Shift Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve St. Andre

Pros
  • There are many awesome perks for working here, like 3 catered lunches a week, fun events, and a paid for gym membership at Powerhouse (in 15 reviews)

• There is a really good work/life balance that allows you to become comfortable with your co-workers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons currently to review about (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management makes it clear that they do play favorites and you can tell who they are (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Digital Consultant
    Current Employee - Digital Consultant

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! The experience from day one has been amazing! The employee relations team is on top of making the hiring/on-boarding process comfortable and easy. The work environment and culture is top-notch - no other company I was looking at prior to being hired was comparable. Benefits are way above industry standard and the entire management team has the employees best interest at heart. If you're looking for a fast-paced, fun place to work with plenty of growth opportunity, Shift is it!

Cons

No cons currently to review about!

Advice to Management

N/A

Feb 20, 2017 – Internal Operations

Thanks for your feedback! We take onboarding and training very seriously as these experiences set the stage for our team’s future success, which is why we continually re-vamp and improve our ... More

"Started good gone down hill some"

Current Employee - Digital Strategy Consultant
    Current Employee - Digital Strategy Consultant

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started off as a pretty cool company to work for however the last few years have been disappointing. I'm a field consultant for them and we do not get the cool perks that the office folks do. They have a gym, free food, parties and other amenities that the field folks don't have. They do have a good health insurance plan. Miss the way things were a few years ago when the company was a bit smaller and more focused on retaining good employees.

Cons

Rumors that the company is being sold seem to have some truth to them since they have tightened up on almost everything. Year end bonuses have gone down the last three years as their profits have improved. Salary has been frozen the last 2 years while company has been making more money. They told us that the free health insurance is a great perk but now we have to pay some for it in each paycheck. No 401k match. Not a lot of training for field people we are just kind of thrown out there to figure it out. Salary is not terrible but it is below market value for the amount of travel required and dealing with some difficult clients. Upper management seems to not be engaged like they once were.

Advice to Management

Work on keeping field people feeling like they are part of the company. Need better training to keep up to date in digital trends. Be open with what's going on since pay and perks have gone down the last few years.

Feb 20, 2017 – Internal Operations

Providing a great work environment is something that is very important to us and, because of this, Shift provides the top tier of benefits that can be offered by any employer. However, with the cost ... More

"At Shift, you determine your workload and how hard you want to work"

Current Employee - Digital Consultant in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Digital Consultant in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upbeat driven atmosphere with hard working young professionals with vast backgrounds. Able to have a vast variety of work and no two days are the same. Fast growing company.

Cons

The location of the offices can make it hard for parking for some individuals but that comes with working in such a great, walkable city

Advice to Management

N/A

5. "Awesome Culture and Technology"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Shift Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Shift Digital is like being a kid in a candy store with a group of your best buddies. All of the latest technology is at your fingertips, everyone is cool and all egos are to be checked at the door. Everyone wants to learn from each other and have a blast doing it. The head of the programming department is quite intelligent and eager to invest in your future, as is the rest of your team and the company, all the way up to the CEO. Plus training, movie events and a lot of other perks makes this place great. The only reason is to pursue a long awaited opportunity, otherwise I would never have left.

Cons

Nothing really. I wish parking was a little closer during the cold weather, but the furthest lot is only about 10 minutes away if you are walking slow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

6. "Quality Employer"

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Shift Digital has been overwhelmingly positive. The company spends a lot of time focusing on Quality in all areas -- the people they hire, the service they provide, the events they host, and the benefits they offer. Additionally, leadership makes an effort to be as engaging and transparent as possible with each and every team. There are many opportunities to speak directly with our Executive team, learn from the pros, and voice your thoughts/opinions to the decision makers. Shift is an Employer who genuinely cares about the people, and that goes a long way at the end of the day.

Cons

There are no glaring downsides or cons to working for Shift Digital. No company is perfect, but Shift truly makes every effort.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Continue to make your people as important as your clients... you are only as strong as they are!

Feb 20, 2017 – Internal Operations

Great feedback! We do place a huge emphasis on quality of people that we hire, our customer service to our clients and constantly improving our internal processes. As the company grows, we will ... More

7. "Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Laguna Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Laguna Beach, CA

I have been working at Shift Digital (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful working environment that Shift has developed. I truly feel a sense of community from my work place in addition to learning and growing in the digital space. We are able to have visibility into several verticals of the industry. Keeps the day to day exciting!

Cons

I don't have any to provide at this time.

Advice to Management

Thank you for having your employee's best interest in mind alongside the client's!

8. "Couldn't ask for a better place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is hands-down the best place I have ever worked by a long shot. Many companies boast about perks and a fun atmosphere with buzz phrases like “work/life balance” then either (a) frown upon it when you use them, or (b) expect you to essentially live at work. It is quite the opposite at Shift and they encourage employees to take advantage of the benefits that come along with being part of the team. The executive team is transparent and incredibly approachable. The benefits and atmosphere combined with all of the intangibles make Shift something of a unicorn in this day and age and I feel privileged to work here every day.

As far as being a software developer at Shift goes:

- We get to solve really interesting problems with the latest and greatest technologies and are continually upgrading our tooling
    - There is no monopoly on good ideas, everyone is encouraged to make suggestions and they’re genuinely discussed/considered/implemented
    - The dev manager is the most technically apt employee in the whole company and takes time to teach and mentor on both a technical and professional level
    - Company-provided MSDN & Pluralsight subscriptions
    - YOU ARE SET UP TO SUCCEED here, on-the-clock non-domain-specific training upfront is provided to ensure that everyone is working with a similar baseline which is helpful because we work with so many different technologies (Azure, Angular, .Net, MongoDB, SQL Server, R, and anything else there is a practical reason for using)
    - We do what makes sense - there aren’t any ultimatums or anything keeping us from making better decisions whether that is operationally or from a technical perspective
    - The platforms and products are continuously being pushed forward and made better (for instance, as the definition of “modern” changes we update our styling. As our data grows we implement new data strategies to keep up with the demand for insight into that data)
    - While all the developers are incredibly well-rounded, if you prefer to work in a specific area (e.g. data science & machine learning, backend/API, front end/UI, etc) there is a project for you.
    - The team is an amazing and sharp group of people, all easy to get along with, friendly, and there are not any politics. Everyone has their strong suits and if nobody can answer a question you have, that is your opportunity to become the resident expert on the subject.
    - Expectations are more than reasonable. If you show up to work and are committed to doing a good job and putting your best foot forward, then you will be successful here.
    - Team-building/happy hour events during business hours - none of that “hey let’s do a bowling thing….Friday at 7pm - no families allowed” type of thing.
    - Great location, lots of options for lunch (if you choose not to take advantage of the catered lunches) and a beautiful community
    - The company continues to grow and become more health and stable
    - High investment in developers. Apart from the subscriptions mentioned above our hardware is incredible (best macbook pro’s, 27” monitors, fantastic chairs, etc.) and basically if there is something that will make it easier to do your job, there’s a good chance you’ll get it
    - Your opinion matters and the Executives genuinely want to keep everyone happy and satisfied with their jobs.
    - Very competitive compensation
    - Paternity leave
    - Very few meetings, if you are in a meeting then it is because it is relevant to you (not because you were put on some bulk invite)
    - The list goes on

Cons

- Core hours are 9-5 and for individuals with a longer commute it might be nice to have some flexibility to help out with traffic/picking up kids/etc.

Advice to Management

Honestly, keep up the good work.

Feb 20, 2017 – Internal Operations

Our delivery team is one of the fastest growing teams and we truly appreciate the feedback and honest opinions from members of this team. We are constantly striving to improve and continue to build ... More

9. "Great Place - They actually care about people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company continues to grow at an incredible pace, creating tons of new jobs and mostly internal promotions. The culture is amazing with tons of investment (almost too much) on parties, food, tickets, sports teams, education reimbursement, gym memberships, benefits, etc. CEO is totally approachable and honest, even sits in a cube next to everyone else. Best part is the client relationships. The company delivers great value and the clients love them for it.

Cons

The entry level jobs are not glamorous, but all employees are encouraged to work on additional projects and self development. If you want to advance you need to be motivated, there are tons of talented folks here

Advice to Management

Please don't sell! This company is a gem as is. It is very rare for a company with this many employees to have so little turnover. The honest communication from executives is greatly appreciated.

Oct 5, 2016 – Internal Operations

Thanks for the feedback! Employee development is a very large focus of the company, especially for our teams new to Shift. Since we are a company based around technology, continuous learning and ... More

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Shift Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Talented developers. Shift seeks out the best talent and it shows. The developers on this team are more capable than on any team I have ever been a part of before.
    • Challenging projects. The apps we write at Shift are serious business. They process millions of transactions a day and support users around the world. Our apps need to be designed to be scalable, always available, and fault tolerant. Working on challenging problems makes this job interesting and fun.
    • The latest technology. At Shift we stay current with the latest technology. Expect to use things like VS2015, .NET 4.6, Azure, Redis, DocumentDb, MongoDb, Service Bus, Azure Data Lake/USQL, Machine Learning, TypeScript,, and more.
    • No red tape. The organizational structure here is very flat. We report directly to the CTO, and once he gives the green light, we are good to go. 95% of our work time is spent writing code. Meetings are rare, and unlike in the corporate IT, we are never stalled waiting for infrastructure to be created. Everything is hosted in Azure, so spinning up the infrastructure required to build and deploy happens in minutes, not days.
    • A boss that has your back. I cannot say enough about how great it is to have a boss that is a developer and understands software development. He shields developers from the business side of things and is able to represent the developer perspective to other members of the management team.
    • Very healthy, rapidly growing company. Shift has more than doubled in size since I have been working here and shows no signs of slowing down.
    • Management that cares deeply about culture and wants Shift Digital to be a great place to work.
    • Frequent team outings – during the work day. We regularly do fun things as a team like going to the movies, having a happy hour, team lunches, etc.
    • Opportunity to attend conferences
    • All developers have a PluralSight subscription, giving unlimited access to online training courses.
    • Very competitive compensation
    • Incredible benefits including 100% company paid health care
    • Good work/life balance
    • Awesome developer setup. Brand new MacBook Pro, multiple monitors, noise cancelling headphones, custom mouse/keyboard, and a really great chair
    • Free snacks and drinks
    • Free gym membership
    • Free parking

Cons

• Aggressive delivery schedule. Shift moves fast, and developers are expected to produce results. The other members of the team will have your back and are willing to help, but you there is no flying under the radar here. You will be asked to build things at a much faster pace than is typical in a corporate IT environment.
    • Developers at Shift do not work remotely. We are expected to be in the office during regular work hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Shift is a great place to work.

Oct 5, 2016 – Internal Operations

Our delivery organization is one of the fastest growing areas of our business and we take pride in the talent that makes up this group. Providing top of the line technology, benefits, and company ... More

11. "Intern Review"

Current Employee - Intern in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Birmingham, MI

Pros

-Positive environment
    -Not treated like an Intern, given projects that make impact on company
    -Everybody was willing to give help/advice when needed
    -Seen many advancements within the company during short time here
    -Work hard play hard mentality (kickball/cornhole tournament, social events)

Cons

-Times where interns didn't have much to do

Advice to Management

-Plan more projects for the interns before they are hired, and give them when they have nothing to do.