Sentinel Real Estate Corp. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
John Streicker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • re satisfied with being a leasing consultant for your whole career and never moving up, it (in 4 reviews)

• Good company overall, can advance if willing to relocate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is very clique-y, which means that if you ever have a problem with a supervisor, good luck getting it up to HR (in 12 reviews)

• They are based out of New York and even though the corporate office was far away, there was always help if needed (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best Company for a leasing agent"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Mount Pleasant, SC

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair Hourly and GREAT commission scale.

Cons

Owned by investors, so little change is done over a long span of time.

Advice to Management

Employee Rally's or More open ended communication and room for improvement and allow for improvisions per individual properties and audience.

2. "Direct management was sexist and repeatedly yelled at employees to the point some broke down in tears."

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, buildings are kept in good condition, money is spent on tenants.

Cons

Slow moving, can't get maintenance and other major items done in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Do more supervision of your long term employees especially those who go through employees every few years. There is a valid reason they leave.

3. "It's all a matter of perspective"

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time

Pros

Long term growth, stability, benefits and PTO are suitable, excellent work/life balance.

Cons

This isn't the place for an eager go-getter expecting a progressive management style.

"Leasing"

Pros

If you’re satisfied with being a leasing consultant for your whole career and never moving up, it’s the perfect job for you

Cons

Management is discriminating, threatening and bullies to their employees. If you value yourself, respect yourself and stand up for what you believe in and what is right, don’t work with Sentinel.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Liberty, MO
    Former Employee - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Liberty, MO

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is on par with other companies

Cons

Poor Management
    Set in Old school ways
    Outdated Training
    No Room for Growth

Advice to Management

Change the Management, you are pushing good employees out the door. Stop looking at how long someone has been with the company. Look at the work they do or don't do for the company.

"Analyst"

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time

Pros

They have quarterly wine receptions

Cons

Girls are not allowed to wear pants.
    The management is unprofessional and most managers do not have the skills to manage people. They do not want to see you succeed and they push you down so they can rise themselves. And I'm top of it all, they underpay ALOT and over work.

Advice to Management

Get all new management because the current "professionals" in management roles are self centered, not intelligent and very unprofessional.

7. "Staff"

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time

Pros

The staff was like a family and that helps in this line of work.

Cons

Not organized making it hard to do your job

8. "Property Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love a challenge

Cons

Woman were made to wear skirts and dresses as part of the accepted dress code, so as not to offend one of their commercial building owners. Tenants were misled regularly.

Advice to Management

Clean house of your on site upper level management.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in leasing for a while now, and Sentinel is hands down the best company I've ever worked for. I am a Leasing Consultant and I have never worked with a better group of people. As the saying goes, it's the people who make the job, but I so love what I do.

The pay is great, as well as the commission if you are good at your job. From switching from my previous employer, I more than doubled my income at my first year with Sentinel.

Some people complain about the uniform. I don't see why. I've saved thousands of dollars on clothes, and it's more of a selection of trendy professional uniforms for Lands End that you get twice a year---and I can't complain about that. And you get to pick from the catalog!

Everything must be documented, which can be extremely time consuming. However, I have learned with time that this is very helpful to properly manage a property. Compared to other companies I have worked for, documenting everything has proven to keep our property organized at almost all times.

Sentinel really goes to great lengths to train you properly so you can be the best that you can be at your job.

I finally have medical, dental, 401k, and life insurance!

Cons

Corporate is extremely set in their ways, to the point in which conservative becomes just plain outdated. For example, if you work for Corporate and are a woman, you must wear skirts to work and not pants. Other comparative companies will let you wear whatever you want, sport your tattoos, etc. but Sentinel is a bit too strict with this. I'm just glad I don't have to wear a skirt to work every day (I'm not corporate).

There is also an unspoken divide between non-corporate and corporate employees, and I feel like there is a tiny bit of animosity and resentment between the two.

There is a lot of focus on the surprise internal audit every 9-15 months, and I feel like in a way this can hinder employees from doing their job of focusing on managing the property and make them preoccupied with having the perfect audit. However, the audit is a great learning experience.

Yardi is ancient software, and it takes some getting used to.

Health insurance does not cover mental health, which can be a bit insulting to someone with any situation (depression, etc). With so many millions of Americans seeking help for depression, anxiety, etc, it was shocking to find out that mental health was not covered by Sentinel.

Advice to Management

Be less conservative and more with the 21st century. Offer employees mental health coverage as part of their health insurance plan. Maybe ditch Yardi and go for a better software once that contract expires.

"Not awesome"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sentinel Real Estate Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay (slightly above industry standard)
    Reasonable Benefits
    401k with savings matching

Cons

Online-order uniforms. Seriously. None of the clothes fit any real life human being and they fade and stretch after just a couple of wears, however new ones are only provided twice a year.
    Upper Management is very clique-y, which means that if you ever have a problem with a supervisor, good luck getting it up to HR.
    Very stiff, strict policies, which sound great on paper, but in day-to-day life can be extremely aggravating to the people who have to live with them (residents) and the people who have to enforce them (ground employees).
    Everything is extremely old-fashioned. Paper documents for literally everything, no social media of any sort, no online lease signing, etc. All must be done in-person on-site and can be very tiring in a world of quickly-advancing technology.
    Corporate staff is not very friendly; if you ever have an issue and need help from the corporate office, you will be treated as though you are unintelligent if you don't understand the first explanation of something, and will possibly be yelled at by someone you have never even met before.
    The chain of command is long and practically indecipherable. If a resident wants to talk to "someone from corporate," good luck figuring out who they should be put in contact with (not to mention that corporate will come down on you pretty hard if a resident goes over your head to contact a random person in the corporate office since they can't get any straight answers).
    The healthcare packages offered to full time employees are through Aetna, who has expensive rates and large copays. They don't cover much and the network is small.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Update your computers. Do away with the old people clothes. Get a Facebook. Waive a late fee. Get better health care.