Proof Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Bryan Christian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cool Place"

Pros

Met some really cool people there. Most are willing to help out and are friendly. Has a few cool accounts to work on.

Cons

Some of the higher ups have egos and attitudes.

"If you value your happiness, don't work here."

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free snacks and La Croix
    -The people (a select few)

Cons

-The worst management I've ever experienced (this is the only place where I've ever cried at work).
    -Being treated like a warm body rather than a valued employee.
    -Absolutely no work/life balance.
    -Low wages (barely able to live on them if you're junior and the overtime rate is basically illegal).
    -The ability to work on only 1 client - since they have no others that make any real money for the company.
    -Won't promote you in a timely manner even when you're being told you'll be promoted in "X" amount of time.
    -Catty HR personnel that make you feel really uncomfortable when you go to them with any issues. They also don't make an effort to resolve them.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like absolute trash and pay them nothing and you won't be firing/losing people every week and constantly having to interview.

"Typical Over-Rated Ad Agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time

Pros

Really nice co-workers - particularly creative folks
    Office location
    Tacodeli brought in weekly...but this is Austin, who doesn't bring in Tacodeli weekly these days?

Cons

Very little to no constructive guidance or direction for lower ranks - the managers are neither leaders nor mentors whatsoever
    Account people simply pump out the same, redundant work to a mind-numbing extent
    Subway being one of if not the main account stifles imagination and creativity
    They pay very little attention to the underlying details of employee individualism and how that affects performance, loyalty, accountability, and respect
    Mostly made up of people who went into advertising because they thought it sounded cool
    Pay is not very competitive...most agencies with this level of revenue around Austin have much better compensation
    No real mission statement or clearly defined collective goal

This is not a forward thinking advertising agency, this is a regurgitation hub of sub-par, half-baked ideas for already established brands. They are not defining industries nor building brands; they are simply maintaining the status quo.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders and mentors
    Encourage management to really learn how to manage people by getting to know them, identifying their strengths...not just going through the motions of maintaining accounts, sending newsletters and reports, and shooting down creative ideas that aren't on brand
    Push the envelope with your clients. Guide them out of their comfort zones. You're the experts...act like it.

"Great Place, Great People"

Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was with Proof for around 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Would have stayed for much longer but life is funny and decided to take me down another path. What are the Pro’s? Well, let’s start with the people, Proof knows how to hire talent, that’s for sure. The people are amazing, top to bottom, with everyone ready to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. And while work is taken seriously (Proof does great work), they also know how to inject a ton of fun into it. Oh, and there are some REALLY smart people too, pick their brains, it’s awesome. Bryan (President & CEO) can be demanding, but if you have the chance to work directly with him, it is great, his brain never stops working. Love the collaboration between departments, everyone works so well together. Creative comes up with an idea and Media finds a way to make it work, Media comes up with an idea and Creative makes it work. And the Suits (Account Service), they just get in the way. Just kidding, Proof has got the best Account Service Dept. I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I worked in Media, and if you are lucky enough to work in Media at Proof, you will get the chance to work with Ly, who heads up the dept. Cherish that time, not only is she brilliant, but I have never worked for someone who cared about her people more than Ly. Not only will you learn something about advertising from her every single day, but shadow her and she’ll inadvertently teach you about life too. The Media Dept. is a great place to learn, you are constantly challenged and given the opportunity work beyond your roll (with guidance from your mentors), and if you meet the challenges head on, you are rewarded. Proof has got awesome offices and free parking, tasty snacks, celebrations with good drinks and fun food. OHHH and free La Croix in the vending machine, can’t beat that.

Cons

People may say long hours and not much of a work life balance. Well, I say don’t get into advertising if you aren’t ready to work your tail off. Of course there are unrealistic deadlines, that is the nature of the business, but those long hours are recognized and rewarded at Proof. In this business you just can’t expect to never have to put in long hours, no matter where you work, and if you do find that, then you’re probably at a weak Agency. Also, it is not an always thing with the long hours, it is a sometimes thing, when your accounts require it. It would be nice to see a wider array of accounts at Proof, little too focused on QSR and the like. Just think there needs to be more account diversity and more fun brands to work on. Account Service gets to handle to much of the direct client contact on certain accounts. Sometimes your managers don’t realize how much you have on your plate, can get a little overwhelming at times, would be nice if there was less of a “raise your hand” if you are overwhelmed mentality and more of a what do you have going on, how can I help mentality.

Advice to Management

Go get some bigger and better accounts that want to spend real dollars.

"A Great Place to Start"

Current Employee - Creative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Creative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I've been able to work on almost every account in this place, so my book is pretty diverse for someone in their first few years in the biz.
    -There are ups and downs at any job, but I would say I have way more great days than bad ones here.
    -They do an awesome job of making it a fun, happy place to work and of breaking up the monotony of office life with gatherings and parties.
    - Management is really transparent and keep you up to date on company-wide goals and goings-on.
    -There are plenty of opportunities to go 'round, and I feel pretty blessed to be at a place where I can continually grow alongside people that I consider true friends.
    -Benefits are fantastic.
    -People really care about each other.
    -Bullpen-style office, but with lots of well-designed breakout rooms where you can sneak away to concentrate.
    -Tons of snacks, including healthy stuff.
    -Taco Monday, because Austin.
    -The type of place where you can speak your mind without worrying about your job. We are openly encouraged to speak up if we have questions / problems / etc.
    -Pretty fantastic work/life situation - there are late nights and early mornings once in a while, but overall it's a family-friendly place where you are encouraged to have a life outside of the office.
    -Inspiration days!!!!!
    -21 PTO days after the first year + a few paid holidays, including a week or so off around Christmas/NY

Cons

-Ad industry can be gruff in general at times. Gotta have a thick skin around here, but what else is new?
    -One of the few agencies in town that isn't expressly *dog friendly*, although I'm sure lots of people actually appreciate not having dogs in the office.
    -People bring sick kids into work, which I understand because what else are you gonna do with them? But as a kidless germaphobe, it wigs me out.
    -No official WFH policy; some people do it anyway and get away with it, while others get reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Better training for account people. Everything trickles down, so when accounts sit on a task for a week or don't gather enough info from client, that puts creative in a crunch.

"Account Service Intern"

I worked at Proof Advertising part-time

Pros

Working at Proof was a great experience! As an intern, I learned a lot about what an Account Coordinator does in their daily position. I took on many projects that helped me grow in this position
    - Nice people/ feel like friends rather than work acquaintances
    - Great learning experience
    - Good Snacks
    - Paid internship
    - Fun culture always having fun events that bring everyone together

Cons

Didn't necessarily get to work on one large project, but worked on small little projects throughout the semester.
    - Nothing bad to report !

"Top notch digital media department"

I have been working at Proof Advertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great agency - not just my opinion as it's been named an Ad Age agency of the year on multiple occasions. After years of working here, the diversity of clients from travel to QSR to B2B mean every day is different with a new challenge to tackle, so it's never boring. The spirit of the agency is very entrepreneurial and the execs are typically very open with agency news shared at monthly meetings. The people I work with are probably what has kept me here the longest. I know my team can be counted on to hit deadlines, and we often have lots of fun working, brainstorming together.

Cons

Long hours, but this is just agency life and being in the service industry. Usually it ebbs and flows so it isn't consistent

"Don't work here"

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Nice downtown location
    -Free parking (but who doesn't have this?)

Cons

-entry level pay is ridiculously low, expect to barely get by with the salary
    -people who work here are generally not nice, very clique-y
    -there is no training whatsoever when you start
    -There is a 'boys will be boys' mentality in the creative department that is seriously backwards and hinders creativity.
    -the open floor plan is pretty but expect to hear EVERYTHING everyone is saying, a lot of people are disruptive
    -expect to get in a lot of trouble (sometimes even yelled at) for doing things that 'seniors' do regularly - rolling in late, taking an afternoon off do deal with personal matters, taking a long lunch from time to time, etc.
    -this place sometimes seems like a playground of men who act like children. I'm talking about adult men (40+) doing things that most kids wouldn't
    -for some reason there is a serious disdain for millennial and senior management will be sure to let you know this
    -supervisors always take credit for the work of those who are actually doing everything but you'll never get a 'thank you'
    -the client list is really not impressive at all.
    -this is more of an "accounts forward service agency" since it's not creative at all
    -the work quality seems to be on a steep decline
    -there isn't any real "company culture" - they put a lot of emphasis on drinking and being drunk but that's about it.
    -CEO is a functioning alcoholic who rolls in late and is keen on yelling at people
    -if you're not part of his clique rest assured you will have a miserable time here.
    -HR department (literally one person) is a serious joke. Nothing ever gets done. They don't care about you, they care about their image and their money.

Advice to Management

-Being harassed is serious and should be handled correctly - don't let it slip by to protect others because one day it may end up in a lawsuit. I could list about 20+ things I saw and experienced here that could get you in trouble. Actively work to correct this.
    -Saying that you have to have a thick skin because this is just how the advertising world works is outdated and antiquated. This is 2017 and people of all ranks deserve the same amount of respect.
    -Invest some time and money on training your entry level employees
    -Be nicer to them, there is no need to prove how though you are. People spend 60% (sometimes more) of their day there, make it a pleasant experience.
    -Make sure they know what the steps are that they need to take so they can move up the ladder.
    -When an employee has a concern, listen to them - don't dismiss them saying they are whiny millennials.
    -Hold people accountable for their actions. Don't let things like harassment, bad mouthing, gossip, and putting others down slip just because the perpetrator is part of 'the clique'.

"The People Make the Place"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture - loved the people I worked with.

Cons

Long work hours, but they made up for it by creating such a fun culture.

Advice to Management

Work on creating more of a work-life balance

"Most Fun Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Proof Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

monday breakfast tacos, fun company events, amazing people who are dedicated to their work and care about others

Cons

often has long work hours