Planet Aid Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Building Manager/Maintenance Manager in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Building Manager/Maintenance Manager in Milford, MA

I worked at Planet Aid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are Great !!! Everyone there comes to work with a good attitude and no drama. All employees from management down work together to better each other and help all other employees. Everyone gets to put their input in on how best to move forward. They really focus on Safety. They are very involved in their communities where they have warehouse locations/bins and beyond. Management really cares about its employees which you don't see in most for profit companies. I have personally seen them go out of their way to help an employee hurt outside of work. They understand the work/life balance. They give every employee the opportunity to grow within the company and contribute in one of their many programs.

Cons

They don't match in their 401k plan. They do pay a little below market pay.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with what you are doing.

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Cashier in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Cashier in Catonsville, MD

Pros

Getting paid every week on a Thursday

Cons

They are not organize and they can't keep a staff and the upper management sucks

Advice to Management

If you are a yes man for upper management and don't have a voice you will be great

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I worked at Planet Aid (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not terribly boring. Ok pay.

Cons

Upper management are socialists who hate America and believe all the generous donors are capitalist scum, but they like making money off them.

Advice to Management

Go back where you came from.

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Paint Shop Supervisor in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Paint Shop Supervisor in Milford, MA

I have been working at Planet Aid (More than 5 years)

Pros

i think i have the best job, im the paint working supervisor in milford mass....and the people i work with are great...even management! if you have any issue's they are there to work with you! and they listen!!!!!!

Cons

parking lot is always full but in PA defense there are a lot of employees, truck drivers, warehouse, transpotation and paint shop

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing!

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Driver in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Driver in Milford, MA

I worked at Planet Aid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None ,just a step up from not having a job

Cons

Too many, bad management bad coworkers bad way they treat the drivers.Management lies about everything.They put you on weekends holidays.Just stay away from this place it really stinks You bust your you know what everyday and they just don't care.

Advice to Management

Its a lost cause there are way to many things wrong.They dont care about the workers at all The turnover rate is unbelievable

"A non-biase review from an actual employee."

Current Employee - Driver in Elkridge, MD
    Current Employee - Driver in Elkridge, MD

I have been working at Planet Aid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a driver or warehouse worker, many people could easilly work for Planet Aid as they would any similar job and receive comparable compensation. There's a lot online and on this site about scandalous connections and decisions by the parent companies, but is that really any different than any other large employer? Everybody's got dirt. Rich people get crazy weird ideas sometimes. I ain't rich.
    As a driver I know that I am collecting clothes and items to fill thrift stores domestically and internationally. Any decisions made by the higher-ups that seem shady are really out of my hands and don't really affect my daily tasks. A lot of people criticize the fact that the clothes go to poorer nations and I'm like, uh, they kinda need them more. If Americans are willing to spend a hundred dollars on a pair of pants, or spend as much on their weddings as they could spend buying a house, I think we can spare some used clothing.
    I do know for a fact that the profits made from the sale of clothing go towards disease prevention charities in under developed countries. And again, some people have a problem knowing that anything goes to benefit another part of the world. To them I ask, what do you have against the rest of the world? It keeps us in orbit around the sun.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher, especially with the risks associated with being on a road all day, but that's mostly a problem with the corporate culture in America wanting mostly to pay as little as possible for as much as possible. My pay rate is fine for me, but it could always be better.
    Site hosts seem to have difficulty contacting us in a dependable manner. As far as I know most of their queries are filtered through our one receptionist.
    A lot of the times we'll leave a bin for collection at a site that has changed ownership and the new owners won't understand why it's there and can get quite mad.
    Health benefits are fine, but retirement options are not worth the time-ther is no employer matching or interest rates or whatever so you're better off setting something up independently.

As a driver there seems to be some imbalance in the routes, with some drivers being able to run all local routes and end their days well under the target 10 hours, while other drivers with more miles to cover get in as early as they can tolerate and still wind up coming back to the warehouse last. It sucks, but the routes are constantly evolving as new sites come and go.

"I was an employee."

Former Employee - Territory Manager Trainee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Territory Manager Trainee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Planet Aid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To have a job as long as you can stand it.

Cons

They are cheap. The management style is to make as much money as they can and pay out as little as possible. The managers don't know what they're doing. They will tell you anything to get you to do what they want. The managers can't be trusted. Most of the people who work for Planet Aid care about the mission. Soon enough they find out that the organization is not being run effectively. By then, if they last, they get ingrained into the pathetic mess Planet Aid has become and just become another cog.

Advice to Management

If you would treat your employees right, you wouldn't have such a high turn-over.

"What a nightmare!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The belief that your working for a respectable charity. Salary and commission opportunities are OK, but if you make too much they will change it.

Cons

The fact that alot of the negative press is correct and "charities" like this take away from honest legitimate charities. The company makes no effort to get further involved in local projects and is very secretive about all business dealings. Also the whole organization is run by members of the "Teachers Group" held by many to be a cult, the main buyer of textiles (Garson & Shaw) is also operated by TG members, as is various other "charities" and for profit companies like Gaia, USAgain, and IICD. Fact of the matter is, this is a horrible organization to work for and or be involved with. They treat staff like EVERYONE is easily replaceable, benefits are a joke, there is no appreciation for hard-work, and there is absolutely ZERO loyalty to anyone, staff and or local partners. They donate a penny per pound to local schools collecting clothing for them but make thousands and send the funds overseas. The final straw for me was finding out about all the extravagant property TG members own like a giant vacation house in Mexico shared by TG members, it really makes you wonder if your really supporting a cause or if the stories you can find online are true....so disappointing.

Advice to Management

Stop operating in the shadows, do more charity work in local communities, and take care of your employees. You treat the vast majority of staff like a worthless commodity.

10. "Great Company with a Great Mission"

I have been working at Planet Aid part-time

Pros

I love working for Planet Aid. The people are great, the pay is good, and management is open to suggestions. Work/life balance is pretty decent. Planet Aid does a lot of development work in poor countries, so I can feel good that the work I am doing makes a difference.

Cons

It's a nonprofit, so you aren't going to make the big bucks. That being said, they do compensate you very fairly.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees and you will do great!

11. "Not a Charity as they state"

Pros

Company car and gas card.

Cons

This so called non-profit is a scam. This company is part of a teacher's group "TVIND" out of Denmark that is involved in money laundering, extortion and there is an international warrant out for the arrest of Mogens Petersen, the founder of the group. They use an organization called Humana - people to people, which is also part of the TVIND group to launder the money that they get from the collection of donated clothes through companies such as Planet Aid, USagain, Gaia and several others.

This company and all the other sister companies should be investigated and they should lose their non-profit status, since they really are NOT a non profit. They claim to be helping people, but the money that they get from the collection of donated clothes goes straight into the pockets of senior management. According to Charity Watch, an organization that looks at how much money is actually donated by non-profits, Planet Aid gets an "F" rating and even though they are supposed to be transparent with their documents as a non profit, they have refused to provide financial statements to be examined.

You can google "TVIND", Charity Watch, or Planet Aid scam and you will see that everything that I have said above is true.

Advice to Management

You are NOT a charity. You are scam artists and you should be in jail.