Oneupweb Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great peers/Questionable Management"

Former Employee - PPC Manager in Traverse, MI
    Former Employee - PPC Manager in Traverse, MI

I worked at Oneupweb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to learn the industry, big name clients, large responsibilities.

Cons

Management didn't care about employees.

2. "This is not the old Oneupweb"

I have been working at Oneupweb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Understanding and flexible management, owner who cares deeply about his employees, exceptionally wonderful coworkers, above average benefits package, flexible hours, remote work possible, opportunity to work with large & national brands, opportunity to work with some of the most talented people you'll ever meet, no weekend or after-hours work.

Cons

As with all marketing agencies that manage dozens of clients during the course of a week, the flood of tasks and work can be stressful at times, it's not for everybody - you've got to be able to multi-task and change gears multiple times a day.

Advice to Management

Regular employee evaluation would be nice to have again, nothing super formal, but a chance to talk about strengths/weaknesses from both perspectives.

3. "Struggles & Rewards"

I worked at Oneupweb full-time

Pros

killer view and tons of opportunity to advance if you worked hard!

Cons

too many politics to navigate to get a job done with the former CEO

"Good Company"

Pros

Lots of experience for a new Manager

Cons

Too Many Hours and difficult to have family life

5. "If you like challenging and exciting work, then you will love Oneupweb"

Current Employee - Marketing/Advertising in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing/Advertising in Traverse City, MI

Pros

The people who work here are some of the most talented people that I have ever worked with. Everyone works hard and has the same goal, which is client success. Everyday is different, between working on client strategy, marketing efforts and content creation, I am never bored. The new Owner/CEO, Fernando Meza, is extremely passionate about what he does and under his guidance,the team continues to stay energized.

Cons

A view of the bay is worth half the pay...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, which is continuing to motivate and lead by example. It is really nice to have a direct relationship with each of you, and the open door policy is great.

"Top notch digital marketing, bottom shelf treatment."

I worked at Oneupweb full-time

Pros

- Excellent learning resource.
         Oneupweb is good at what they do, and they have a lot intelligent tools and people.

- Experience.
        You'll get your hands on many styles of work, and the daily grind will always differ and keep you on your toes

-People.
         The majority of the people really are caring and wonderful, notably the kind and helpful Human Resources department, despite their inability to overrule top level dictations. Managers also want to help you succeed, though there is an underlying "testing/teaching" method as opposed to the feel from within a regular professional organization.

-Office.
         The office overlooks the bay, and it houses beautiful full kitchens and decor.

Cons

- Environment.
         If you loved preschool, you will love Oneupweb. If you want to be reprimanded and live in fear of basic tasks like checking your personal email, responding to a text message, or having a normal conversation with your co-workers, you're in luck. You must be early to be on time, you receive an abysmal number of days off, a short lunch and a mandated break (I repeat, preschool), and Fridays off in the summer are more than made up for by extra long days the rest of the week. Which, although those hours are added up against you meticulously, do not expect to be rewarded for early/late training sessions.

- Responsibility.
         You will be responsible for executing outstanding work, but you will not feel that you are challenged or have any responsibility, as management will micromanage everything and constantly look over your shoulder.

- Trust
         You will get the distinct impression that the CEO is waiting for the other shoe to drop, for you to horrifically fail, lie, or quit.

- Respect
         Respect for your superiors is absolutely demanded, but don't expect much in return. There is nothing stopping from you being publicly reprimanded (i.e. cussed at). (This did not happen to me, though I witnessed it occur several times)

There are far worse places to work than Oneupweb. If you are extremely work oriented and enjoy regulation and working under authority, you will enjoy working here. They truly are intelligent and house several caring leaders. If you are looking to develop skills quickly, you will find them here. However, I would not recommend employment at this company to a friend, despite admiring their work. In fact, I feel it somewhat necessary to discourage it.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not like students. Give them challenges and control. Treat them with the same respect you demand of them. Your company could be unstoppable if only you viewed employees as trusted, necessary elements to success.

Apr 15, 2015 – Director of Business Strategy

We're sorry that this reviewer felt this way--but know that we're now under new leadership and new management. We encourage you to reach out to us directly--a lot has changed at Oneupweb!

"The abuse isn't worth it. Pride and power trips cloud business decisions and hinder real growth."

I worked at Oneupweb full-time

Pros

Having every other Friday off in the summer was nice, and there are some very talented people who have the potential for greater success currently working there.

Cons

I assure you - this post about Oneupweb comes not out of spite, bitterness, anger, or from someone who "just couldn't handle the fast paced, high intensity environment." It comes from the humble heart of someone who hoped for the best, longed for career stability, and unfortunately didn't take the time to find these reviews before accepting a job offer. This is written solely for the people who have the opportunity to avoid working here.
    Working at Oneupweb was like being in an abusive relationship. Constantly spoken (yelled would be more accurate) down to, berated in front of peers, micromanaged to the point of suffocation, and an overwhelmingly deep distrust in people are the reality you'd be walking into. The job openings aren't due to company growth - they're due to people not being there anymore for the reasons listed above.
    Oneupweb claiming that people have to be self-sufficient and determined in order to "make it" is a cop-out for the lack of proper training and supportive environment. You call it a sink or swim environment, I call it unprofessional and disheartening when you have no intentions of allowing anyone to actually swim. Not even an Olympic gold medal swimmer would be able to navigate the perfect storm-like conditions you create.
    If you're thinking of applying or interviewing at Oneupweb - don't. It's not worth it. You deserve to be at a company that appreciates you, nurtures you, wants you to succeed, and will be selfless in order to help you grow. Trust the reviews. Trust those who have been there. We aren't bitter, we aren't filled with hate or stuck in the past - we just don't want you to waste your talents somewhere you won't truly be appreciated. You deserve to be respected - relentlessly.

Advice to Management

Swallow your over-inflated pride and let those who have talents that you lack actually make some decisions for the betterment of your clients and employees. Or just keep it doing the same things you've always done. I'm sure you'll get different results. What did Einstein know anyhow, right?

"Abusive Environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Oneupweb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is well decorated. The company invested a great deal in the decor. Also, many of the staff members were nice, if they choose to stick around.

Cons

Very deceptive. You're lured in with a lot of promise, but then you discover the abusive truth. Staff are often humiliated before their peers, which makes everyone uncomfortable and paranoid.

Advice to Management

Work on professionalism.

Apr 15, 2015 – Director of Business Strategy

"Okay Career Opportunities, Poor Working Environment"

I worked at Oneupweb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a tremendous amount when I worked here, having been only a beginner when I was hired. If you are curious and want to learn, the opportunity is there for you - or it least, it was when I worked there. Great for building skills and pumping up your resume. Another pro is the swank remodeled office building and location in beautiful Traverse City Michigan.

Cons

The turnover rate of this company can speak for itself. It's unusually large. Most locals already know what's up, but If you are considering moving from an outside city to work here, I encourage you to do your research and get in touch with TC residents so you can learn more. Be prepared to deal with senior management that micromanages every aspect of your job performance, from scheduled lunch breaks to requests for doctors notes. Salaries are extremely low compared to industry standards, and vacation/sick time is limited during your first year(s). Finally, the general office atmosphere culture and environment is decidedly unfun and paranoid - at least, that was my personal experience during the 2+ years I was there before I finally quit.

Advice to Management

Your employees are parched and need watering. Provide more work/life flexibility and better job benefits for your staff, and look forward to the dedicated loyalty and increased productivity you can enjoy from this!

Apr 15, 2015 – Director of Business Strategy

"My experience at Oneupweb was somewhat disappointing."

Current Employee - Copywriter in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Traverse City, MI

Pros

Companies need this type of service and if there were some changes at the corporate culture level this company could do better. Some great people work at one up web.

Cons

The company tries to portray a 'cool' image, but the day to day reality is more of a production shop. The overall leadership is not really experienced. There is an element of distrust in general.

Advice to Management

You really need to an honest open trusting culture. How you get there I'm not sure.