Pobal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2019

3.1
Pobal CEO Denis Leamy
Denis Leamy
  1. "good flexi time, but"

Former Contractor - Child Support Officer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Pobal for more than a year

Pros

good flexi time and overtime given as extra day off, city center location in dublin

Cons

as they are a no porfit even if by governement who works there should be more proactive in this direction and work with effort and strong motivation, but this doesn't happen.. especially older employes just stay for the salary, benefit and good working timetable. rules should be stronger and more restrictive to give possibility to who is really lookign forward to work in a company for better sochal programs.... we need to remember pobal manages public money, coming from paid taxes from citizens to give more services and support to who needs that...

Pobal2019-08-20
  2. "Very disappointing"

Former Contractor - Office Administrator in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Pobal for more than a year

Pros

Flexi-time, competitive salaries, good location, some interesting work

Cons

Poor management and leadership, egotistical working culture, unclear what the company is about and lacks buy-in from staff at varying levels. With this kind of atmosphere, bullying is going on in certain sections and nobody wants to address it. At least 3 people I knew while working there had experienced bullying including myself, this is not normal and speaks to a widely unhealthy culture. Of course I was told by... HR that I must have misunderstood the situation. Yes there are good people working there and yes Pobal has some positive aspects, but there are some serious organisational issues at play here and it runs the risk of destroying vulnerable employees mental health and reputational damage for the company. This site was originally meant for employees to share experiences among themselves and I feel it's my duty and right to share my experience without fear. Real problem with culture in this organisation and a lack of knowledge/interest on social issues as well among a lot of middle managers as well.

Advice to Management

Please address the gaps in leadership and the mistreatment of employees. Deal with the problematic behaviour of employees, instead of silencing those who experience it. People's welfare and mental health is at risk and nothing will change if this culture is ignored. Everyone in Pobal should be accountable to more than one person to manage these issues effectively.

Pobal2019-08-19
  3. "Positive workplace"

Current Employee - Project Support in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Pobal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

positive environment team orientated supportive of personal and professional development

Cons

Communication sometimes lack within organisation between directorates

Pobal2019-06-28
  4. "Poor career progression and poor management"

I have been working at Pobal full-time

Pros

Great annual leave, family friendly policies, flexible work hours, nice staff with good comradery.

Cons

Progression depends a lot on your manager, lack of leadership, managers not skilled at managing teams, very reactive company. A lot of people at low grades with no progression in the company and no investment by the company to help them progress. The company culture and values have changed a lot over the years and not in a positive way.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback from your staff in the numerous surveys you've conducted and consultants you've hired. Both old and new staff have complained about the poor management and issues for years.

Pobal2019-07-13
  5. "Low morale, terrible management and total lack of concern for employees welfare"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Pobal full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are rubbish at your job, nobody will pull you up on it. Management will let you do nothing because your colleagues will pick up the slack. Perfect for lazy workers.

Cons

Middle management spend all day on YouTube. If you have any questions expect to get eye rolls and tuts. New staff would come in excited to start a new role but within a week would learn that they should have taken note of that previous Glassdoor review where the ex employee said that it was the place to go if you’ve given up on a career. Such a high staff turn over and yet nothing is done to improve staff morale.... Supervisor will tell new staff not to ask questions despite staff being told when they arrive that the floor supervisor is there for such questions. As time goes on you will begin to realise you are losing knowledge. Very frustrating and depressing place to work. Too many colleagues used to go home and cry to their partners because they took this job. You won’t stay here long so you are better off not taking the job and that way your cv won’t have evidence of a short stint. I stayed there too long and too many times thought about leaving before I had another job lined up. Your mental health will suffer working here. HR don’t care about employees even if they like to say they do in the responses they have to negative reviews on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to offer. I can’t see how you can turn things around as you are far too deep. You don’t care about your staff because if you did you would have listened to the feedback. You don’t.

Pobal2019-06-08
  6. "Test Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Pobal full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Good HR, Manager 2. Good company policies, flexible working hours 3. Relaxed work env, good work life balance

Cons

1. Long probation period 2. In probation - no sick off, no pension, no healthcare

Advice to Management

All good, keep up the good work !! Reduce the probation period.

Pobal2019-02-05

"Coordinator"

I worked at Pobal full-time

Pros

Real opportunity to address inequality on a national level.

Cons

Very negative egotistical working environment counter productive to supporting colleagues.

Advice to Management

A real opportunity to take a bite from the apple of inequality is lost with the greater concern of political asethics than delivering innovative frontline services to people who need them.

Pobal2019-02-23
  8. "Temp"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Pobal

Pros

Job Sat is fact ion

Cons

Not App lic a ble

Pobal2018-09-06

"Heavy workload but very fulfilling"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Pobal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pobal provides a very important service to the Irish not-for-profit and childcare sectors, which makes the work highly worthwhile and fulfilling. There is good options for career development and many of the staff are highly dedicated.

Cons

Workload can be very heavy at times.

Advice to Management

Senior Management team is quite small for the size of the organisation and middle managers seem stressed.

Pobal2017-12-09
  10. "Some great staff, some terrible management"

I worked at Pobal full-time

Pros

Good colleagues at the bottom of the organisation

Cons

Executive level unprofessional and disinterested.

Pobal2017-11-19