Ryerson Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryerson President/CEO Edward Lehner
Edward Lehner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Expect upper management to be rude and passive aggressive" (in 9 reviews)

• "Pay wasn't high enough and the Inside sales position term is too long" (in 6 reviews)

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The CEO has the company on a consistent and clearly defined path. Upper management truly cares about the employees.

Cons

Not a true con, but due to the number of people/locations/acquisitions, there is a good bit of processes that dont get followed exactly which creates headaches for mid-management.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the consistent message and work to pay down company debt.

Nov 27, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your experience with others!

"Ryerson Credit Dept"

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, bonus, management, cleanliness, dress code

Cons

Male oriented environment, no sick time, vacation, work/life balance, computer systems & processes

Advice to Management

More team building activities

Mar 11, 2019 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to email us at careers@ryerson.com if you’d like to share more!

3. "Tax Intern for the Summer"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at Ryerson part-time

Pros

Very nice people, great job of getting interns involved with the company.

Cons

Not always enough work which made days boring.

Feb 18, 2019 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for providing your feedback. Please email us at careers@ryerson.com if you’d like to share more!

4. "Overall Great Company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement here for sure.

Cons

Corporate structure is alot to handle.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work. Look at the lower guys for advancement.

Feb 11, 2019 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback!

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Ryerson going on one year in outside sales with a previous background in the metals industry. This company has been one of the best I have worked for. Despite its size, everyone feels like and treats you like family. Managers truly care about you as an employee and a person. Not just direct managers but upper management as well. They are actively involved (including the CEO), communicating with employees on the ground floor making sure they keep everyone actively engaged in company wide goals while making sure those employees understand the role they play in achieving these goals. Ryerson makes it very clear and reminds employees of their value and how they individually contribute to the bottom line. They actively ask what your desires are in regards to upward movement within the company and pay at or above industry standards. If you work hard for Ryerson, they will work hard for you. Still the best in the metals industry.

Cons

No cons significant enough to mention.

Feb 5, 2019 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience with others!

6. "Ryerson"

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at Ryerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance is always a plus.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Appreciate your feedback!

7. "Good times no more"

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ryerson full-time

Pros

The people are mostly great
    Lots of opportunities for growth
    Busy in a good way—never a dull day, time flies.

Cons

A once great culture is going downhill fast in the North Market. Too many metrics. Everyone is stressed. Upper management does not appreciate the hard work of ground level workers.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at what is going on in the North Market. 2018 sales were great but employee satisfaction is low and 2019 will bring lots of turnover which will hurt long term results.

Feb 5, 2019 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. If you would like to share more, please do not hesitate to reach out. Please email us at careers@ryerson.com.

8. "Sales"

I have been working at Ryerson full-time

Pros

Good people on ambridge warehouse

Cons

Not strong enough Pittsburgh presence

Advice to Management

None in Pittsburgh

Appreciate your feedback!

9. "Not a bad place to work."

Current Employee - Sales in Peachtree Corners, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Peachtree Corners, GA

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing but positive things to say about our CEO. He is probably the most approachable person in that position that I’ve met. He’s very down to earth and more of his attitude should be sprinkled across all the locations.There are many things I think are positive about Ryerson. Opportunity is available for advancement. I personally went to the academy and understood that I must still work for what I want. Being a woman in the metals field is unique by itself. Ryerson has made a push to look at women in the business and the value they can bring as well. I learned a lot from the academy but it seemed to overwhelm me with so much information over a short period of time.

Cons

DIVERSITY!!! There isn’t much diversity in mid level or upper level management. There are groups of people who promote there friends never really giving someone a fair shake which is why the company has a complete different look in the north region vs the south region.

Advice to Management

It seems like management is slowly moving in the right direction but only time will tell

Nov 27, 2018 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate your input. Thank you for letting us know how we can do better.

"Inside Sales, depends on location"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Ryerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a recent grad, the Ryerson Academy is worth it. It is a great transition from college to the real world. They have made some changes that I can’t speak to, but it seems to have gotten even better since I was in it.
    If you are a woman, the metals industry will be tougher to navigate, but there will be greater opportunities for fast growth within the company.
    I loved the team in my office. Some of them are still my best friends. It was small, but that meant I actually got accounts when I first moved there, instead of still training or being someone’s back up. I grew so much, personally and professionally.
    There are regular business hours, pretty decent benefits, and some extra perks like sales contests or outings. These definitely depend on the office you are in, some offices invest a lot more and get better perks than others.

Cons

My opinion is all based out of one office/region, and largely based on management.
    The general manager was not very hands on with smaller issues and accounts. He treated all of us differently depending on his mood or personal opinion of you. We never knew when he would be in the office, he would often come in late or leave early, claiming he worked a lot more overtime than he seemed to. Part of this was that his family did not live near where he worked, so he would drive hours away for weekends and holidays, which is completely understandable.
    He loved quizzes and guessing games where you had little chance of reading his mind for the answer. One quarter, he told us we didn’t work hard enough and deserved to have our bonus taken away, which we only received because we worked hard. He has since been transferred to an office closer to his family, where he is working more with operations than sales.

Working in an office that was already understaffed became chaotic when we got a new inside sales manager. He came from an outside sales background, so was pretty smart about the market, types of metal, and uses. However, he had only done the inside sales job for less than a year. He had very little experience in the role we were doing, and did not make an effort to understand what we went through on a daily basis. He spoke down on us often, asking demeaning questions, offering obvious solutions that had already failed while trying to problem solve, and contradicting himself almost daily. He did not really know how to use the system we used for what we needed it for, only for managerial things. He was unable to help out with our workload on a daily basis or if someone was out on vacation. This was particularly not helpful when we were able to get new people, we ended up doing a lot of the training for him. It was very difficult to explain things to him sometimes, he simply could not comprehend what you were saying if you thought of an innovative or creative way to solve a problem. The local outside sales representatives avoided coming in the office so they wouldn’t have to deal with him.
    He was an incredible micromanager and would often check up on projects unnecessarily, which always took precedent over what you were currently working on. He was not clear on what he wanted from us, it depended on what he was getting yelled at by his superiors, I would imagine. There seemed to be multiple arguments with him per day. Some days we didn’t make enough sales, some days we didn’t make enough out calls. We were expected to grow immensely when we were already struggling with such a small staff. Due to some changes in another office, we were given more work with larger accounts, and it was not shared very fairly. We redivided our districts, and again a few months later when we got two new people from the Academy. We all began working a lot of overtime, and failing to complete our daily tasks. Tensions grew to be very high, and morale decreased, especially since we started getting yelled at for too much “chit chat” and not enough activating new customers.
    There was not a lot of leadership, but definitely a lot of bossing around.
    The most frustrating part about this, is that several people have left this year, not necessarily the company, but that particular sales office, yet this man got a promotion. I can’t believe he, and the company, don’t understand that he is the problem. I think that speaks to how much this company listens to valid criticism.
    I actually liked my job, my coworkers, my customers. It wasn’t glamorous, but I cared, and I was good at it. The sole reason I left was because of management and the incredible stress they caused me.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about the lower people on the totem pole. Some managers are incredibly secretive, not sharing information that should be available to their employees, such as personnelle change or when an important visitor will be in the office. Actually listen to what they have to say, do surveys of their opinions on management or the way things work, and then DO something. I know you can’t change everything, but even some small changes would help morale.
    Management definitely seems to care a lot more about their larger offices, accounts, and the reps who handle them. Make everyone feel important. Be a leader, not a boss.

Oct 25, 2018 – HR Coordinator