Science Museum Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Science Museum Group Director of the Science Museum Group Ian Blatchford
Ian Blatchford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "it was a great experience"

Pros

I was having a good time

Cons

i had a good time

2. "Excellent employer with genuine opportunity"

Current Employee - People Team in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - People Team in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Museum Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazingly talented people creating exciting exhibits and developing the museum in incredible ways. Lots of progression for staff to move up into different roles. High-performance but supportive culture. A genuine embracing of flexible working arrangements and remote working where relevant. Good management. An admirable adherence to organisational values.

Cons

Salaries could be higher but it is a charity. If more benefits could be negotiated with affiliate organisations (eg free passes to other exhibitions) that would make a difference.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff and embracing change!

3. "Volunteer"

Current Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Museum Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to volunteer - friendly staff, and a great sense of satisfaction helping the public in one of the world's great museums.

Cons

Volunteering is what you make it, so everyone's experience is different.

4. "I feel like I am Inspiring Futures working at Science Museum Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Museum Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A unique, special and great place to work. Working for SMG I feel as though the organisation is really beginning to invest in developing its culture through new museum brands, its engaging Mission and Values and how it keeps its employees informed.

Furthermore, there are some amazing 'behind the scenes benefits' working for the group. For example, behind the scenes tours of our stored collections, trialling new VR equipment and experiences and getting sneak peaks before the openings of new galleries and exhibitions.

In terms of personal benefits, there is plenty of opportunity for flexibility. As long as you have the organisation in mind the managers here are open and very friendly.

Cons

As a public sector, charitable, organisation it is hard to not always have the luxury of finance behind you. Some of our office work-spaces and systems could use a little TLC but at the end of the day its the people and environment that make it such a great place to work. Besides, who needs a massive slide in the middle of the office or ping-pong tables in the staff social area when we have awesome galleries, exhibitions and collections to look around during our lunch break!

5. "Estates dept is a shamble"

Former Employee - Estates Administrative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Estates Administrative in London, England (UK)

I worked at Science Museum Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with great people who had worked in the dept for over 20 years

Cons

The directorship of the dept is a nightmare, got new head of dept recently who was a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Need to do better with people management

6. "Relaxed"

Pros

A very relaxed and fun place to work, fair working hours

Cons

Not much to say about the cons, the benefits aren't great

Advice to Management

NA

7. "Science Museum"

Pros

Fun and relaxed place to work!

Cons

At the time there was no career development.

8. "Great opportunity"

I worked at Science Museum Group full-time

Pros

A day at work will never be the same. Around 3 Million visitors come past the museum's doors every year, so you are able to experience first hand an array of languages and cultures on a daily basis.
    There is always something going on for the visitors: exhibitions, films, activities, Lates... and it is not uncommon to stumble upon a large group of children (and adults) on their way to the museum for a sleepover!
    Working in the museum is a fantastic opportunity to be part of one of the world-leading science museums, and there are many opportunities offered by the institution, such as courses to learn how to handle objects.

Cons

It can get very busy, and tens of thousands of people can be in the building at once. Loud and rude people com with the job, as in any tourist-ridden place.
    The front-of-house staff could receive better treatment from visitors and staff, who do not always appreciate or are familiarized with what they do. Alongside the security, FOH hold the grounds of the museum, and ensure that the visitors have a pleasant experience at the museum.

Advice to Management

I have always thought that it would be very interested if staff (especially those in the offices) would come down and get to know how the FOH work. Be more participative and incentive this knowledge exchange. I believe everyone has something to gain and to contribute to the museum by understanding the type of visitor (and their needs) that comes into the museum.

9. "tour person"

I worked at Science Museum Group part-time

Pros

fun and interesting place to work

Cons

pay wasn;t the most great

10. "Culture of bullying"

I worked at Science Museum Group full-time

Pros

Museum itself it full of wonderful items

Cons

Culture of blame and bullying is rife among employees, especially from the 'established' generation towards the interns and new employees. Management always seem to twist HR around their little finger, lying to avoid getting into trouble for inappropriate conduct. I was told they would make sure I never worked in the museum industry again when I attempted to make an official complaint about my manager's behaviour. A truly miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Your job is to nurture and support your employees, not belittle, bully and humiliate them, then threaten them when they try and fight back. Senior management need to have a word with themselves: when you see this kind of thing, don't awkwardly shrug and pretend it isn't happening.