RIESTER Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TIM RIESTER

1. "Great work is hard work"

Former Employee - Art Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Art Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at RIESTER full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RIESTER has a solid roster of clients and integration team to service them, a stellar and friendly digital team that can develop any campaign that creative dreams up and a strategy team to get the campaign seen. The creative work is iterative and everyone works together without ego, to continually improve each idea, asking tough questions to make the absolute best results.

Cons

Sometimes the workload gets a little heavy. If you are expecting to just collect a paycheck and goof off, this may not be your dream job.

"Favorites Advance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good mix of clients, creative team is solid, permit dogs at workplace
    Owner, Tim is always pitching new business - does not rest on agency laurels

Cons

Favoritism runs rampant at RIESTER. If you are not on that list, you fade into the woodwork
    Open floorplan makes it darned near impossible to concentrate and get work done

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they need more work / life balance. Digital team is fragmented - no cohesion and far too many ulterior motives and personal agendas. Turnover in certain departments runs rampant - please take note.

3. "A Powerhouse Digital Advertising & PR Firm."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at RIESTER full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very inspirational, creative and collaborative work environment. Best clients in the region. Extremely talented staff. High level of professionalism without losing its roots as a family business. The leaders and staff all really care about each other.

Cons

You will constantly be challenged to improve due to the high level of talent among the leaders and staff around you. There is so much action, activity and opportunity at RIESTER, you better love advertising if you choose to come here!

Advice to Management

Continue your quest to create the best campaigns and attract more clients. The staff appreciates all of the amazing opportunities you provide.

"Good Company and Good People"

Former Employee - Media Buyer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Media Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at RIESTER (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very creative, collaborative shop. Bright and capable employees. Good clients. CEO cares about employees.

Cons

fast paced way of doing business can sometimes result in burn out.

Aug 30, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very fortunate to have some of the most creative and intelligent people working with us! The talent of our employees continues to show ... More

5. "Good company that could be great"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at RIESTER full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dog friendly, good downtown location, flexible schedule, travel opportunities. RIESTER gives you the opportunity to be a part of great campaigns and a member of sharp teams that do awesome work. Tim is a great guy who really cares about his staff, but unfortunately doesn't have time to dedicate to them as I know he would like to. Mirja is a whip-cracker- but she'll make you a better advertiser!

Cons

Can be very stressful as the revolving door of employees often times leads people overwhelmed and overworked. Fast-pace means opportunities are missed and people are left out. Some people/teams are not very good at working together and you can get pulled into a project too late to be effective. Some of the managers have clear favorites that make it difficult for others to advance- especially in digital. Agency is slow to adopt new opportunities. Benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, advance based on talent not favorites.

6. "Great working environment. Awesome people."

Former Employee - Creative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Creative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Riester is like loving functional family, at least in the creative department. Great life-work balance. Good production quality. You'll make good friends here.

Cons

Not a lot of national work. The ideas tend to be a little bit conservative but if you push it, you'll be able to produce a very decent portfolio.

Advice to Management

Take more risks. Try to innovate more.

"Would not recommend this company"

I worked at RIESTER full-time

Pros

Great downtown Phoenix location, bring your dog to work

Cons

Small and cramped office, limited parking, constantly moving desks, no clear structure, poor upper management, backstabbing and bully coworkers, no opportunity for advancement, very little appreciation for employees, no training or on-boarding, hostile work environment, no opportunities for advancement, employees complaints are not taken seriously, lack of vision, skewed work-life balance.
    I hated working at RIESTER so much that I thought it was me and the profession I had chosen. I was considering going back to school for a new career when I switched jobs and realized it was the company. Co-workers speak poorly about each other and about management and clients, clients are rude and allowed to be mean to employees by management, and management seems to lack clear goals, vision, or daily duties. There are certain partners at this company that I have no idea what they did as their job. Management does nothing about the complaints that go through HR so don't even bother making your voice heard. There are favorites in this company and they can get away with anything. If you are not a favorite of the partners or upper management you will know it and that only contributes to the hostile work environment. Compared to other agencies, they do very little to show appreciation to their employees- no birthday lunches, no fun happy hours, no events, and no parties. Employees started hosting their own potlucks just to have some fun at the office.
    For the holidays, instead of giving everyone a bonus, RIESTER puts money into a 401k for employees. Unfortunately, you have to stay 3 years to be partially vested in the money they put in there for you, and 6 years to be completely vested. There's so much turnover that rarely does anyone see that money. While that is becoming more common among companies these days, it's the way RIESTER approaches it: that the money is to thank you for all the hard work you did that year. But if you don't stay there, you get nothing, so it's like taking back a bonus after all the work you did and weekends/evenings you gave up. I worked very hard for this company but left under the 3 year mark, so they took back more than $2,000 of my hard work 401k bonus.
    I would not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Change the culture of your company and start offering some perks and appreciation to employees. Listen to their complaints and make a change. If enough people have complained, then there's a problem and it should be dealt with. If you can't keep employees happy, then will not be able to retain great creative and hard-working people. That will show in your business; from current clients to new business pitches.

8. "Boundless opportunities"

Former Employee - PR Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - PR Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at RIESTER full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

RIESTER offers the experience of a lifetime for those who are willing to work hard and remain flexible and open to opportunities. The CEO is committed and respectful, and his values permeate the agency. You'll have the chance to create work with real meaning and will feel a part of something larger when you do. Colleagues and clients will become friends. Salary and benefits were comparable or slightly greater to other firms and in line with the market. But the overall satisfaction was multiplied exponentially. Quite simply, it's the best working environment I've ever experienced.

Cons

Like any organization with smart, creative people, disagreements and clashes sometimes arise--but it's part of the process. The pace of work sometimes exceeded the ability to maintain the level of organization you might desire.

Advice to Management

Find more opportunities to slow down and connect, tough as it may seem. Little acknowledgements go a long way.

Aug 27, 2014 – HR Manager

It means a lot to us that you consider RIESTER to be the ‘best work environment’ you’ve ever experienced. Thank you for taking time to tell us! You’ve described Tim Riester to a T: his ... More

9. "The owner, Tim, is an outstanding marketer and great leader. Middle management lacks vision. Lack of upward mobility."

I worked at RIESTER full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leader. Nice clients. Fair compensation - not awesome though.

Cons

Mediocre middle management. Lack of company culture. Poor raises/promotions, so the good people leave for better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Foster the people that work hard and are passionate about doing innovative work. Actually pay people enough to keep them there.

Aug 27, 2014 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with RIESTER – we appreciate all feedback. Please know that we strive to be competitive with compensation and benefits in the markets where we ... More

"Poor"

I worked at RIESTER full-time (More than a year)

Pros

bring your dog to work, the employees, the location

Cons

upper management, parking, benefits, no employee appreciation, management promises things to clients without actually telling employees what they need to do, making the employee look bad. They fire people for the dumbest reasons, you never feel like your job is safe. Dont be surprised to hear your supervisor speaking about you to your co-workers behind your back.

Advice to Management

start caring about your employees in order to improve your turnover ratio.