Shift Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Steve St. Andre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are many awesome perks for working here, like 3 catered lunches a week, fun events, and a paid for gym membership at Powerhouse (in 15 reviews)

• There is a really good work/life balance that allows you to become comfortable with your co-workers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's an entry-level glorified support/call center (in 4 reviews)

• No 401K matching but other perks make up for that (in 4 reviews)

1. "Blessed to work at Shift!"

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly love working at Shift Digital. I have been blessed with managers who encourage me to reach my full potential everyday.

I always feel like the company is being honest with me. In turn, that gives employees security in knowing that upper management cares about each employee. It's obvious that Shift Digital cares about their employees based on the INCREDIBLE benefits. I am so appreciative that we have so many benefits as employees.

Finally, despite the rate of growth of the company, I honestly feel like the employees in the office are very close knit. I spend time with my peers outside of work and it makes the office atmosphere very open and enjoyable. I can't imagine wanting to work anywhere else.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Thank you for caring for your employees and leading by example!

"Continuing on the Short Slope to the Bottom"

Former Employee - Field Consultant
    Former Employee - Field Consultant

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule freedom for family events.

Cons

"digital consultants" are basically a group of fresh out of college kids in a call center. Half of them are unskilled, under trained, and have a lack of work ethic. LOTS of turnover, and clients get understandably upset when one consultant is "promoted" to another brand program. Most are very unprofessional. The field staff spends half of their time apologizing for turnover, and dealer request response times.

Advice to Management

These employees need a real manager, not one of their peers. They need someone who will oversee their production and ensure dealers are responded to in a timely manner. Management probably wont like hearing this, but it might save them from losing an account.

"Support based role"

Former Employee - Digital Strategy Consultant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Digital Strategy Consultant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits, free parking, casual and friendly atmosphere (for the most part), catered lunches, snacks and refreshments, 3 weeks vacation.

Cons

Low/non-competitive salaries, slim chance for career advancement, terrible team management, no 401k plan, company identity and culture needs to be revamped.

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus on empowering and training their teams rather than barking orders and making up their own rules. Do better. Much better.

"Went from the best job to the worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time

Pros

- There are great team outings
    - A lot of coworkers are friends outside of work
    - Their benefits are pretty good especially compared to other companies
    - HQ is located in a great city that makes summers enjoyable since there are a lot of place to grab lunch outside
    - The work/life balance was good

Cons

- They began to hire straight of college employees that lacked the proper skill set to keep the programs a float
    - Management is extremely inexperienced and HR refuses to acknowledge it
    - There are a lot of cliques within the company but that started once they started to hire employees that have not held a job in the past..
    - There was lack of training for large changes in the programs which often made a lot of employees extremely frustrated
    - Often got pulled into projects outside of your department because they needed help which pulled away from the quality of work you were providing on your own day to day duties
    - There definitely is NO career advancement - HUGE TURNOVER

5. "good place"

I worked at Shift Digital full-time

Pros

good job, lots of travel

Cons

mission deliverables, direction could be better

Advice to Management

talk to employees more

"Great People"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company rewards hard work. There is autonomy to do what you need to get your projects accomplished and support (education and management) to help guide you. Lots of growth potential!

Cons

Only con is that the HQ office is split into two spaces (only about a 10 min walk) but it would be nice to have everyone together.

"Was Great but needs a serious wake up call"

Current Employee - Website Assistant in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Website Assistant in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of your teammates are really nice, talented and more than willing to help you. People are hard workers and very kind. Good benefits

Cons

Leadership
    • Middle management is a joke: leading does not = more meetings or squad ups or shopping online during work hours. Lead by example. Make leadership workshops mandatory for management especially when, for many of them, this is their first job and a 22 year old has lots to learn.
    • “Scare tactics” (verbatim from a lead) are now being employed regularly. “Scare tactics” are never an appropriate solution in business. It creates a toxic environment.
    • Management will blame employees and site a lack of respect for them when things are not going well. We don’t lack respect for management, but we have nonexistent leadership. Give us someone to get behind and who is present and supportive!
    • Middle management may be getting heat from their higher ups, but that is no excuse for them to react by blaming the website assistants for everything. That reaction has not been working for months. It is a reaction, not a solution. It’s time to take a step back, use some innovative thinking, recognize the REAL problems and create solutions, instead of a toxic environment.

Favoritism
    • It’s highly noticeable after a while and can feel worse than high school
    • Employees are not held to the same standard. This applies to many things, not just audits (which are flawed); one employee may be punished for something while another employee may never get caught for the same offense or just skates by. Good team members have been let go while questionable ones remain.

Comfort
    • We are encouraged to talk to a manager or to employee relations about issues, but employee relations feels cliquey and, as the company is so small, they may be friends with the person you bring up. Going to either, you feel judged and what you say can be used against you later. Managers are also too busy to really help you and nothing is ever their fault, they turn it around to guilt you
    • Employees feel they are always being watched and are constantly told that we do not care and this is simply not true, we care and take a lot of pride in our work
    • Management, even some of the execs, will poo poo employee concerns by bringing up “the good old days” and laugh at "how easy the WAs have it now". Don't belittle or laugh at your employees. (example) I’m sure your 60 dealers compared to my 40 were tough, but it doesn’t make the current situation less stressful, right or EFFICIENT.

Advice to Management

Take a look at what your competition is doing. Instead of blaming your workers, get real and notice that your competition wizened up and is offering your customers the same work for “free”, that’s why they’re cancelling. Stop trying to guilt trip us by reminding us how great the benefits are and how thankful we should feel to you, it gets old real fast. Also, if you feel like something is going on with the employees, take a look at management. In this case, your team leads. That’s taught in Business 101. We employees do care, but there is absolutely no leadership.

8. "Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Laguna Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Laguna Beach, CA

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is ever growing in the automotive and digital industry. Beyond automotive, Shift Digital is now experimenting with obtaining clients in other industries (housing, financial, etc.)
    Laguna Beach office may not have the huge HQ perks like 2x's weekly catered lunch and work events/local discounts, but the Laguna Beach office has the "work fambam" environment that I personally love.

We get:
    -Catered lunches on Mondays and maybe more days if clients come into the office.
    -Bring your dog to work Fridays
    -Laidback environment
    -Beach chairs for when we want to work on the beach (which is maybe...50 steps away
    -Opportunities to cross-train

Cons

Disconnect between Laguna Beach office and HQ. We sometimes forget that most of the execs and decision makers all live in MI.
    Pay is the same between HQ employees and California employees....they don't take into account the cost of living between each location.

Advice to Management

N/A

"One star company"

I worked at Shift Digital full-time

Pros

Great location downtown, Free food a couple days a week

Cons

The company tells their employees to write good reviews about them. You do not move anywhere in the company and the pay is a joke. I am not one to complain and this is my first time ever adding a negative review about a company I worked for. I just want viewers to know that you can not listen to every "great" thing you read about this company. If you are looking for a solid career, this is not the place.

Advice to Management

If you need to TELL your employees to write good reviews, you're doing something wrong.

10. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AWESOME company to work for! By far the best company I've ever worked for. They have a great, laid back culture that keeps employees at ease and makes them feel comfortable. They provide lunch several days a week and drinks and snacks are available for employees all the time. Their benefits package is awesome as well. I always feel like I can take care of my medical needs without worrying about being charged a large sum.

Cons

I really can't think of anything off the top of my head. I've been very happy there for the past (almost) 2 years.