Scot Forge Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 31, 2017

Full-timePart-time

John Cain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Scot Forge has room for improvement..."

Current Employee - Office
    Current Employee - Office

I have been working at Scot Forge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As an employee owner, I feel that my work is for a greater cause. Rather than being an employee working for a paycheck each week, I am a stakeholder and decision maker that can directly affect the success of the organization.

As an owner, I am representing my company, not just a company I work for.

Cons

During my first couple years I really enjoyed working at Scot Forge. However, the Scot Forge culture that I grew to love has diminished throughout the company over the past few years. Walls have been built between each department, and employee owners no longer go out of their way to help each other out. I personally feel this is due to management trying to "lean out processes” to the extreme that we are actually leaning out our personnel.

Advice to Management

Staff the organization appropriately: We do not hire new employees even when there are metrics that clearly demonstrate additional resources are needed. We do not re-hire or replace staff after employees leave, and we do not have a succession plan for the employee owners that are leaving/retiring/or have left. Department heads communicate the lack of resources; however every hiring decision must be approved and signed off by the CEO. We can easily re-invest back into the company with a multi-million dollar asset, but not in new employees?

Additional staff is needed on the front end of the business in lieu of more management. Leave the company better off than when you found it.

2. "Well Spent Time"

I have been working at Scot Forge full-time

Pros

Outstanding culture and people to work with. No other company will compare.

Cons

Long hours can interfere with home.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the people.

3. "Heat Treat Operator"

Current Employee - Heat Treat Operator in Spring Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Heat Treat Operator in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Scot Forge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee Owned, company stock and 401K match.

Cons

Management is disconnected from production personnel.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.

4. "Not here"

I worked at Scot Forge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When business is strong, bonus checks account for 40+% of your income. The people that you'll work with are out of this world amazing. People stay because of the friends that they make, not the money, stock, or management.

Cons

The management team is completely ignorant of reality. They are an employee owned company and offer company stock as your retirement plan. Once upon a time, people were retiring with millions in their 40's, but that is not the case for people entering the company now. They also do profit sharing twice per year and those bonuses can account for almost half of your income. During good years, they don't give you a reasonable (as in more than inflation) raise because you "make enough with the bonus." During bad years, they tell you you're not supposed to depend on a "bonus" when your income plummets and you still don't a reasonable raise. As a salary employee, you're expected to work 50/60 hours a week, including mandatory Saturdays while you're paycheck is for 40 hours/wk. The managers can't make decisions to save their lives and prolong any decision making until it is too late. They completely disrespect their employees, especially women. There are no females in any sort of meaningful management role as women have children which takes time and attention from the job. They also do not honor the guidelines as set by their employee handbook. If giving 2 weeks notice (as they request), expect to be asked to leave early with no pay. Scot Forge will spend $100 million on new equipment but won't hire a handful of people to properly staff departments in need. This company is the epitome of "the good ol' boys" club. They won't hire workers because it will dilute the stock, but they will hire middle managers (their friends) from outside and create positions to get them to the company. They do not hire from within for management roles. Overall, I found the environment to be toxic. I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone.

Advice to Management

Management struggles to make any sort of decision. They need to learn to take risks and make those decisions. Nothing is permanent but remaining stagnant isn't going to help success. The direction of the company seems to change yearly when the president reads a new book. Come up with a game plan and stick to it until it's finished. Starting 400 different "pilot programs" isn't helpful if none of them get completed.

5. "Once was great company"

Current Employee - Owner
    Current Employee - Owner

I have been working at Scot Forge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They will allow anyone to take MCC Management classes. Bonus was once good any may someday be good again. Company stock normally goes up yearly.

Cons

The last four years my pay has steadily/shockingly decreased. Due to poor profits and less overtime. We currently have a drastic amount of employees quitting weekly and management turns a blind eye to the problems with in the company.

Advice to Management

Try going on the floor and talking to your people, get a feel for the real heartbeat of the company before there is none left. Also pay Owners a living wage, off a forty hour work week!!!

6. "Great Company"

Pros

Employee owned Company... Information and goals openly shared.
    Great opportunity to grow your own career and make a difference!!

Fantastic short and long term benefits

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult when overtime is high.

7. "employee Owner"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Can`t think of any Pros !!!!!!!!

Cons

Long hours , low pay , Advancement only if you know someone

Advice to Management

one sided Management , It`s a Club ! Company should go back to the Values that original Owner INTENDED !

8. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL

I worked at Scot Forge (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a bond between the employees

Cons

Management's indifference to the employees

9. "Intern"

Pros

Great people, Great environment and Great benefits! You will learn a lot and get great real life work experience at Scot Forge! Would recommend to anyone.

Cons

Don't have any! Its a lot of work but prepares you for real world.

10. "Growing Pains"

I have been working at Scot Forge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee owned. Bonuses based on company performance. Company events are very family friendly and occur often. There are also monthly luncheons updating employees about the companies performance.

Cons

Low hourly pay. You have to work 55-65 hours per week to support a family. There is always a threat of hours being cut. The shop floor conditions are fairly cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. Senior management is detached from the floor workers and Middle management lacks leadership skills. There is definitely a good old boy system in place where your promoted based on connections, not performance.

Advice to Management

Increase wages so that hourly employees are not always stressed about hours. Promote based on work performance. Senior management should spend more time involved with floor employees and hold middle management more responsible for their actions.