SEO.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Mike Mann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Agency life doesn't get better anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SEO.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Of all the jobs that I've had this is by and large the best one. I've worked at several agencies in the valley, and they all have their ups and downs. However, if you care about culture, and giving clients exactly what they pay for (Most of the time way more) then this is the place for you. They care so much about their craft, clients, and culture.

It's the kind of job you don't hate, and you can feel proud about being a part of.

Cons

All agencies have ups and downs and pros and cons. I'm digging really deep to find one to list here. I guess I would say that it would be nice if some members of management were more open to fresh ideas, and moved faster to implement processes.

Advice to Management

I love the transparency with financial picture growth stats
    Move faster with processes

2. "A company struggling to stay afloat when I was there"

Former Employee - SEO Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - SEO Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at SEO.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some of the people worked with here. The company president is respectable. I gained experience with seo and some digital marketing tasks.

Cons

The company was struggling financially and struggling to keep up with the shift from seo to digital marketing. Paychecks were an uncertainty, though I believe this has improved after I left.

Advice to Management

Delve into more content management. Perhaps have teams with a content writer, graphic designer, and Web developer in addition to the online marketing manager.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

Pros

SEO.com was great from during 2008-2010. They cared about their clients, allowed flexible schedules and treated employees well. There was a strong interest in improving personal marketing skills, and many employees that worked for SEO.com built successful careers in the internet marketing space due to the knowledge they gained at SEO.com.

Cons

When local founders left, the owner bled the company by spending cash and reserves instead of investing in the company. He treated employees with disregard. Everyone was dispensable. It created a dysfunctional workplace where employees were constantly worried about being fired or laid off. Cash flow became a serious problem. Very little training happened. Clients would pay $100/hour and low level employees with limited experience would flounder trying to provide results. This created a lot of client turnover.

Advice to Management

Provide training to employees, so they actually know how to provide results to clients. The owner does not understand SEO, so he needs to back off and let local leadership make decisions.

"Grateful"

Current Employee - Queen of Everything in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Queen of Everything in Draper, UT

I have been working at SEO.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, remote work, casual work attire, industry education/training, cool co-workers, transparent boss, opportunities for advancement, fun days, competitive pay, and a valuable, transferable skill set. I have worked at SEO.com through a remarkable period of transition. Sometimes you have to tear down a house to build a castle, and now it seems like we have a really solid crew. I feel as though my opinions are valued by my coworkers and the President. I'm very thankful about the opportunities I have been given to learn everything I have. It hasn't been all rainbows and sunshine, but overall I've had a really great experience working here. I make the same amount or more as my male counterparts and believe I'm treated equally. The healthcare plan is unique and perfectly suits my needs. I can't believe how much I've learned and how far I've come.

Cons

I know it's in the works, but we need a better 401K plan.

Advice to Management

You're doing great!

5. "This is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at SEO.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at SEO.com for almost three years, and have enjoyed my time here. I came to the company with some online marketing experience, and have since learned a ton more about it. I like working here because it's a creative environment where self-starters thrive, and there is a great support network in place. I feel like my ideas are heard, and my input is valued.

Cons

Things haven't always been smooth at SEO.com. We went through some rather significant changes that threatened to put the company under, but current leadership has stepped up and put us back on very solid ground. There are still some issues to overcome - filling out all the teams, maintaining company-wide training on the latest trends, reducing employee and client turnover, and other smaller problems that all companies face.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, team. I very much appreciate how open the communication is. We've talked a lot about different ideas for growth, both with our business as well as with the quality of our service.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Coordinator in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Coordinator in Draper, UT

Pros

I love the people. They are really fun to work with. Management is also really good. They don't treat you like you're lower class; they ask for your opinion. The president also shares everything financially that is going on in the company and genuinely cares about all of the employees. We also have weekly strategy/training meetings with the whole company so SEO managers don't have to feel like they are on their own. I've started helping one of the teams with SEO work, so there is definitely opportunity to grow and build.

Cons

It would be nice to have bonuses, but our president is really working on getting the company is a good financial spot, so that's not an option right now.

7. "It's a boy's club. Don't work here."

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at SEO.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They're pretty flexible with hours, and benefits are competitive for Utah, though that's not saying much. Some of the employees are nice.

Cons

What can I say? If management likes you, then you're in, and if they don't, then it doesn't matter what you do--your work isn't noticed or appreciated. If you're a female, I would definitely give this place a pass. The senior management has no respect for women.

On top of that, it's just not a very good place to work. Don't come here expecting good training or to learn a lot--they put their new employees to work with minimal training, so each team and each employee has widely different skill sets and levels. You could pick up good marketing skills through your colleagues, but it will be mostly through osmosis. No one has time or energy to train new people or to even do quality assurance work for the clients they have.

In addition, there have been about 6 rounds of layoffs within the past year, so the employees are mistrustful of management. It's hard to work in an environment where you may be fired at any moment. And don't expect to be allowed to move positions or to learn new skills--they put you where they want you, and that's it.

Advice to Management

Fire current senior management.

"Lots of good, lots of scary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at SEO.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

President and VP level leadership of the company strives to uphold positive work environment and culture of company. Significant effort spent to protect employees from disconnected CEO. President and VP management focused on making sure that employees feel valued through good compensation and benefits packages. Excellent day to day culture and camaraderie among employees. Transparent and frank communication from management to employees about the state of the company. Work life balance a core value of company with both policy and practice to back it up.

Cons

Since losing organic rankings to search penalty the company has been in a tailspin and seems unable to pull out. Loss of Incoming sales opportunities, coupled with disconnects between sales process promises and fulfillment responsibilities and fulfillment strategy, will eventually finish them off. Only a few employees have strong enough technical background to be able to effectively deliver results for customers. Instead of innovative future proofers and problem solvers, think reactive bail bucket operators.

Advice to Management

Invest time and money to solve major site issues, develop good marketing plan, but mostly, identify a strategy and then follow through with it. Development of new strategy seemed to often trump implementation of previously settled strategy.

9. "Good starting point"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at SEO.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place for new SEOs to learn the basic skills and, if they stay long enough, they can learn management skills too.

Cons

No upward movement into management and quality of work is lower than required at other places.

Advice to Management

Hold technical training sessions for your employees and create some opportunities in upper management for employee growth. Send the team managers to management training in Salt Lake.

10. "Great company, felt like family there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at SEO.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, good unity among employees
    Good opportunities for advancement
    Fun company activities
    Casual dress code
    Flexible work hours (depending on the position, of course)

Cons

The majority owner is a volatile guy
    Benefits were average, not bad but not great either