PAWS Chicago Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 4, 2019

3.1
Kristin Leonard Pearson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Events / development office"

I worked at PAWS Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

#1 is the mission, everyone is so dedicated to raising funds to save lives of homeless animals. I always felt as though I was part of an amazing team of co workers that worked together to get projects done. The founder is still very passionate about saving lives and making Chicago no kill. All of the senior leadership is accessible to all employees to talk to and ask questions to. I was always learning more about animal welfare and given opportunity to grow within the organization. The work is very rewarding and I felt that I made a difference.

Cons

No real cons, but you really must believe in the mission for the work to be meaningful.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the mission as it is truly admirable work

2. "Supportive Workplace"

Former Employee - Foster Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Foster Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at PAWS Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, rewarding work. Very cool working with a large foster volunteer base.

Cons

The salary. Very challenging work, long hours. Management was always in some level of rearrangement.

3. "Animal Caregiver"

Former Employee - Animal Caregiver
    Former Employee - Animal Caregiver

I worked at PAWS Chicago part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to spend your day with awesome cats/dogs.

Volunteers are amazing.

Cons

Have to spend some time with incompetent coworkers, and pick up their slack.

There is absolutely no comradery. It is dog eat dog.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is doing their part to keep things running smoothly.

"Adoption Service Associate"

Former Employee - Adoption Service Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Adoption Service Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at PAWS Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of great staff
    -Most management is understanding of personal things that may come up and will be flexible with scheduling when need be

Cons

-Higher ups have no concept of day to day operations of their staff and don't make an effort to bridge this gap
    -Managers moved to positions they do not have the experience to be successful in, and are not given the training by the organization. This leads to managers that are uncomfortable handling dogs, unable to perform simple administrative tasks such as opening a tab, and basic customer service.
    -Horrendous customer service by management that leads to backlash for employees. Management would apply policies inconstantly based on their mood or personal prejudices. Management would often be accused of having racial prejudices by adopters, and would often joke about that rather than seek solutions.
    -Management unable to work solo while expecting employee's to be able to do so
    -Often unable to take lunch breaks because of lack of staffing and coverage, often management would fail to acknowledge that staff needed a break
    -Being expected to do much more than your job description for what was already low pay
    -Management constantly in disagreement about staff policies. This would lead to one manager telling employees to do things one way, and another manager reprimanding an employee for that work.
    -Poor education among staff on how to discuss behaviors with adopters- generally an easy population of dogs but with restrictions given to adopters with no flexibility, keeping the dogs in shelter longer.
    -Focus on donors over the work.
    -Management in meetings very frequently with no communication to staff, leaving essentially no management on duty. No communication with staff about decisions made in these meetings.

Advice to Management

-Listen to "lower level" employees & communicate.
    -Provide ongoing training to management including education on discrimination
    -Focus less on donors and appearances

"hard to know how to improve if you feel invisible"

I have been working at PAWS Chicago full-time

Pros

rewarding if you believe in the PAWS mission
    mostly great group of volunteers and staff

Cons

difficult to maintain a healthy work/life balance
    little room for upward mobility
    maybe it's just me but I've received almost no feedback on my job performance in years. it's kind of humiliating and sad to work on mandatory employee self reviews and not get a review or feedback from your supervisor in return.

Advice to Management

The organization does a lot of amazing things for Chicago's homeless animal population, and i'm proud to be a part of that. A lot of the employees feel isolated, though. We want to contribute more, and we want to know how we can do a better job to help the organization but a lot of us feel ignored. We can't do better if you don't give us feedback. I know I'd rather have honest feedback that's critical than nothing at all. It makes me feel like the organization could not care less if i'm there or not.

6. "Coordinator"

I worked at PAWS Chicago full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Employee discounts at any VCA
    Friendly company culture

Cons

Expected to work over 40 hours a week
    Underpaid and undervalued
    The most the company was willing to offer to increase the salary was a quarter during employee reviews

Advice to Management

Find methods to make sure employees feel valued.

"Development Office (Blazer Building) is a Disaster"

Former Employee - Development in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at PAWS Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Admirable mission
    -Dog friendly office
    -Casual environment

Cons

-The person in charge of the Development Office have no idea what they're doing. They're like deer in headlights. They've only been hired because they're friends with other people in charge. They're qualifications are minimal and they have no business being in charge of an organization of this size, or any organization really.

-There is no one to go to with problems. No one there can be trusted and no one there will take what you have to say seriously. Like this review for example - they will shrug it off and call me an angry ex-employee. There is no point in telling anyone your grievances because they won't listen and they'll just hold it as a grudge against you. They also don't understand the meaning of private and will spread everything you say around the office. Because of this, the office is very gossipy which create a stressful environment.

-People are fired left and right. If you take a job here, you will NEVER feel secure in your job. Once the higher up has a grudge against you or you make her mad, you'll be next on the chopping block.

-People quitting is also very common. Don't get too close to your co-workers because the second they spend more than a month there, they’ll be looking for new jobs.

-There is absolutely no respect and appreciation for employees. No one in a position of power will not stand up for you and no one will not take your side. You will always be disposable. You are expected to accommodate their every whim and don’t expect a thank you, a pat on the back, and definitely not a raise (and if you do get a raise, its a "very generous" 2%).

-Senior Management does not consider anyone in their decision making. They will make changes to your job without consulting you and you are just expected to adapt. Expect to take on MANY tasks that have nothing to do with your job title. They also make many adjustments to computer software and resources, like changing donation platforms, and don’t even bother consulting the data/donations department. It makes absolutely no sense and the only explanation is that management is arrogant and think they know best, when they actually know nothing.

Advice to Management

-Reevaluate who you have running the Development Team. Friends do not make qualified leaders, people with actual experience do.

-Respect your employees. Realize that they are sacrificing a decent salary and a normal 9-5 job working for you. They deserve better then what you are currently giving them. You spend more time showing appreciation to volunteers, which they deserve, but employees deserve that same appreciation, if not more. They are not lucky to have this job, you are lucky to have them as an employee.

-Stop acting like teenagers. Don’t hold grudges when an employee doesn’t do what you ask right away, messes up a project on accident, or expresses concerns about their job. Act like an adult and listen to them, help them, and be a real leader. Don’t lead with fear, lead with mutual respect.

PAWS Chicago Response

May 11, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are committed to continuous improvement, and value the input you shared. I would like to respond to a few things you mentioned.

PAWS... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at PAWS Chicago part-time

Pros

- Really great people that you get to work with, they understand that you have a life and that things come up

Cons

- Dealing with customers can be difficult when it comes to how they treat their animals
    - Learning to keep your cool when people come in that don't seem to care

9. "Volunteer"

Current Employee - Volunteer
    Current Employee - Volunteer

I have been working at PAWS Chicago part-time

Pros

Volunteers have a great attitude and are committed to finding the animals homes. Great attitudes.

Cons

If you are looking to become a volunteer it sometimes takes awhile to get the process rolling. You must attend orientation and then get mentored for 2 sessions which can be limited and fill up quickly. That being said, PAWS does a great job working with volunteers.

10. "Medical Center Volunteer"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PAWS Chicago part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great learning experience. They really appreciate the work you do.

Cons

The facility is a repurposed bank building, which means the space is not optimally designed for its purpose. Also, it can be stressful when dealing with neglected and/or abused animals.