RMD Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Sue Reninger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Authentic, Passionate, Hard Working,"

I have been working at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Six words that we use represent our intentions: creative, passionate, smart, sharp, problem-solving, and gratitude. We try to talk the talk and walk the walk.

#attitudeofgratitudes every day... with each other and for each other.

Accountability - we are all encouraged to be a thought leader, to fail forward, to be honest.

Cons

Honestly hard to give any "downsides of working at RMD" because I feel that its a great fit for me. Some might say a "con" is that we're not a fancy agency located downtown with funky furniture and chalkboard walls... but then we invest our profit into the people; some may say it's hard to work for a demanding business or a demanding client - but I think it makes you smarter and better and brings out the best in you.

"Run Don't Walk away from these people"

I worked at RMD Advertising (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not any that I can see

Cons

Completely unprofessional. Company has so much turnover there is no consistency . They all seem to be afraid of the owners who try to put on an outward appearance of a The Best People on Earth when it really appears to be Leona Helmsley & Atilla the Hun . Insults, almost emotional battery, low pay . Far more of an example of HOW NOT TO RUN AN AGENCY. There no Donny Deutsch

Advice to Management

Manage like humans don't pit people against each other, don't teach interns that they are less than people . Start treating your on airs better,anyone that knows RMD said NO

"Long hours, no lunch"

I have been working at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Hard to think of any-

Cons

No lunch breaks, no positive reinforcement even if it is positive criticism-

Advice to Management

Give employees an hour lunch break, like all the other agencies do.

"N/A"

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Free coffee, dogs welcome to the office, random food Fridays

Cons

Everything else and HUGE turnover

Advice to Management

Get out of your bubble

"Terrible Work Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

The kindness and support of co-workers got me through working for RMD Advertising, and I honestly have nothing else positive to say.

Cons

I hardly know where to start. The turnover rate alone speaks for itself. The main goal of the managing partners is to squeeze every tiny little bit of time and energy they can from you, and they have little regard for your happiness while doing so.

The company culture may seem fun at first, in a quirky way, but you quickly realize it is extremely forced. They often talk about the lengths they will go to in order to protect the culture in the office and, it is true, they are watching. If you make one move like you are not enjoying yourself by reading a self-help book in your very limited spare time or coming in early on Fridays to watch often offensive videos on YouTube as a group, you will be cornered and questioned. Even worse, the managing partners may talk to other employees about you while you are out of the room and instruct them to stay away from you because of your "negative state."

Also, the professionalism in the office is extremely lacking. As a dog lover, I was excited to have dogs in the office daily; however, the dogs who are there most frequently are untrained to the point where they often hinder work by causing a scene or making a bad impression of visitors. Additionally, the managing partners often get into fights with each other that often end in yelling profanities and slamming doors. Profane and offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, weight and so on are heard on a daily basis. This is a family business and nepotism runs rampant. There is also no HR department, so there is absolutely no one with which to address these issues. You will end up talking to a managing partner who will quickly dismiss your complaints and also take them extremely personally and hold a grudge.

Lastly, this company does not operate as a modern integrated advertising agency should. The public relations efforts are pure solicitation. Quantity over quality is the name of the game. The writing is corny, uninformed and borderline offensive. The creative work is rushed and looks very dated. Everything is printed on paper, which is very wasteful and also means edits are delayed or lost daily. The social media is handed off to employees who should not have social media in their job description and who are uneducated in social media and the nuances of each platform. It often goes unmonitored due to the fact that this agency is always understaffed because of its very high turnover rate.

I could go into so much more, but I hope this would be enough to make a person pause before accepting a job at RMD Advertising.

Advice to Management

Just stop. Stop taking advantage of young professionals. Stop tearing down good people. Stop positioning yourselves as the victims of rogue employees. Stop serving your clients half-baked efforts. Anyone who has ever interacted with this agency deserves better.

"Unfotunate Agency"

Former Employee - Art Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Art Director in Columbus, OH

Pros

I am really trying to think of one but unfortunately I one does not come to mind.

Cons

Works off an antiquated system from the system which even confuses the creative director at times at the status of jobs. No ideation is present, creative is substandard and there is no process or thought behind the design other than 'to make it look pretty'. Also, upon immediately being brought on I was told I would not work with the Media, PR or the Social departments which were the only other departments in the building not counting the college interns.

Advice to Management

There is a growing negative reputation about your practices which I ignored but unfortunately confirmed after only one week there.

"Passionate Environment"

Pros

Speaking to my credibility and this review as an honest one, I'd first like to mention that, yes, I am a current employee. No, this review was not prompted by management. Yes, it is honest and aims to be an insightful look into RMD Advertising. I'm concerned about the previous reviewers before me who seem to have left our workplace recently when, in fact, we haven't had an employee leave for quite a while. With that said, I wish them only the best and hope that they can let go of whatever misplaced anger they have towards ... who? I'm not sure.

Pros: RMD blends the best of two dynamic industries. Both the food industry and the advertising world require you to be sharp, diligent, persistent and quick. Personally, I thrive on that. If an energetic and challenging environment doesn't align with who you are, frankly, I wouldn't recommend the advertising industry at all.

Our clients are some of the most intelligent industry professionals I have ever had the privilege of working with. All of the above-and-beyond work we do for them is just as rewarding as it is challenging, and it fosters a company culture that is extremely driven and passionate. I'm certain that it isn't for everyone, which is at no fault to them. It is, however, for those who are fiercely passionate about what they do.

I won't tell you to disregard all of the negative reviews. It would be much too simple to call them petty and be done with it. I will, however, tell you to take them with a grain of salt with the hope that a future RMD team member reads through them for what they are worth.

Cons

Cons: The quick-paced, high stress, energetic work environment isn't for everyone, which is fine. As I mentioned above, that comes with the territory - that's what the advertising world is. For me, it's the perfect workplace environment. It's where I'm most successful. Make of it what you will.

Advice to Management

Continue to be persistent and patient with your employees. All other advice is better said in a voice to voice conversation between myself and my employers - not dragged out for all to see.

"Finally happy. Finally free."

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a single one comes to mind. The time I've spent here was the most miserable of my life. Don't work here under any circumstance.

Cons

Don't work here if you know what's good for you. Trust the bad reviews because the good ones are internal. You get burnt out so quickly because they over work you. The owners are so rude and manipulative. Everyone I know who was smart has left as soon as possible. Now that I'm done with them, i'm finally happier and finally have a social life again.

Advice to Management

Just close your doors. Stop mistreating your employees.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Not even the things they tout as 'perks' like ill-fitting t-shirts and "hot dog Fridays" would be considered a Pro.

Cons

Every moment of the day was a Con. If you like being treated as a teenage daughter of the married owners, this place place is the place for you. It is almost as if they are trying to run the agency like a cult with their own vernacular and by constantly trying to find ways for the employees to more completely intertwined into the business under the guise of "self-help" or "personal advancement".

Beyond the work environment being caustic, they work they produce is flat, lacks creativity and is riddled with typos due to the amount of work everyone has to complete in a day. Being required to work on 8-10 individual clients on a daily basis means that any one of these can realistically only receive an hour of your times each day.

Stay away.

Advice to Management

Quit the charade and respond to the fact your employee turn-over is at 90% EVERY YEAR!

"Like going back to the dark ages of advertising"

Pros

Ummmmm ... Uhhhhhhhh ... they have AC in the summer and heat in the winter

Cons

I had a feeling of dread everyday I had to go in there. Very long work hours, you have a long list of jobs everyday that you HAD to get done before leaving and almost always end up working 12 hour days but get paid for 8, dog poops everywhere, married owners scream at each other, owners scream at employees, lunch is a luxury if you wanted to leave before 12 hours. All the positive reviews on here can't possibly be true. Much, much more but not enough time.

I am now working somewhere that actually treat you like a human and not a machine.

Advice to Management

This field is very small niche in this town and sooner or later they are going to get such a bad rep that no one will work there. Start treating people like they aren't machines.