Single Grain Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Eric Siu
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The company that will grow you in every way!"

I have been working at Single Grain full-time

Pros

Single Grain is a company with growth and learning at it's core. It's determined to grow both as a company and a collection of individuals. The current growth rate is very exciting and future outlook very promising. The culture is casual and relaxed but performance expectations are high. That's good for those who want to work with an "A team" without all the pressure and stress of a firm 'trying' to make it with a B-team.

Cons

Keeping pace will challenge you. If you are up for the challenge, it's great; but if you are looking for a cruisey job - this place isn't for you. This is for real career makers.

Advice to Management

Continue to be ruthless on culture fit and performance. There is a special sauce that is working right now and it's exciting to be part of.

2. "For A-Players and lifelong learners"

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Single Grain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been about 4 months since I've started with Single Grain but I already feel I've gotten the experience of 1 year.

First month was straight into the deep end with onboarding, projects, and learning through books/podcasts/blogs/etc. I did have some hiccups but the plentiful one on one's with upper management steered me in the right direction and let me know that everyone fumbles a little bit, at least in the beginning.

But the 6-week mark I hit my stride and really appreciated the processes that are set up for EVERYTHING.

Favorite things are flexibility (Downtown LA office is Mon-Wed on-site with Thurs/Fri work at home), continuous learning (if you want some resource to learn from...you'll get it, plus plenty of already acquired tools/resources), small team camaraderie, and ability to see personal impact in company and clients.

Cons

There were a few times during the first month when I thought onboarding was too fast paced.

Despite processes for everything, some end up being forgotten and not followed.

Advice to Management

Continue with one-on-one's...they really helped.

3. "Love the flexibility of the job"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Single Grain (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working with Single Grain for several years now and have always appreciated the flexibility of the job. I have a young family, so the ability to work from home and set my own schedule is invaluable. I also appreciate the trust and freedom I'm given to do my job with little management, yet I always feel supported when I need clarification on a project.

Cons

No cons for me. :-)

Advice to Management

n/a

4. "Company tried hard to maintain good culture but it's not working"

I worked at Single Grain full-time

Pros

As an agency, you get to be exposed to working for clients from varying industries and get more hands on experience on all aspects of a project.

Cons

Company/management focus a lot on employee's individual goals and reviews but employee don't seem to get the support from management to execute these goals. For example, our bonus was tied in heavily to the goals we have to achieve, however, our goals can't be related to our day to day work and we don't have additional hours to work on these goals making it hard to achieve these goals. Also, management will ask employees to submit weekly self-eval, but management don't execute any suggestions provided by employees. We don't see any improvements despite providing our feedback.

Advice to Management

Make goals more related to improving our main responsibilities, and make self-eval a quarterly thing rather than weekly.

5. "Digital Marketing at its Best"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Grain is a pioneer when it comes to being on the forefront of internet marketing. If you've ever wanted to work for a digital marketing agency, or have strong experience in the online marketing space, Single Grain is definitely for you.

I worked at Single Grain for over a year in a sales position having hardly any prior knowledge in the digital marketing sphere. What I found as I called around and generated interest jn Single Grain services, is that many other digital marketing agencies let their clients down when it comes to knowledge of the the most recent trends in digital marketing and/or they weren't tracking the ROI of their marketing campaigns diligently enough. Single Grain delivers all of the most advanced Internet Marketing treads with the back-end and data to support these campaigns. The company also hosts weekly learning sessions and you're required to get several online marketing certifications regardless of your title, all the more beneficial to your individual career development (not to mention, it looks good on the resume).

Speaking of trends (as I did above), the team at Single Grain is represented by some of the best in the Internet Marketing business. Rubbing elbows with high domain authority figures in the digital marketing sector is something that makes working at Single Grain very special, and I would think that anybody with a passion for the space would want to be part of this culture. Also, personal development is a BIG part of any employees time at Single Grain. Each quarter team member's are challenged to come up with 5 personal goals that are quantifiable in which to work towards accomplishing. At the end of each quarter these goals are reviewed and you're challenged to come up with 5 new ones. This was a blessing to my own professional career and will be towards yours.

In conclusion, I came into Single Grain not knowing what to expect, and left feeling personally satisfied from a career development POV. Definitely would recommend Single Grain to a friend!

Cons

The one con: working remotely. If you're not used to it, or feel like you'd be very unproductive working from home, than maybe this isn't the place for you. Otherwise, it's very hard to see any other downsides to working there.

Advice to Management

n/a

6. "Great opportunities for digital marketers with an awesome team of people"

Former Employee - Director of Paid Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Paid Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Single Grain was a lot of fun. The work was intellectually stimulating, the clients were all established brands, and if you prove yourself you're given absolute autonomy. Single Grain also has a highly effective remote culture, most employees are young & motivated, and it's a fun place to work with cool people.

Cons

If you need lots of hand holding this is probably not the agency you. On the flip side, if you're driven and motivated to learn new things and become better at what you do Single Grain is a great fit.

7. "Great place to grow professionally."

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Grain has helped me develop an in depth knowledge of all the different tactics and strategies within the digital marketing world. They are an agency that is big on “asking for forgiveness” rather than “asking for permission” so employees are empowered to take risks and innovate. My manager is great at providing critical feedback and is always available to talk or answer any questions that come up. The whole company gets a long very well and we’ve learned to work efficiently and effectively together as a distributed team. It’s a great company to work for if you want to take on responsibility right away and grow professionally.

Cons

Working remotely is not for everyone. You need to be self motivated and highly organized to stay on top of multiple projects and deadlines. The pay could be better for the amount of work you are expected to do.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of team member’s time. There are some tasks that do not pertain directly to Single Grain or our clients that involve a lot of time and effort. It’s frustrating to work on a project that isn’t providing direct value to our company.

8. "Exciting, frustrating, and everything in between."

I have been working at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Grain has a good reputation and client base for marketers who haven't really hit their stride or picked up a lot of momentum in their careers. There's always an opportunity to learn more and an expectation for every employee to continuously improve. We're always testing new strategies and tactics and we're always adapting so you'll never get bored.

Cons

Single Grain likes to maintain a level of flexibility so employees learn to adapt quickly. This isn't an environment for someone who likes to do "their job" from 9-5 and call it good and it can be a stressful environment for anyone who has a hard time with change.

Advice to Management

Slow down and put more effort into employee development and retention.

"Should have been paid"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Single Grain as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Single Grain has a laid back, friendly professional environment. My boss was great to work with. Many work from home, so hours are very flexible.

Cons

The work I did was actual work, and yet the internship was unpaid. SG may not be a massive firm with millions in profits, but it isn't a nonprofit, and if they can't afford to pay interns for doing a serious amount of their work, then they shouldn't offer internships.

Advice to Management

Either pay your interns or eliminate them. The "learning opportunities" are not nearly valuable enough to warrant contributing three months of work to your company for free.

10. "Great learning & growth"

Current Employee - Content Writer
    Current Employee - Content Writer

I have been working at Single Grain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great culture around learning and personal growth.
    - Things are super efficient, no time-wasting meetings
    - Ability to work remotely is a massive plus

Cons

Some operations / processes are still being ironed out, but that's common with early stage companies