on power trips have no idea of what product we have sold nor the knowledge of current products unless they find a printout of a former work order).

A number of the more knowledgeable technicians are retiring and management refuses to ask for new hires to come in and learn from those that are leaving.
    The techs that are not retiring are all activity looking for new jobs all due to the branch manager.
    Management also avoids any confrontation and will walk away and ignore you all day rathe then listen to vaild issues.

I would be very surprised if any of the current employees are still there in the next year.

The owner, Mr. Taylor is a great man and knows everyone's name, I do feel bad that management is pulling wool over his eyes all to make themselves and their numbers look good.

People are also treated poorly, if you are not a yes man/woman and jump to attention or brown nose management then you are treated poorly in regards to when you can take your vacation (even if no one else has the dates off) or what jobs you are given.

The current them is that people who work hard, and bring blood, sweat and tears into every job they do are treated like garbage compared to those who are "slackers"

It use to be a fun place to work and now a majority of people dread going into work due to how they are treated, they also go with the "guilty until proven innocent" way of things and will yell at you all on the word of someone, not even asking for your side of things.

I have seen people "talked to" by management because someone said they did something and the person being yelled at was on vacation when the event took place.

The union is a joke as well, they do nothing for you and management does not follow the company rules, they do what ever they feel like as long as it makes their numbers look good.

Everyone in the Cleveland area knows that Ohio Cat was the place to work and they would only hire the best of the best, and you would say with pride that you worked there. People would try their best to get jobs there and would be happy and would be there till retirement.

Sadly the toxic culture of management has ruined that reputation and have also run off customers.

Also, the amount of personal and vacation time is low, you can go to a number of other companies and start off with more or have more in five years then you would get in seven years at Ohio Cat

The company is all about safety and management will not spend the small amount of money to protect its employees and have outright lied during safety audits.

They also like to pit employees againt one another by saying one thing to one, and then telling the other the complete opposite and causing drama.

The only thing they care about is making themselves look good as well as the numbers being up.

Roumors are spread quickly, and are taken as gosple even though they are false.

In the time I have been there, 3 branch managers have come though and have left.
    Everyone thinks they are your boss and you must bow down and listen to every word and drop everything to do what they ask, even if you are helping others.

Sad to say there is no real point of being a hard worker and do better then coworkers as everyone gets the same perks or rare rewards.

Management also doesn't follow company disciplinary procedures unless it benefits them.

Moral is the lowest I have even seen at any company I have ever worked for and the only changes I see are for the worse.

If you look at the reviews with a lot of corn, most people think it's just a disgruntled employee out to make the place look bad, all the reviews I have read are true and have been seen with my eyes and a number of other people have seen the same.

Advice to Management

I truly hope that Mr. Taylor or other upper management reads this and implements a change, even if that means having a one on one or small group discussions with the office staff and other employees, an open and honest one with no repucussion on what is said, as a whole lot will be valid with paper backup and a number of witnesses that can back up with what is being said.
    Will they like what is being said?,no but it needs to be done if the company wants to survive.

Please listen to the employees without middle management around and you will hear the truth from the boots on the shop floor, without management trying to filter out or intimidate the employees with repercussions

Allow open discussion and be ready for a shock of what the employees are really feeling and not what the branch and other managers are reporting to you

Ken, and HR management truly need to come around and listen to people

"Management is toxic"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Most Co workers. Benefits are OK. Blah blah blah blah blah

Cons

Whoever posted on Oct 21 has hit the nail on the head. Several mechanics has seen what was posted and is in total agreement with what was posted

6. "Support"

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Owner cares about the employees.

Cons

Sexist environment. Management lacks skills to manage employees. Career advancement is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who do the work - they do know what they are talking about.

"Service"

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay for what you do in this role. The Operators Union - which you are required to join - offers training and certifications on all types of equipment. Many of the customers and a good portion of co-workers are great to know. As said in many reviews, Ken Taylor is a good guy. His staff keeps the blinders on him, but I believe him to be a genuinely good person. Probably the most visible and transparent CEO I've come across.

Cons

Where to begin... DRAMA! So much, it's like a Jerry Springer episode almost daily. We have people that are definitely not meant for their positions. Lots of politics, poor direction, inconsistencies in policy, etc. Constantly dealing with bad attitudes, disrespectful and lazy co-workers, mismanagement, among many other things. Sick time is a joke. 5

Advice to Management

Start over. Clean the slate and begin anew. You can't fix stupid, folks.

8. "Good Company"

I worked at Ohio CAT full-time

Pros

Work hard and you'll be promoted

Cons

Nothing major. Like every company there can be annoying inside politics

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

my boss is not a micro manager (but a lot are). some flexibility. generous bonus every year in March if company performs well. full benefits available. yearly meetings with 401k provider to make sure contributions are on track (very nice and informative).

Cons

paid time off is 10 days + 2 sick days for the first 7 years. then you get another 5 days. major holidays off though which is nice. decisions are based off union employees and their union contracts (which means if you are non-union, you are the last person they care about). laborers are union, office/managers/support staff are not. not a team environment...everyone seems to keep things to themselves so no one can "take over their job or do a better job". Gossip travels quick. If you have a company cell phone...they expect you to be available 365/24/7 which is absurd to me. Old school mentality. New ideas are not taken into consideration. Each division (AG, power, service, rental, parts) does their own thing. No synchrony. Not a team atmosphere.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter - they won't take it into consideration anyway! (it's true)

"Utility"

I have been working at Ohio CAT full-time

Pros

Money good is pretty good

Cons

Management sucks and wont look out for ya