RMD Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 12, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sue Reninger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Learn New Skills and Grow"

I have been working at RMD Advertising part-time

Pros

Great energy working with the team, positive work environment, team building events, Mojo lunch Fridays (every other Friday where RMD provides a team lunch), motivational, dogs in the office (Yay!), and there are days where the clients' products are made in a recipe for a photoshoots- and at the end of the day, we get to taste-test them

Cons

The location isn't in the ideal spot for me

Advice to Management

RMD Advertising is a great, lively place to work. I enjoy coming in every day to the high energy music, the adorable office dogs, the valuable leadership and one-on-one mentoring Sue Reninger gives frequently, fun co-workers, and the creativity that occurs throughout the agency every single day. I also love any topic surrounding the food category, so when there are days I get to make and shoot a recipe using our clients' products, it's always an exciting, creative, and fun day. Sue really pays attention to your individual skills, and molds your job/tasks around what you're best at so you succeed. You're pushed to execute your best work for the clients every day on a deadline, which makes every day slightly different, and promotes growth. There's variety and camaraderie. Would highly recommend to a friend.

2. "Fast paced, hard working team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at RMD Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RMD has the fast pace I truly love -- I've worked at some very boring and slow-moving companies (agency side and corporate) that killed my creative soul. Not here, you are allowed to do what's right for the client. The client comes first. Positive encouragement by the managing partners and leaders is the rule. Not every day can be perfect, but knowing someone has your back is very comforting. I laughed at some of the past reviews (remember, these were my coworkers) because they loved RMD until they were held accountable and sadly failed at their jobs. I think it's funny that some of these people were in diapers when this agency was founded yet they think they have the wherewithal to tell them how to run it. As one of my professors told me in college, "the weak will lash out at the strong". Working on big time food accounts, pretty good benefits, team members you can count on, freebie lunches ... it's very nice place to be.

Cons

No real cons. Probably should buy Starbucks coffee instead of Maxwell House for the office(?)

Advice to Management

25 years in business says a lot ... keep up the good work!

"Still get nightmares 2 years later"

Former Employee - Media Relations Specialist
    Former Employee - Media Relations Specialist

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made friends with my coworkers because we were all dealing with a crazy, hostile work environment.

Cons

-Strong nepotism
    -Long work hours (8:30-5), that includes no lunch break other than to go to Turkey Hill for 5 minutes and run back
    -Manipulation
    -Unrealistic expectations
    -Pitting team mates against each other
    -Inappropriate workplace behavior (yelling, swearing, inappropriate comments about how people look)
    -Disgusting dogs that drool over everything and take your food

Advice to Management

Close your doors and leave young professionals alone!

"As someone else said: RUN!"

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Dogs can come to the office sometimes.

Cons

Everything - seriously. I should have taken the clue from my interview when the owner - the wife - told me the other owner - her husband - often had angry outbursts at employees and would I be comfortable with that? Um, no??? So it happened once and I left. People, there are a lot of good agencies in town - run, run, run from this one and this very dysfunctional and strange husband-wife team.

"Run Don't Walk away from these people"

I worked at RMD Advertising (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not any that I can see

Cons

Completely unprofessional. Company has so much turnover there is no consistency . They all seem to be afraid of the owners who try to put on an outward appearance of a The Best People on Earth when it really appears to be Leona Helmsley & Atilla the Hun . Insults, almost emotional battery, low pay . Far more of an example of HOW NOT TO RUN AN AGENCY. There no Donny Deutsch

Advice to Management

Manage like humans don't pit people against each other, don't teach interns that they are less than people . Start treating your on airs better,anyone that knows RMD said NO

"Long hours, no lunch"

I have been working at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Hard to think of any-

Cons

No lunch breaks, no positive reinforcement even if it is positive criticism-

Advice to Management

Give employees an hour lunch break, like all the other agencies do.

"Authentic, Passionate, Hard Working,"

I have been working at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Six words that we use represent our intentions: creative, passionate, smart, sharp, problem-solving, and gratitude. We try to talk the talk and walk the walk.

#attitudeofgratitudes every day... with each other and for each other.

Accountability - we are all encouraged to be a thought leader, to fail forward, to be honest.

Cons

Honestly hard to give any "downsides of working at RMD" because I feel that its a great fit for me. Some might say a "con" is that we're not a fancy agency located downtown with funky furniture and chalkboard walls... but then we invest our profit into the people; some may say it's hard to work for a demanding business or a demanding client - but I think it makes you smarter and better and brings out the best in you.

"N/A"

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

Free coffee, dogs welcome to the office, random food Fridays

Cons

Everything else and HUGE turnover

Advice to Management

Get out of your bubble

"Terrible Work Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at RMD Advertising full-time

Pros

The kindness and support of co-workers got me through working for RMD Advertising, and I honestly have nothing else positive to say.

Cons

I hardly know where to start. The turnover rate alone speaks for itself. The main goal of the managing partners is to squeeze every tiny little bit of time and energy they can from you, and they have little regard for your happiness while doing so.

The company culture may seem fun at first, in a quirky way, but you quickly realize it is extremely forced. They often talk about the lengths they will go to in order to protect the culture in the office and, it is true, they are watching. If you make one move like you are not enjoying yourself by reading a self-help book in your very limited spare time or coming in early on Fridays to watch often offensive videos on YouTube as a group, you will be cornered and questioned. Even worse, the managing partners may talk to other employees about you while you are out of the room and instruct them to stay away from you because of your "negative state."

Also, the professionalism in the office is extremely lacking. As a dog lover, I was excited to have dogs in the office daily; however, the dogs who are there most frequently are untrained to the point where they often hinder work by causing a scene or making a bad impression of visitors. Additionally, the managing partners often get into fights with each other that often end in yelling profanities and slamming doors. Profane and offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, weight and so on are heard on a daily basis. This is a family business and nepotism runs rampant. There is also no HR department, so there is absolutely no one with which to address these issues. You will end up talking to a managing partner who will quickly dismiss your complaints and also take them extremely personally and hold a grudge.

Lastly, this company does not operate as a modern integrated advertising agency should. The public relations efforts are pure solicitation. Quantity over quality is the name of the game. The writing is corny, uninformed and borderline offensive. The creative work is rushed and looks very dated. Everything is printed on paper, which is very wasteful and also means edits are delayed or lost daily. The social media is handed off to employees who should not have social media in their job description and who are uneducated in social media and the nuances of each platform. It often goes unmonitored due to the fact that this agency is always understaffed because of its very high turnover rate.

I could go into so much more, but I hope this would be enough to make a person pause before accepting a job at RMD Advertising.

Advice to Management

Just stop. Stop taking advantage of young professionals. Stop tearing down good people. Stop positioning yourselves as the victims of rogue employees. Stop serving your clients half-baked efforts. Anyone who has ever interacted with this agency deserves better.

"Unfotunate Agency"

Former Employee - Art Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Art Director in Columbus, OH

Pros

I am really trying to think of one but unfortunately I one does not come to mind.

Cons

Works off an antiquated system from the system which even confuses the creative director at times at the status of jobs. No ideation is present, creative is substandard and there is no process or thought behind the design other than 'to make it look pretty'. Also, upon immediately being brought on I was told I would not work with the Media, PR or the Social departments which were the only other departments in the building not counting the college interns.

Advice to Management

There is a growing negative reputation about your practices which I ignored but unfortunately confirmed after only one week there.