Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Reviews

4.3
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory CEO, Science and Technology Facilities Council John Womersley
John Womersley
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "An excellent workplace. Somewhat isolated in the middle of the countryside."

Current Employee - Physicist
    Current Employee - Physicist

I have been working at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From a researcher point of view, STFC is an excellent workplace. It's a world-renowned laboratory in the fields of photon, neutron and muon sciences, biosciences, particle physics, high-powered lasers and space sciences. The atmosphere is informal, there is a very large amount of seminars and training available to improve your knowledge in technical subjects. Office space is not cramped (usually 2 scientists per office). The IT infrastructure is fulfilling my needs. The canteen at the site usually serves tasty and good quality food. I grade the bureaucracy at STFC as the best one I encountered so far in the different laboratories I worked in: procedures were well organized and administrative staff was efficient and helpful.

Cons

RAL is located in Harwell Campus. The site is in the middle of the countryside, far from larger cities, the largest town nearby being Didcot. If you wish to live in larger, more active, cities you'll need to commute with a trip time around 30-40min from Oxford, 40-50min from Reading or 1:20-1:40 from London. The career advancement opportunities inside STFC are somewhat limited.

2. "I enjoyed being an intern at RAL"

Pros

I enjoyed my internship at RAL very much.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

3. "RAL Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Most of the people working there are amazing and interesting. You are part of a world class research group, developing new technologies.

Cons

Not many bad things. Sometimes I either felt out of my depth (which can be a good thing) or without a clear purpose on what I should be doing.

Advice to Management

In my opinion everything was at that point that I do not have an actual advice for management, except to keep up to good work.

4. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Placement in Didcot, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Placement in Didcot, England (UK)

I worked at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scientific environment. High level intense research.

Cons

Limited contact with supervisors, but it depends on the individual.

5. "exceptional"

Current Employee - Summer Student in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Summer Student in Oxford, England (UK)

Pros

Good communication from management
    friendly working atmosphere

Cons

Low level of actual work to be completed