Shift Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Steve St. Andre

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They offer amazing benefits: health insurance, gym membership, lunches/snacks, and great events" (in 20 reviews)

• "The benefits are great, pay is decent, and work-life balance is overall pretty good" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "entry level positions in this field" (in 4 reviews)

• "No 401K matching but other perks make up for that" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Pride and Value"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company makes employees feel valued for the work being done. Encourages employees to grow their career and openly communicate with Management at the highest level. Honest company, quality work, great people- Employees truly feel proud to work at Shift Digital.

Cons

I cannot think of any

2. "Awesome Company for Motivated Professionals!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that on a Wednesday I get an email at 11:45 to come eat Tacos in the kitchen or outside patio is fabulous! Or how about any day of the week I can run to the gym and take a class on my lunch break? Or attend other fun event with my teams or the entire company on our CEO’s dime, because he loves the culture it brings! I think sometimes people take for granted how awesome it is to work for a company like this! The hard workers that actually care about the success of our company (the reason I have a job) are motivated to raise their hand for new assignments and take on additional work. Feedback (good or bad) is always welcomed by the executives! Heck, the executives encourage the younger employees to reach out to them for a coffee or lunch and openly ask for feedback on how things are going and what changes can be made! Oh and our CEO hosts quarterly meetings educating everyone on the health of the business, new business in the pipeline and anything else about the company..... HE DOES NOT HAVE TO DO THIS! The transparency is awesome!!!

The work is fun and exciting! You are put in a position to make your individual clients (dealer or OEM) successful and to help them grow. With so many new clients coming on there is so much work to be done... all you have to do is ask if an executive or director needs help. Gosh, people are on IM so much with their friends, why not IM an exec and ask if you can help them with something! Even the smallest tasks (although can be tedious) are crucial to the clients success. Always changing, always new stuff to learn... if you work hard and try to learn and grow, you will be so successful at Shift.

Cons

Not a good place for people who aren’t motivated to learn or help grow the company or that wants promotions handed to them.

Advice to Management

More time at Poppleton or with dealer support would be great for the teams. Invest in the people that work hard, know the business, LOVE shift and you want to keep around!

"Digital Strategy Associate"

Former Employee - Digital Strategy Associate in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Digital Strategy Associate in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shift Digital is a company with great benefits (Health, catered meals, sports) but it's led by a lot of unqualified team leads. Promotion is based more often then not on who you know and not what you know. When starting, being put on a good team is the best thing that can happen to you because some team leads lead by example and others just try to get by. Cross your fingers you get selected for a dedicated role because general support roles aren't the best and contain mostly busy work and being a glorified call center with changing hours (8:30-5:30. 9:00-6:00, 10:00-7:00, 11:00-8:00). You get very little time with the account team and when you do get time, it's to give you more busy work that the account team doesn't want to do. Shift is an okay 1 year company to learn some automotive but you should consider different options before settling. It's okay to move on because team leads like to remind you that your position is easily replaceable. Last, try to sit at HQ because I only had the opportunity to sit at Poppleton and it was very similar to a high-school environment (Cliques, drama, eavesdropping, and he said/she said).

Cons

Noted above. Shift should consider bringing in outside management to monitor their teams and to grow their current leads. Most are unqualified and lack leadership skills. Also, some like to micro-manage and this prevents growth and trust.

Advice to Management

Management should consider removing some of the perks and raising the salary for employees. I've heard from multiple teams in Poppleton that they would prefer a higher wage over catered meals. Employees will make more working for a provider/different company. Also, compensation reviews should be held your first six months or first year into the company. Not one month out of every year. This ruins the opportunity for employees who start the beginning of the year to be eligible for compensation reviews and at times push these conversations over 1 1/2 years later. Also, team leads should hold off on saying that OEMs are paying for 4-6 heads but we are only including 3 for this account. If this is the case, why not raise the salary for the 3 on the account who are doing the estimated 6 heads of work.

"Apply somewhere else!"

Former Employee - Website Assistant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Website Assistant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the time I was there, there were free lunches and good healthcare provided. The teams were smaller but things took a turn as it got bigger.

Cons

They are not as great as maybe they once were. Many of the "managers" are young who are new to the industry and do not have any management or leadership experience. The employees are more like guinea pigs we were given a lot of useless monotonous work that wasn't really effective for clients behalf, it was mostly just completed to hit metrics. The work is completely subjective and yet you're measured on your ability to create "good looking" car ads. There isn't much room for growth and if you try and apply you won't be encouraged if you are not liked and rather told that you are not good enough and to try again once you "raise your hand" more even if you may be a better fit on a different team and may be more successful on a different team. The only way you can really move up is if you are well admired by the higher ups because of appearance and who you are friends with.

Everyone that had the same job title was paid differently based on "experience". No one was allowed to speak about it. The person next to me could be doing the same job and have less of a workload and could have gotten paid twice more.

Advice to Management

Hire actual leaders with real life experience and don't watch everyone like a hawk and trust your work.

"If you want job INsecurity this is the place!"

Former Employee - Field Consultant
    Former Employee - Field Consultant

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to get your job done! They hired you to do a job and know that you are an expert in that field so they just tell you "OK, Go do what you do"

Cons

"Go do what you do" is a Con because you do something you think is correct AND get results out of it, BAM you get called out for doing it for not doing it a certain way! ZERO Leadership, ZERO "Expectations", ZERO Communication between the team and Management unless it's on a weekly team call. OH and if you want a position that you don't know if you will have a job in the coming months (not based on performance) but contracts, this is a place for you!
    YOU WILL BE TRAVELING 4 - 5 days a week even though they say "30% Travel" - if you have kids, forget it!

Advice to Management

Do I have to say something to Management? Why, it never gets "heard"

"Opportunities For Those Who Strive For It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shift Digital is a company where you can do as little or as much as you make of it... My experience at Shift has been great, but the experiences definitely differ by the person. My review will be broken into a few parts that I think will help describe work at Shift.

Benefits:
    Shift cares about how you go about your time at work. The kitchen's always have assortments of unlimited snacks and beverages that is free to employees, breakfasts and/or lunches are catered in 2-3 times a week, and you get a complimentary gym membership with the understandable condition you use it 4 times a month. While businesses are now started to adopt the above perks, not many realistically do - Shift has been for the years I have been there.

Amazing Healthcare coverage is available. Healthcare costs have been been crushing many company benefits the past 5 years and Shift has felt that. Recently they've had employees kick in 10% or so if the employee opts for Premium coverage, which is still really good. Employees that don't want to contribute still can get coverage free of charge (just with higher deductible).

Culture:
    The culture is definitely varying depending on the team (and even building) you end up in. Each team has different responsibilities, hours, and leaders - so naturally different experiences exist. Shift puts the power in their managers and team leaders to nurture their team as they see fit - some teams do "Team Outings" at least once a month, where others might only do something big quarterly, but have multiple lunches or coffee runs. It can be a bit "cliquey" at times, but if you actually care about doing your work and doing your work well, you really don't pay any attention to it.

Work/Opportunity:
    I learned in my career that you only get out what you put in. If you are looking for a place where you can come in, do your job, and leave - you can do that here. If you are looking for a place where you can move up in the company and seize opportunities, you can do that do. If you are looking for a place where you can seize those opportunities by ONLY doing your job - this isn't it. Shift is definitely a "do the role before you have the role" kind of company. If you are serious about your career, willing to put in effort, and learn things on your own outside of your work day, you will do amazing here.

Overall:
    Definitely the best place I have worked at. Opportunities are endless for those who strive for them, you're treated well when you are at the office, and the benefits are great.

Cons

As mentioned under "Culture", each team is different... your experience at Shift really does depend on where you end up. This is recognized within the company and is being solved with various tactics.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to empower your managers. Continue to treat your employees right. It'll go a long way.

7. "Great Automotive Consulting Company"

Current Employee - Digital Field Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Digital Field Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and working from home is the best

Cons

Management needs more in dealer experience and less micromanaging

8. "Amazing people, great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-flexible and open to new ideas
    -ability to move around to new positions in the company
    -fun young atmosphere with lots of fun events

Cons

i can't think of any cons

"Stay far far away"

Current Employee - Digital Strategy Consultant in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Digital Strategy Consultant in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first got hired at Shift, I’ve never been more excited to start a job. It seemed like a very relaxed atmosphere, with a cool group of people, and a lot of great perks. Your experience will be EXTREMELY dependent on the team you are placed on. The perks eventually dwindle and you realize that because of these perks (snacks in the kitchen, and lunches occasionally) your yearly bonus (if you are “bonus eligible”, which changes on a flip of a dime) becomes minuscule.

Cons

With that being said, you have a 90% chance to get stuck on a team that is essentially a call center, ran by two young twenty somethings. One of which is never in the office, and when she is she can be found shopping at her desk while all the teams she oversees are drowning with work. All of her friends and people consistently telling her she’s a “blessing” to the team, are the people bumped up into higher positions, while the value of hard work goes out the window (ironically enough, most of the people have since been demoted or “stepped down”from these positions they were once promoted to). Within the past year, the dealer support/call center turnover rate has been astronomical, and the teams have lost some quality employees due to one individual who is extremely unprofessional, rude, and possibly the most unfit individual to be “overseeing” (I use that term loosely) 25 people. Teams have witnessed her talking about employee reviews with other people, disclosing employee compensations, and berating people in front of the entire team. From what I’ve heard, this was not always a problem when the team was lead by a different employee at Shift. While this has been brought up to HR and upper management, nothing seems to have changed. Most of the people on the teams ends up quitting rather than moving to another team because those positions are so rare. Good luck.

What they don’t tell you at your initial interview is that you could be put on a team where you sporadically have to work 11 to 8pm, all holidays other than Christmas and Thanksgiving are considered flex days (meaning you will either get the holiday off or the day after/before), and you are on a very strict schedule, most of the time it’s highly looked down upon to take over an hour lunch (unless you’re put on a website assistant team, their schedule is a little more relaxed). The pay is okay for someone right out of college, put in your year and then get out.

Advice to Management

Listen to the individuals in dealer support, you know the root of the real problem.

"No complaints"

Current Employee - Field Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Field Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a digital consultant can be a very rewarding job! Building relationships with dealers and OEM partners to find ways to improve digital presence and process and seeing positive results is great. The company has delivered everything promised to me over the 2.5 years I’ve been with them. Great health insurance and PTO packages.

Cons

As others have mentioned being a field consultant does require travel. It is part of the job that cannot be avoided. Luckily shift recognizes the importance of a work life balance and is generous with PTO and holidays. They also have a very easy to follow expense guidelines and provide a company Amex. Shift works with many OEM partners and have complex contracts with them. It is possible that contracts could become terminated at the end, but that’s really the case with any company in the same space.

Advice to Management

Keep improving communication and training on the ever evolving automotive digital space so that shift and its employees remain a great asset to its clients!