Shift Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Steve St. Andre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They offer amazing benefits: health insurance, gym membership, lunches/snacks, and great events" (in 20 reviews)

• "The benefits are great, pay is decent, and work-life balance is overall pretty good" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "entry level positions in this field" (in 4 reviews)

• "No 401K matching but other perks make up for that" (in 4 reviews)

"Digital Consultant"

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional and fun working environment. The people in the home office are happy to help. Good relationship with the OEM. No micromanagement and good processes/systems to ensure proper communications with the OEM and dealers.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to attract and retain qualified people.

2. "Employee Focused"

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They care about an take of their employees. They make sure if a client is lost that people are found new jobs within the company.

Cons

The top management does not want to promote field personal to unless they move to corp. headquarters.

"Digital Advisor"

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great environment and management cares about the success of their team.

Cons

Being a field employee can make it hard to feel connected to the home office.

4. "Don't be fooled by the perks."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Food & booze provided most days.

Cons

This was the closest thing to being in high school that I've felt in more than 10 years. Basically, if you aren't close friends with an executive/higher-up (or sleeping with them), you aren't going to get anywhere. The level of childish drama in this place is ridiculous. Don't be fooled by the 'culture', avoid at all possible cost.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the way the last few years have gone, and take some responsibility.

"Dream Job"

Current Employee - RDC in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - RDC in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Such a great company. The upper level execs are so down to earth. Benefits and time off are unbelievable. Great work life balance. Amazing culture.

Cons

Pay every 2 weeks

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees! It shows.

"Digital Consultant"

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and great sense of community company wide.

Cons

Don't have any at this time.

"Pride and Value"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company makes employees feel valued for the work being done. Encourages employees to grow their career and openly communicate with Management at the highest level. Honest company, quality work, great people- Employees truly feel proud to work at Shift Digital.

Cons

I cannot think of any

"Awesome Company for Motivated Professionals!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that on a Wednesday I get an email at 11:45 to come eat Tacos in the kitchen or outside patio is fabulous! Or how about any day of the week I can run to the gym and take a class on my lunch break? Or attend other fun event with my teams or the entire company on our CEO’s dime, because he loves the culture it brings! I think sometimes people take for granted how awesome it is to work for a company like this! The hard workers that actually care about the success of our company (the reason I have a job) are motivated to raise their hand for new assignments and take on additional work. Feedback (good or bad) is always welcomed by the executives! Heck, the executives encourage the younger employees to reach out to them for a coffee or lunch and openly ask for feedback on how things are going and what changes can be made! Oh and our CEO hosts quarterly meetings educating everyone on the health of the business, new business in the pipeline and anything else about the company..... HE DOES NOT HAVE TO DO THIS! The transparency is awesome!!!

The work is fun and exciting! You are put in a position to make your individual clients (dealer or OEM) successful and to help them grow. With so many new clients coming on there is so much work to be done... all you have to do is ask if an executive or director needs help. Gosh, people are on IM so much with their friends, why not IM an exec and ask if you can help them with something! Even the smallest tasks (although can be tedious) are crucial to the clients success. Always changing, always new stuff to learn... if you work hard and try to learn and grow, you will be so successful at Shift.

Cons

Not a good place for people who aren’t motivated to learn or help grow the company or that wants promotions handed to them.

Advice to Management

More time at Poppleton or with dealer support would be great for the teams. Invest in the people that work hard, know the business, LOVE shift and you want to keep around!

"Digital Strategy Associate"

Former Employee - Digital Strategy Associate in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Digital Strategy Associate in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shift Digital is a company with great benefits (Health, catered meals, sports) but it's led by a lot of unqualified team leads. Promotion is based more often then not on who you know and not what you know. When starting, being put on a good team is the best thing that can happen to you because some team leads lead by example and others just try to get by. Cross your fingers you get selected for a dedicated role because general support roles aren't the best and contain mostly busy work and being a glorified call center with changing hours (8:30-5:30. 9:00-6:00, 10:00-7:00, 11:00-8:00). You get very little time with the account team and when you do get time, it's to give you more busy work that the account team doesn't want to do. Shift is an okay 1 year company to learn some automotive but you should consider different options before settling. It's okay to move on because team leads like to remind you that your position is easily replaceable. Last, try to sit at HQ because I only had the opportunity to sit at Poppleton and it was very similar to a high-school environment (Cliques, drama, eavesdropping, and he said/she said).

Cons

Noted above. Shift should consider bringing in outside management to monitor their teams and to grow their current leads. Most are unqualified and lack leadership skills. Also, some like to micro-manage and this prevents growth and trust.

Advice to Management

Management should consider removing some of the perks and raising the salary for employees. I've heard from multiple teams in Poppleton that they would prefer a higher wage over catered meals. Employees will make more working for a provider/different company. Also, compensation reviews should be held your first six months or first year into the company. Not one month out of every year. This ruins the opportunity for employees who start the beginning of the year to be eligible for compensation reviews and at times push these conversations over 1 1/2 years later. Also, team leads should hold off on saying that OEMs are paying for 4-6 heads but we are only including 3 for this account. If this is the case, why not raise the salary for the 3 on the account who are doing the estimated 6 heads of work.

"Apply somewhere else!"

Former Employee - Website Assistant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Website Assistant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the time I was there, there were free lunches and good healthcare provided. The teams were smaller but things took a turn as it got bigger.

Cons

They are not as great as maybe they once were. Many of the "managers" are young who are new to the industry and do not have any management or leadership experience. The employees are more like guinea pigs we were given a lot of useless monotonous work that wasn't really effective for clients behalf, it was mostly just completed to hit metrics. The work is completely subjective and yet you're measured on your ability to create "good looking" car ads. There isn't much room for growth and if you try and apply you won't be encouraged if you are not liked and rather told that you are not good enough and to try again once you "raise your hand" more even if you may be a better fit on a different team and may be more successful on a different team. The only way you can really move up is if you are well admired by the higher ups because of appearance and who you are friends with.

Everyone that had the same job title was paid differently based on "experience". No one was allowed to speak about it. The person next to me could be doing the same job and have less of a workload and could have gotten paid twice more.

Advice to Management

Hire actual leaders with real life experience and don't watch everyone like a hawk and trust your work.