POP Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Bill Predmore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great as well, I rarely have nights where I have to work late (in 7 reviews)

• Most people there are fun to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Project managers don't always give sufficient hours to complete projects, so I sometimes had to complete work at night (off the books) (in 5 reviews)

• I also didn't really see that work/life balance several people refer to here (in 3 reviews)

1. "Boutique Creative Agency"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small agency catering to a variety of clients. Strong talent base and a downtown Seattle location. Great benefits for an agency, including bus pass, and alternate commuting options.

Cons

Very little anonymity, very process heavy and big egos to navigate. They do not offer parking and surrounding garages are quite expensive if you need to drive.

"Great people, not-so-great structure"

I worked at POP full-time

Pros

Very friendly people -- honestly one of the most immediately friendly places I've worked. It all feels sincere. This was refreshing.
    Big-name clients that can be fun to work on and will look good on your resume.
    Nice, centrally located office space.

Cons

There's not much time for big thinking or deep dives; you're too busy slapping design and copy into place and getting it out the door before the next two-day turnaround comes in.
    Lack of ownership: creatives are swapped into and out of projects. You rarely get to work on one project start to finish. Instead of helping make things work more efficiently, this adds ramping up time, inconsistency and frustration.
    Too many levels of "authority": be prepared for everyone from a junior art person to your boss's boss to give you changes to your work.
    Very little opportunity for advancement: might be an okay place for someone more junior to come and move up a level but overall, don't come here expecting to advance in your career. It's not going to happen.
    I also didn't really see that work/life balance several people refer to here. Long days were a regular thing, as were being available for emails and texts well after hours and on weekends.

Advice to Management

Spend some time learning about how a typical agency is structured and apply some of that structure to your workforce. Not everyone should have a say in how something looks or is worded.
    Eliminate redundancy in positions -- too many cooks.
    Put actual processes in place for creative reviews and stick to them.
    Put the trust in your people to handle a project start to finish; don't switch horses trying to save time or coddle a special snowflake. It's hurting the work and morale.

"Great offices uninspired work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

5th avenue building is an awesome place to work. Most people there are fun to work with.

Cons

Disconnected leadership. Resistant to growth. Rarely promotes creative roles from within. High degree of turnover.

Advice to Management

If there is a problem there should be some conversation. Don't say one thing and do another.

"Hoping for better..."

I have been working at POP full-time

Pros

Really nice people. Nice offices.

Cons

Inexperienced and untouchable exec team. No transparency. Low morale.

Advice to Management

Exec team, accept responsibility for where the agency is at and then work outwards.

5. "Enjoyable work/people"

Former Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time

Pros

The people here are great. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

Cons

The work was decent, but like most agencies it's easy to get stuck in a rut. My advice goes for all who plan to work at an agency, fight for the work you want to be on.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep transparency with your employees. Keep giving praise to those who deserve it, and encourage those who might not be push to their fullest potential.

6. "Senior Visual Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team and workplace culture, one of the best I've been a part of. They seem to attract and retain the right kind of people, which has made working here an amazing experience. Work/life balance is great as well, I rarely have nights where I have to work late. The account and project managers work really hard to make sure the work is manageable. I've always felt supported and valued by my team. Overall, this place is pretty great.

Cons

I don't really have any cons, I've genuinely enjoyed my time here. It does seem a bit tricky to advance in your career, but that's been my experience at all the agencies I've worked at.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"All Good Things Must Come To An End..."

Former Employee - Visual Design Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Design Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP (More than a year)

Pros

Really decent culture, fantastic projects (at the time). Positive work environment.

Cons

Zero opportunities for advancement. Salaries aren't very competitive. Hard work goes unrecognized. These are the reasons I left.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and stop the disposable mentality. Some people would actually stay if shown the appropriate appreciation.

"Fantastic people, Top level leadership needs a revamp"

I worked at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

amazing people, fun work, ample learning opportunities

Cons

lack of upward mobility, executive level has had very little turnover and the stagnation shows

"great balance, minimal culture"

I worked at POP full-time

Pros

The agency really values finding balance for its employees; they've found a way to meet aggressive timelines and deliver quality experiences for great clients, all while keeping reasonable hours for the team.

Cons

Culture is lacking within the agency. It's really on individual teams and departments to celebrate each other and small wins experienced week to week.

Advice to Management

You have a great team and solid client roster, find ways to make the work environment even more compelling for candidates (and current employees).

"Sr. Front End Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly culture. Work with very talented people. Variety of projects to work on. Great work-life balance. Benefits are generous. Location is very convenient.

Cons

If you are not familiar with the pace of work within an agency, your first few months here might be overwhelming. That said, keep it up, for the pace here is not breakneck.