Ryerson Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Ryerson President/CEO Edward Lehner
Edward Lehner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Ryerson is a progressive company that has many opportunities for advancement" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great people and atmosphere, learned a lot about the company and industry" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expect upper management to be rude and passive aggressive" (in 8 reviews)

• "Pay wasn't high enough and the Inside sales position term is too long" (in 6 reviews)

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The CEO has the company on a consistent and clearly defined path. Upper management truly cares about the employees.

Cons

Not a true con, but due to the number of people/locations/acquisitions, there is a good bit of processes that dont get followed exactly which creates headaches for mid-management.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the consistent message and work to pay down company debt.

Nov 27, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your experience with others!

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Ryerson full-time

Pros

Good people on ambridge warehouse

Cons

Not strong enough Pittsburgh presence

Advice to Management

None in Pittsburgh

Appreciate your feedback!

3. "Not a bad place to work."

Current Employee - Sales in Peachtree Corners, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Peachtree Corners, GA

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing but positive things to say about our CEO. He is probably the most approachable person in that position that I’ve met. He’s very down to earth and more of his attitude should be sprinkled across all the locations.There are many things I think are positive about Ryerson. Opportunity is available for advancement. I personally went to the academy and understood that I must still work for what I want. Being a woman in the metals field is unique by itself. Ryerson has made a push to look at women in the business and the value they can bring as well. I learned a lot from the academy but it seemed to overwhelm me with so much information over a short period of time.

Cons

DIVERSITY!!! There isn’t much diversity in mid level or upper level management. There are groups of people who promote there friends never really giving someone a fair shake which is why the company has a complete different look in the north region vs the south region.

Advice to Management

It seems like management is slowly moving in the right direction but only time will tell

Nov 27, 2018 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate your input. Thank you for letting us know how we can do better.

"Inside Sales, depends on location"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Ryerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a recent grad, the Ryerson Academy is worth it. It is a great transition from college to the real world. They have made some changes that I can’t speak to, but it seems to have gotten even better since I was in it.
    If you are a woman, the metals industry will be tougher to navigate, but there will be greater opportunities for fast growth within the company.
    I loved the team in my office. Some of them are still my best friends. It was small, but that meant I actually got accounts when I first moved there, instead of still training or being someone’s back up. I grew so much, personally and professionally.
    There are regular business hours, pretty decent benefits, and some extra perks like sales contests or outings. These definitely depend on the office you are in, some offices invest a lot more and get better perks than others.

Cons

My opinion is all based out of one office/region, and largely based on management.
    The general manager was not very hands on with smaller issues and accounts. He treated all of us differently depending on his mood or personal opinion of you. We never knew when he would be in the office, he would often come in late or leave early, claiming he worked a lot more overtime than he seemed to. Part of this was that his family did not live near where he worked, so he would drive hours away for weekends and holidays, which is completely understandable.
    He loved quizzes and guessing games where you had little chance of reading his mind for the answer. One quarter, he told us we didn’t work hard enough and deserved to have our bonus taken away, which we only received because we worked hard. He has since been transferred to an office closer to his family, where he is working more with operations than sales.

Working in an office that was already understaffed became chaotic when we got a new inside sales manager. He came from an outside sales background, so was pretty smart about the market, types of metal, and uses. However, he had only done the inside sales job for less than a year. He had very little experience in the role we were doing, and did not make an effort to understand what we went through on a daily basis. He spoke down on us often, asking demeaning questions, offering obvious solutions that had already failed while trying to problem solve, and contradicting himself almost daily. He did not really know how to use the system we used for what we needed it for, only for managerial things. He was unable to help out with our workload on a daily basis or if someone was out on vacation. This was particularly not helpful when we were able to get new people, we ended up doing a lot of the training for him. It was very difficult to explain things to him sometimes, he simply could not comprehend what you were saying if you thought of an innovative or creative way to solve a problem. The local outside sales representatives avoided coming in the office so they wouldn’t have to deal with him.
    He was an incredible micromanager and would often check up on projects unnecessarily, which always took precedent over what you were currently working on. He was not clear on what he wanted from us, it depended on what he was getting yelled at by his superiors, I would imagine. There seemed to be multiple arguments with him per day. Some days we didn’t make enough sales, some days we didn’t make enough out calls. We were expected to grow immensely when we were already struggling with such a small staff. Due to some changes in another office, we were given more work with larger accounts, and it was not shared very fairly. We redivided our districts, and again a few months later when we got two new people from the Academy. We all began working a lot of overtime, and failing to complete our daily tasks. Tensions grew to be very high, and morale decreased, especially since we started getting yelled at for too much “chit chat” and not enough activating new customers.
    There was not a lot of leadership, but definitely a lot of bossing around.
    The most frustrating part about this, is that several people have left this year, not necessarily the company, but that particular sales office, yet this man got a promotion. I can’t believe he, and the company, don’t understand that he is the problem. I think that speaks to how much this company listens to valid criticism.
    I actually liked my job, my coworkers, my customers. It wasn’t glamorous, but I cared, and I was good at it. The sole reason I left was because of management and the incredible stress they caused me.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about the lower people on the totem pole. Some managers are incredibly secretive, not sharing information that should be available to their employees, such as personnelle change or when an important visitor will be in the office. Actually listen to what they have to say, do surveys of their opinions on management or the way things work, and then DO something. I know you can’t change everything, but even some small changes would help morale.
    Management definitely seems to care a lot more about their larger offices, accounts, and the reps who handle them. Make everyone feel important. Be a leader, not a boss.

Oct 25, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. If you would like to share more, please do not hesitate to reach out. Please email us at careers@ryerson.com.

5. "Not the best or worst place to work for"

Former Employee - Crane Operator for Shipping in Blytheville, AR
    Former Employee - Crane Operator for Shipping in Blytheville, AR

I worked at Ryerson (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays good
    Friendly atmosphere
    Good training on safty

Cons

Organization is terrible
    All departments are not treated equally
    Shipping department is totally messed up

Advice to Management

Work on people skills and organization gpod company if ran correctly

Oct 25, 2018 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate your input. Thank you for letting us know how we can do better.

"Bad Time to work for Ryerson"

I worked at Ryerson (More than a year)

Pros

I had a wonderful boss myself, and the people are great.

Cons

They cut pretty much everything that made Ryerson a fun place to work and it really hurt morale.

Aug 28, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’d like to learn more so we can address the situation. Please email us at careers@ryerson.com if you’d like to share more.

7. "Good Career"

I have been working at Ryerson full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, and the people.

Cons

Structure and amount of work

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Coordinator

We’re glad you shared your experience!

"Inside Sales"

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, especially ones that are willing to help you. Training opportunities offered to help you grow your knowledge. Staff is nice., and opportunities to make good money.

Cons

Limited vacation when you first start. Not very flexible on hours.

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback!

9. "Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive working environment. A lot of resources to help you be successful. Work flow is never boring.

Cons

Sales can be tricky and costumers sometimes are rude.

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

10. "Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Ryerson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement. Great culture around the company. You get rewarded for making money. The company doesn't mind spending money for training, catered lunches, customer and employee entertainment, etc. Lots of perks outside of just a paycheck

Cons

You can move up quickly but you have to be willing to move. If you don't want to move, you are in competition with everyone at the local level and you are subject to seniority rules.

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your experience . Please email us at careers@ryerson.com if you’d like to share more!