Search Influence Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Will Scott

Pros
  • I currently work at Search Influence (in 18 reviews)

• The team building events are great and it gives you an opportunity to get to know your coworkers outside of the office (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The group of people at Search Influence consistently and impressively rise to this challenge (in 15 reviews)

• During my time there, 15 out of 35 account managers left in a period of 3 months (in 5 reviews)

"Great Company in a Growing Industry"

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open, fun office environment; owners that are involved in the day to day business;

Cons

Some think they should be paid more for the entry level work.

Sep 30, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

"Great work, not-so-great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Search Influence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers
    Office Environment
    Office Location
    On-the-job Training
    Engaging Work

Cons

Can't use anything you did there in a portfolio due to NDA
    Won't give you a reference once you leave
    Low pay dismissed as "industry standard"
    Restrictive, Aggressive non-compete contract

Advice to Management

Low pay is often dismissed because SI is a good place to grow your career. Stop being hostile to former employees and let them use their experience their to actually move on in their career. The removal of former employees' bylines on the SI blog is just insulting and needlessly harsh. After spending years at the company, someone who leaves has nothing to show for it.

Jan 9, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. Thank you also, for expressing the value of our training and the engaging work we do. I'm sorry your understanding of our policies makes them ... More

"An Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Account Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Account Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Search Influence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- relaxed environment
    - young, fun co workers

Cons

- most managers have ZERO prior experience managing anyone.
    - enslaved to their 3rd party company, leaving them to make few decisions based on clients. Many of the clients we worked with were horrible candidates for the services we were providing, meaning there would be little to no improvement no matter what we tried. Sales reps from the 3rd party company would sell anything to reach their quotas and we were left voiceless because without them, Search Influence would go under.
    - horrible hours and truly awful pay. Offensive.
    - non stop revolving door of employees. During my time there, 15 out of 35 account managers left in a period of 3 months. Incredibly unstable and hostile work environment.
    - care more about PR than HR issues. Issued a "Women in Tech" campaign stating that the majority of the company were women and how this was progressive for the tech world. Conveniently left out that all but TWO of these women had nothing to do with web development and coding whatsoever! Two out of a team of ten, a standard for the industry. A complete scam.

Advice to Management

I genuinely think that there is no helping this company. The management (founders) truly see nothing wrong with the way they treat their employees. A lost cause once the pattern of hiring naive new college grads catch up with them.

Will Scott really should be ashamed of himself.

Nov 9, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. I am sorry that Search Influence was not a fit for you. I'm also sorry that in your personal anger you are choosing to attack some of the things ... More

"Your ideas and opinions matter!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Search Influence for several years now. I have worked for other employers before and can honestly say that Search Influence is one of the best places to work. Here are some of the reasons why...

They listen & push you to be the best. It is extremely rare when an employer cares about the employees' ideas, opinions and personal growth. They encourage employees bring their ideas of how to improve processes to make us more efficient or get better client results. They want to hear how you feel about your job and how they can make you the happiest in that role. They want you to not only grow as professionally, but personally.

Management wants you to WANT to come to work every day. They wanted to create a place that you enjoy the work you do, but also work with people that you like. Many employees are close inside and outside of the office.

The internet marketing industry is constantly changing which allows lots of opportunity to keep learning. The training they provide for new employees and ongoing, is above the rest. Having to stay up with the industry keeps you on your toes and you are never bored.

Cons

The internet marketing industry is still pretty new and is constantly changing. If you don't like the fast-paced atmosphere, this is not the place for you.

We hire a lot of recent college graduates that have little professional experience. Because they've never worked anywhere else before, they do not realize how great of a company this really is and other companies are not like this.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent to employees as you can and invest in training opportunities.

Sep 30, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review.

"3 Reasons You Would Want to Work at Search Influence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Pros

I currently work at Search Influence. And although I am relatively new (less than a year here), I can say with confidence that Search Influence is a great place to work. How do I know? I have over 15 years experience in the marketing and advertising industry. In that time, I have worked for some good companies, a few bad companies, and one or two really ugly ones. I know what works well and what doesn't.

Here are three reasons I would recommend Search Influence to a friend:

1. The training a new hire receives here is UNBELIEVABLE. Even though I have experience, I went through it. The process was very organized. There is a manual. I repeat - an actual manual that explains everything a person needs to know and do to do a great job. In small and medium-sized companies, that is a rarity. In addition, there are training classes in which you sit down with a manager or subject matter expert to review the manual. You can ask questions. Get clarification. Even hands-on practice. How many times have you started a new job and been thrown into your new position without any documentation or training? That will not happen at Search Influence. The average employee receives over 200 hours of on-the-job training in their first three months.

2. Casual work environment and dress code. We are in New Orleans, and in the summer months, if you live here or been for a visit during off-peak times, it gets down right hot. At Search Influence, you can wear shorts, a tank top and, dare I say to you corporate folks out there, open-toed shoes. That is a stark comparison to those stuffy offices where pantyhose and jackets are required.

3. Search Influence values its employees. It stresses a "work hard, play harder" culture. Once a quarter, the office shuts completely down and for 3 hours employees are able to participate in fun, team-building events. Last year, we went on a scavenger hunt in the French Quarter, had a crawfish boil, competed in team trivia, among other events. Think about it. That's a big investment from the owners -- 80+ people getting paid to have fun.

So, there you have it. Search Influence is a great company. We are in a growing industry, continuous learning about the in's and out's of online marketing, working and getting paid to have fun in the world's best city.

Cons

Downtown traffic and parking can get a little hairy. Many employees ride bikes or take the streetcar instead.

"Great place to grow, learn and work with some amazing people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for over three years so I've experienced a lot of the good things over the years

- Health plan is good: Company covers some and it is pretty rich in benefits.

- The work is good: I'm driven by learning new things, and this agency and industry provide that. You do have to be able to roll with the punches and learn quickly to succeed here, but that is typical in both an agency setting and internet marketing.

- Good people: Really good! I see these people 40+ hours a week and still want to hang out with them on the weekends.

- Smart people: While this could also fit under good people, it's important to note that SI hires really smart people that do awesome stuff in and outside of work. Having conversations with people in the work place or at the quarterly team building events, you realize you work with some unique and very intelligent individuals.

- Team building events: Every quarter we do a team building event. Gets everyone out of the office and hanging out together. Events in the past included bouncy houses, crawfish boils, field days, bowling.

- Training: I hinted at this above but you learn - a lot! SI will actually formally train you on the most up to date SEO tactics and then as you continue to grow here and ask (and earn) for responsibility - you get it! If you can do the work, management won't hold you back!

- Transparency: As someone who's really grown in this company (started at entry level and now in middle management) my managers and the CEO and COO have always been readily available and willing to answer any questions. My manager's have always been open with me about my capabilities within the company and how I can continue improve alongside what I'm doing well. In that vein there is a well structured review format and weekly meetings with your managers so that you always know how you are performing, and there is always a space to ask questions.

Overall, I get inspired at work and not a lot of people can say that about their jobs. Everyday I get to work with an amazing team, help a bunch of small businesses (it's the best when they call and thank you for making their annual revenue skyrocket), and constantly be learning something new.

Cons

- High amount of work: I'm listing this as a con because it can be a challenge, but I am actually grateful for it - There is a lot of work to do. If you want a job where you play solitaire all day, this is not for you. If you enjoy working on multiple projects and clients at once and need that push - then the heavy workload can be a really good thing.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Continue to be transparent with the team and continue innovating, both within the company and in the industry.

"Great Opportunities Here. Obviously Room for Improvement, but Where is There Not?"

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm going to ignore the "Pro's and Con's" format if that is ok with you. Before you write this off as a “fluff” review, I want to disclose that I have not loved every minute of my time at SI, and still have my qualms about the way they structure things. Like any job, I’ve had bad months, and I’ve had good months, but the positive attributes of this organization vastly outweigh the negatives. A lot of of the positive reviews you see on here are, as previous critics have argued, indeed are possibly “strategically placed”, but what other option does a company have when a few bad apples try to wage a full fledged assault on your Glassdoor page?

Now my momma always taught me to not say anything at all if I don’t have anything nice to say, but the negative reviews on this page are arguably more inaccurate than they’re asserting the positive ones are. I’m not usually one to vilify millennials for having a sense of entitlement, but if the people who have made loud exits in the past few months are an indication of our new workforce, my confidence is waning. Job searching of any kind requires perspective, and Internet Marketing for small businesses is no exception. To think that you’ll be rolling like The Wolf of Wall Street after a year in this business makes your dissatisfaction with your low wage, quite simply, your own fault. To those who complain of the lack of managerial transparency or initiative, this isn’t elementary school. If someone isn’t listening to what you try to convey, make them listen. If you feel undervalued, prove your value. If you hate the pay structure THAT much, just leave and find another job. Don’t try to burn the place down as you leave, and hurt the people and environment you claim is one of best parts of the company.

Cons

All of this perspective talk isn’t to say that Search Influence doesn’t provide opportunity! I know plenty of people who have worked here, and leveraged their experience to get higher paying jobs. The experience you get, across the board, is extremely valuable. While the management structure may be a tad stale, they are very open to criticism and, when ACTUALLY addressed with issues, will be upfront with you regarding the solutions. **This is to say, if you complain to your friends about X over the internet all day while at work, and nothing is done about it, you have no grounds to gripe.**

All in all, I have been treated with dignity, support, and empowerment in most endeavors I have taken on here. Sure there may be a slightly low pay-scale (for a pretty low margin business - so this shouldn’t be shocking to any of you), but to completely discount the aforementioned three qualities because your friend who is an engineer is making more than you, is just plain silly.

Advice to Management

If you pay someone $13 an hour, you're going to get $13 an hour worth of work. Embrace your individuality and your core values that made you who you are (the way things were at Oak St.) You don't need to posture yourself as a place for people to "make their career" in order to have dedicated, productive workers.

Jun 25, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions. We appreciate the candor and pragmatism of your review. I'd love to hear more about our "stale" management structure and the ways in which you ... More

"Good People, Bad Company"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Search Influence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I learned a lot of new skills in the Internet marketing industry. Everything is documented to hell and back, so it was easy to get a handle of the job.

- Many fun company-paid outings.

- No lawyers have come after me for violating the noncompete contract like other reviews have claimed.

- The company seemed to be taking steps to improve right when I left. While I never got to see the results of those initiatives, I left feeling optimistic for my former coworkers (even though I had no second thoughts about leaving).

- Work/life balance is achievable if you are hourly.

- They offer maternity leave. Not a lot of maternity leave (2 weeks?), but better than nothing. I was impressed by how supportive the company was of pregnant employees and new mothers.

- Once you build a reputation for being a good egg who shows up to work on time and tracks your time well, you won't be monitored very closely by your manager.

- Aside from the usual clique of top employees, everyone was really nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

- It took a culmination of bad reviews over time on GlassDoor to convince management to give employees a better wage. I can't confirm anyone writes fake GlassDoor reviews for this company, but I can say management takes this website seriously enough to host company-wide discussions about it. The timing of many new reforms, such as a recent wage increase, seem to coincide with rivers of poor reviews. To me, this suggests that employees are uncomfortable airing their qualms or concerns until after they have already left. I know I felt that way. It also suggests that management doesn't listen to employee complaints until they threaten the company image.

- There is an environment of paranoia. You are pitted against your coworkers to be faster, more accurate, more productive, but no one knows what is average or normal for the team as a whole. The result is becoming convinced that you are doing the most poorly, like you are two grammar mistakes away from getting let go. I had some miniature panic attacks at my desk because i was convinced I was the weakest link, and it wasn't until I was on my way out that I realized that everyone was in the same self-loathing boat. This was getting better as I left, no idea how it is now.

- You can have a work/life balance, but only if you aren't invested in your job. I was able to leave at 5 on the dot everyday without problems. If I stayed late, my entire team would be gone by 5:30. If you are consumed by apathy and just need to mindlessly earn money, this job works very nicely. If you show above average dedication to the company, there goes your social life. I'm listing this as a con because I don't think a healthy work environment should encourage a lack of attachment in order to have a life outside work. I also don’t think employees who genuinely like Search Influence should be punished with outrageous work loads. Believe me, no one comes to this company wanting to be that mediocre, coasting employee. We all wanted to succeed.

- I actually had a lawyer look at the noncompete contract before I signed it. He basically said it was as restrictive as a contract could be without getting the employer in trouble, almost to the point of ridiculousness. It’s meant to be an empty threat to lower employees and a legal trump card for higher level developers and executives. As I said in the pro section, no lawyers have threatened me yet for getting work elsewhere, but I think it’s because I’m too small a fish.

- Promotions, raises, and benefits are based on a timetable, not performance. You don’t earn PTO until you have worked there for 3 months, and your raise can range from nothing to a whole dollar per hour. Promotions can even end up hurting you by slamming you with an enormous workload. Again, many employees find themselves happiest as coasters earning small raises rather than taking on new responsibilities.

- The Account Manager and Production Teams are constantly at war with each other. Inter-team communication was truly dismal during my time at SI. AMs order around IMs, and the IMs almost always have to oblige them. To protect themselves, IMs have to document every irregularity that happens while completing a task, usually with enormous team-wide spreadsheets. Employees shouldn’t have to screenshot and record each other’s failings in order to save their own hides.

- The only thing SI is more concerned about than its GlassDoor reviews is how each and every employee spends their time. Employees are expected to be in the office between 9 am and 5 pm. The hours are not unreasonable, but their strict enforcement is. Being five minutes late on a few occasions is grounds to be turned down for a raise. Being late multiple times could get you fired. Once you are at work and clocked in, you must document your every move through ‘time tracking.’ You get one lunch break between 30-60 minutes long and two 15 minute breaks. Outside of those, every single second you spend in that office must be devoted to work, nothing else. The fact of the matter is that employees are just as productive with time tracking as they are without. The difference is the paranoia and stress of being watched.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your employees. Really good people work at SI, people who really want to love their jobs and succeed. The trouble is that no one can succeed in a company constantly on the lookout for mistakes to punish.

Aug 15, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your views. Your rating is a "1", but your description is more of a 3 or 4, comparatively - so thanks for that. Not every job is for every person. And, not every ... More

"A Great Company For Entry-Level Positions and Continued Growth"

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Search Influence is willing to hire people right out of college with little to no relevant online marketing experience or even "real" work experience. People with odd jobs here and there are welcome, which is cool since it's hard to find somewhere that doesn't require you to already have experience these days (outside of unpaid internships, which no one has the time/money for).

The Production Department does a really good job at giving clear cut career opportunities and what you need to get to them. The Account Management team has started a similar career path opportunity and the other departments are working towards similar goals.

Constant learning at Search Influence. Everyday I learn something new, and I really appreciate the company's continued investment in their employees' education at every level.

A lot of people at Search Influence really care about the work they do which makes the work environment an easy and fun one to work and collaborate in.

Upper management is really transparent about company wide goals and how the company is doing.

Cons

As with any office environment with lots of young professionals, there's a lot of learning to be done all around. You need to have a lot of patience to work with some of the people at Search Influence, but generally they do a good job of hiring people who are willing to work hard.

Pay could be better. Recent efforts have been made to improve lower level positions (WOOHOO!), but a few positions' pay are not even close to comparable to positions in marketing and tech businesses elsewhere in the Greater New Orleans Area.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent. Keep working on improving pay.

Jun 14, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. We appreciate the realization that this is a work in progress. We may not always get it right but we're committed to the process. We will ... More

"Don't work here."

Current Employee - Account Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Account Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my coworkers and I enjoy interacting with them on a day-to-day basis. Everyone has a similar "work-hard, play-hard" mentality and most employees are young and energetic. This is my first full-time job after college and many of my coworkers are in a similar situation.

The company also holds a quarterly team-building event, which gives employees a chance to bond with other teams and departments.

I have learned quite a bit about the industry and about office life in general in the 10 months since I started at Search Influence.

Cons

The vast majority of employees, myself included, believe we are overworked and underpaid. Apparently we're right around the industry average (according to the CEO), but most employees find that hard to believe - myself included.

When I interviewed for a Junior Account Associate. I was told that once I was able to handle several basic job responsibilities (typically 3-6 months in) I would be promoted to Account Associate. AAs make between $14 and $16 hours an hour, **I was told**, depending on experience level. Although I received nothing but positive feedback and I definitely exceeded expectations of the job details by my 3-month mark, I didn't receive a promotion until I asked repeatedly.... and even then my wage increased to only $12.50/hr. I was blatantly lied to during my interview, something I'm still not over. I should have gotten it in writing... (lesson learned) Even after a team-wide raise due to widespread unrest and high employee turnover, I am still significantly below the $14 mark. Compensation at this company is not good, but the fact that I was lied to was even worse.

On the Account Management Team, our overall workload has drastically increased since I began - our sales partners bring in an absurd amount of clients - but the number of account managers has decreased by about 20% since 10 months ago. Even working overtime, it is nearly impossible to deliver quality results to each of my 40ish clients. Our processes are convoluted and unnecessary, communication between departments is lacking, transparency with employees is dreadful, and overall there seems to be a major disconnect between upper management and what we all do every day. Our 'research and development' department doesn't ever research ways to make our lives easier and it seems like most of my day is spent doing damage control with clients instead of actually helping anyone's marketing efforts. If I knew how things worked around here and I owned a business, I wouldn't hire us.

I actually had a meeting a few months ago with my team Manager, the CEO, and the COO to discuss the employee turnover issue. Since then things have only gotten worse, to the point where I actually decided to leave myself. I am a current employee (as this review says) but in 2 weeks I will no longer be with Search Influence. This may just be my own biases talking, but since I started here employee morale seems to have taken a nosedive and the majority of employees are actively seeking other jobs. In that meeting I referenced earlier, the CEO said something that concerned me. He has a 'survival of the fittest' mentality when discussing employee retention - the people that can handle the work will stay, and the people that can't will leave.

Will, I know you'll read this review, so if there's one thing you should take away... that mentality, in my opinion, is a terrible approach. With that mentality some employees may stick around and do what they need to do, but they won't necessarily be happy in the process. Given the sink-or-swim ideology that the CEO believes in, this company feels more like an anchor than a life vest. I'm cutting the chain before I sink any further.

The way things are going now is not sustainable. As the quality of our product declines our partner relationships will also, and that will lead to even more work putting out fires on a day to day basis. Then more employees will leave. It's a vicious cycle and I have no idea how the company will ever turn it around. Leadership seems to lack any big-picture solutions to these major problems.

Please, do yourself a favor and stay away from this company. Do I regret working here? No, but I certainly wouldn't have accepted this job offer if I knew how things really worked.

Advice to Management

First off, just know that I have no hard feelings towards anyone here because everyone has always personally treated me with respect. The issues I have with this company are bigger than any individual, and I honestly hope you are able to improve this employee turnover problem. But please, please, please, re-evaluate the way you do business and the way you treat employees before it's too late.

Jun 14, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feelings. We all appreciate your passion and I'm hopeful you're able to find a place you can put that passion to work productively. While we have always ... More