PetRelocation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Kevin O'Brien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Client Care Specialist"

I have been working at PetRelocation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are incredible. I have felt extremely supported since I started a year ago and I am thankful to work at such a fun office atmosphere. They are wonderful about flex schedule as we are dealing with different countries, time zones and out of office work time.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily say this is a "con", but it is an emotional job. You are dealing with peoples' most precious cargo and it can get emotionally charged. As long as you can deal with a level head, you will be just fine. You will work a little outside of regular office hours, but the flex schedule is wonderful.

"Seems great - until you start"

I worked at PetRelocation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, can bring your pet to work, downtown parking spot, close to bars (so you can have a drink after your workday)

Cons

It's a small company and there are a lot of high-school type cliques within the employees. Everyone seems warm and great during the interview process, and it's quite a different experience once you begin working there. The management needs work, and there seems to be quite a bit of turnover that occurs.

Advice to Management

The goals for the company and the employees were absolutely unreasonable at times and turned peers against one another. The company culture needs help and management needs a complete overhaul.

"Great Concept, Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at PetRelocation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    Free Parking.
    Knowing you play a role in connecting owners with their pets is satisfying.
    Gain experience in transferable skills and technology (ex. Customer Service, Time Management, Salesforce, Microsoft Outlook).
    Most the employees as people are good individuals.
    If you are looking to get your foot in door somewhere, gain experience and move on then this place is great for you.

Cons

Depending on where you are in your career, maybe some of these are Pro's, but not for me (see expanded explanations below:
    Lack of Career Growth
    Dangerous Culture
    No Accountability

Advice to Management

Advice to Management/Employees/Future Applicants:

Personally, the number one con is that there is no room to grow or advance career wise at Petrelocation. I only worked there for sixteen months and I can honestly say I saw the production team structure change 4-5 times minimum. Title and role changes often occur to provide the image to employees that growth is occurring. Being an employee that worked in an admin role and not a production (Sales/Client Care) one, there was no chance to grow with Petrelocation, not even fictitious titles. Non production is not valued here and is viewed as easily replaceable.

Culture: Culture and Core Values are a big thing at PetRelo, they preach it from the application phase all the way through the daily grind. I am a believer that having a positive work environment will help keep employees happy and the overall success of your business. However, if your culture is becomes TOO focused on the fun, the long lunches, the "working" from home, the when is the next happy hour, etc. and not about business first, it will fail. No company can sustain the work/life imbalance that occurs here. Metaphorically speaking: The animals shouldn't run the zoo...period.

Accountability: I have never worked somewhere where there is no accountability for your actions or the work that you do (or don't do). If continued growth and success is the actual goal here, employees need to be held accountable, stop treating this potentially great business as a friendly endeavor. Hold employees accountable.

When I first joined Petrelocation in late 2015, things seemed very positive. New leaders were put into place and structure was being established for continued growth and success. Since then, many promising employees have left, all leaders have chosen to leave or been fired (but we'll say it was their choice to leave) and growth seems like the furthest thing from possible right now. My advice: bring in a real CEO and have the owners step aside from the day to day, rehire leaders to establish structure and accountability and bring in additional sales people that sell. If it upsets long time employees, let them move on.

I write this review not because I am bitter towards Petrelocation, because I am not. I was given a great opportunity and I truly left when I felt the time was right. I believe in what this company does and changes need to be made to make it successful. Transparency is also preached at Petrelocation. While one off meetings day in and day out doesn't seem transparent to me, this review does.

"False advertising, I hope they've changed"

Former Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at PetRelocation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You gain expertise in worldwide animal shipping regulations, which is fun to have. Everyone is very nice. You learn a lot about stress management.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, zero perks, must be available 24/7. When they hire you they don't tell you that you are required to work through the night, updating people on their pets. I often had to wake up at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5am to email someone in Europe letting them know their pet arrived somewhere. And then you're still required to arrive at 8:30am in the office because this company doesn't believe in flex scheduling. They tend to fire anyone who shows signs of unhappiness or a desire to make changes. Seriously, they fire their best sales people. And don't worry, they won't provide you a work phone in order to make all those calls across the globe. Lastly, my interview took five hours because they kept forgetting I was sitting in the conference room. My mom thought I had been murdered.

Advice to Management

I was once told that I needed to be appreciated and that this boss couldn't/wouldn't show me appreciation. You can show your employees you appreciate them, do that. A high five is not incentive.

"Boat with No Rudder"

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at PetRelocation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group on employees in the trenches and customer facing.
    Bring your dog to work, fun to have the furry ones running around all day.
    Rewarding feeling to know that you are truly helping people and their pets.
    Downtown location can be fun at times, but has certain drawbacks.

Cons

Low compensation for having to work on a 24-hour clock.
    No paid parking or even a dedicated lot for reduced parking rates.
    Despite all best efforts, fundamental lack of real leadership.
    CEO is running day to day and instead of embracing the smartest 10%, he appears to be threatened by them and finds a reason for a conscious uncoupling. He is disorganized and often times impossible to understand because he speaks in metaphors and glittering generalities rather than implicit instruction and leadership.

Advice to Management

Embrace the top 10% and those loyal to the cause. Understand that it takes years to replace tribal knowledge and work hard to keep that within the organization, otherwise growth will always continue to be a struggle. There also needs to be a layer of management between top brass and the trenches, there is much more to the organization than protocol and dollars.

"Great place!"

Pros

passionate people, dogs everywhere, positive outlook

Cons

low pay, a bit stressful at times

"It was an okay job."

Pros

Great location, great people. Plus you get to help people move their pets safely and without worry. It's a good thing.

Cons

You're on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. People moving over seas happen at all hours, so know that going in. Management can be a bit flaky, but they're good people.

"Frustrating and Disappointing"

I have been working at PetRelocation full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, rewarding to see pets reunited with families, challenging work.

Cons

There isn't any real management or organization. The company is terrible at making decisions. This makes it confusing and frustrating to work there. They say they have culture and "values" but don't follow through enough or consistently. The CEO means well but he doesn't trust his staff.

Advice to Management

The CEO should not be involved in the day to day. It is not a strength of his. If he wants the business to grow, he needs to remove himself from operations decision-making. Or bring in another CEO.

There is way too much turnover. You should really think about that and understand how damaging it is to your business. And to the customers and rest of the team. The company could be great to work at, but it is so de-motivating. You should not treat team members as disposable.

"Lack of Organization"

I worked at PetRelocation full-time

Pros

You can bring your dog to work, and most of the employees are great people just trying to make a living. There were some company happy hours.

Cons

There is a severe lack of company structure, which is made possible by co-founders that have no real direction other than to grow the company by using inspirational words as if they have some sort of real power. There is no action that occurs to improve the poor state of the company, which only leads to even poorer employee morale. It's quite disheartening to be led to believe you are going to be working for a fun startup (10 year old startup, if that is possible) with a good culture, only to realize that it is nothing at all what it appeared to be.

Advice to Management

Stop talking and start doing. Realize that you are the only thing hindering your growth potential. Sometimes you need to take a step back and listen to real professionals who have experience succeeding in small business. Employees don't want to hear talking, they want to be led by example and be provided with sure fire solutions for company issues.

"Worst Job I Ever Had"

Pros

Downtown location.
    Some of the people actually care about pets, not just numbers.

Cons

* Expect a lot of stress.
    * Pushy sales of over priced product
    * Customer relations supervision plays favorites
    * Micromanagement of everything
    * Customer relations management is discriminatory, upper management does nothing
    * A lot of overtime.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people more.