Proof Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2019

3.5
Bryan Christian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing and friendly company"

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising (Less than a year)

Pros

They have fun company wide meetings almost every week that allow you to get to know your co-workers and they have a great, productive, work space.

Cons

Could be a bit unorganized at times but that’s standard at any agency.

2. "Great company for a demanding industry"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management support I received during my almost five years at Proof Advertising is unrivalled! I was given the opportunity to have autonomy and responsibility and was rewarded for my hard work. Truly a great community of amazing people who work hard and have a lot of fun together.

Cons

The industry is demanding in general and requires long hours, this is not specific to this company, but something to be expected in this role

3. "Positive Experience"

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides autonomy for self-motivated people

Cons

Could benefit from more structure and process

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the employees

4. "Account Service"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite part of working at Proof is the people I get to see every day at work. Everyone is friendly & turns into a family. During the Monthly Celebration or Wine Down Wednesday you get to talk to people in different departments you might not work with typically. Proof puts a lot of effort into taking time host get-togethers or plan parties (#Prooftoberfest is a must).

Everyone is busy, it is an Agency of course, but if you have a question it's very easy to walk around and find someone who knows the answer, chances are someone else on your team or a different team has encountered the same if not a similar problem.

Work-life balance is possible. Sometimes you're swamped and other times you don't have a lot on your plate. This is the cycle of any Agency. Personally, I have never been shamed for leaving at 5:30 on the dot and I've also stayed until 8 pm on a Friday. Get your work done, do you.

Great PTO. It rolls over year to year. You can't beat that.

Cons

Sick days count as PTO.
    Turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep it up with transparency; It's refreshing to be at an Agency who talks numbers with its employees.

If there's a pattern on a team of constant turnover, take a serious look at it vs. continuing to rehire.

"Pros and cons"

I have been working at Proof Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the people, the office, the perks. We are a family. So this is what makes the cons easier to deal with.

Cons

Poor management, low salary, hard to speak to seniority level, looks down on younger people, no room for growth, constant turn around

Advice to Management

Listen to those around you. We want to stay. We love it here but it’s hard to stay when there is no reward or aknowledgemwnt. No one is looking for hand holding but a little “good job” goes a long way.

"Average agency"

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Downtown location, free parking (except most park across the street in a parking garage)
    - They close the agency from Christmas - New Years Day, you don't have to take your own PTO.
    - Everyone works on Apple (Mac) laptops.
    - Free La Croix.
    - If you enjoy social events focused around alcohol, you will love it. (Mostly fresh out of college employees fit in well here)

Cons

- No work from home flexibility
    - They do give Christmas bonuses
    - Only 9 days of PTO your first year
    - United Healthcare for insurance (your out of pocket cost will essentially be the same as no insurance at all)
    - Subway is their largest account. The work is not inventive or exciting.
    - Everything is focused on alcohol - maybe pay less on monthly wine down Wednesdays and give Christmas bonuses to your employees?
    - The CEO could care less to get to know you, let alone even know your name.
    - There is no work-life-balance.
    - Office hours are 9:00 - 5:30 p.m., you're punished for having a life outside of work and needing to leave at 5:30.

Advice to Management

- Spend less on monthly events half the agency doesn't attend. Give people raises and bonuses instead.
    - Develop a work from home policy, like all modern, competitive agencies.
    - Give more PTO for first year employees. (take a look at competitive agencies in town)
    - Figure out family friendly modifications. Working at Proof is feasible if you want to not see your children/spouses.

7. "Cool Place"

Pros

Met some really cool people there. Most are willing to help out and are friendly. Has a few cool accounts to work on.

Cons

Some of the higher ups have egos and attitudes.

"If you value your happiness, don't work here."

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free snacks and La Croix
    -The people (a select few)

Cons

-The worst management I've ever experienced (this is the only place where I've ever cried at work).
    -Being treated like a warm body rather than a valued employee.
    -Absolutely no work/life balance.
    -Low wages (barely able to live on them if you're junior and the overtime rate is basically illegal).
    -The ability to work on only 1 client - since they have no others that make any real money for the company.
    -Won't promote you in a timely manner even when you're being told you'll be promoted in "X" amount of time.
    -Catty HR personnel that make you feel really uncomfortable when you go to them with any issues. They also don't make an effort to resolve them.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like absolute trash and pay them nothing and you won't be firing/losing people every week and constantly having to interview.

"Typical Over-Rated Ad Agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time

Pros

Really nice co-workers - particularly creative folks
    Office location
    Tacodeli brought in weekly...but this is Austin, who doesn't bring in Tacodeli weekly these days?

Cons

Very little to no constructive guidance or direction for lower ranks - the managers are neither leaders nor mentors whatsoever
    Account people simply pump out the same, redundant work to a mind-numbing extent
    Subway being one of if not the main account stifles imagination and creativity
    They pay very little attention to the underlying details of employee individualism and how that affects performance, loyalty, accountability, and respect
    Mostly made up of people who went into advertising because they thought it sounded cool
    Pay is not very competitive...most agencies with this level of revenue around Austin have much better compensation
    No real mission statement or clearly defined collective goal

This is not a forward thinking advertising agency, this is a regurgitation hub of sub-par, half-baked ideas for already established brands. They are not defining industries nor building brands; they are simply maintaining the status quo.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders and mentors
    Encourage management to really learn how to manage people by getting to know them, identifying their strengths...not just going through the motions of maintaining accounts, sending newsletters and reports, and shooting down creative ideas that aren't on brand
    Push the envelope with your clients. Guide them out of their comfort zones. You're the experts...act like it.

"Great Place, Great People"

Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was with Proof for around 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Would have stayed for much longer but life is funny and decided to take me down another path. What are the Pro’s? Well, let’s start with the people, Proof knows how to hire talent, that’s for sure. The people are amazing, top to bottom, with everyone ready to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. And while work is taken seriously (Proof does great work), they also know how to inject a ton of fun into it. Oh, and there are some REALLY smart people too, pick their brains, it’s awesome. Bryan (President & CEO) can be demanding, but if you have the chance to work directly with him, it is great, his brain never stops working. Love the collaboration between departments, everyone works so well together. Creative comes up with an idea and Media finds a way to make it work, Media comes up with an idea and Creative makes it work. And the Suits (Account Service), they just get in the way. Just kidding, Proof has got the best Account Service Dept. I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I worked in Media, and if you are lucky enough to work in Media at Proof, you will get the chance to work with Ly, who heads up the dept. Cherish that time, not only is she brilliant, but I have never worked for someone who cared about her people more than Ly. Not only will you learn something about advertising from her every single day, but shadow her and she’ll inadvertently teach you about life too. The Media Dept. is a great place to learn, you are constantly challenged and given the opportunity work beyond your roll (with guidance from your mentors), and if you meet the challenges head on, you are rewarded. Proof has got awesome offices and free parking, tasty snacks, celebrations with good drinks and fun food. OHHH and free La Croix in the vending machine, can’t beat that.

Cons

People may say long hours and not much of a work life balance. Well, I say don’t get into advertising if you aren’t ready to work your tail off. Of course there are unrealistic deadlines, that is the nature of the business, but those long hours are recognized and rewarded at Proof. In this business you just can’t expect to never have to put in long hours, no matter where you work, and if you do find that, then you’re probably at a weak Agency. Also, it is not an always thing with the long hours, it is a sometimes thing, when your accounts require it. It would be nice to see a wider array of accounts at Proof, little too focused on QSR and the like. Just think there needs to be more account diversity and more fun brands to work on. Account Service gets to handle to much of the direct client contact on certain accounts. Sometimes your managers don’t realize how much you have on your plate, can get a little overwhelming at times, would be nice if there was less of a “raise your hand” if you are overwhelmed mentality and more of a what do you have going on, how can I help mentality.

Advice to Management

Go get some bigger and better accounts that want to spend real dollars.