Spencer Stuart Reviews

3.9
Spencer Stuart CEO Ben Williams
Ben Williams
Pros
Cons
  • "can be demanding on work-life balance(in 25 reviews)

• "Lots of projects and clients which creates a high degree of urgency and can be long hours(in 12 reviews)

1. "Strong Values, Interesting Work"

5.0

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than a year

Pros

#1 brand in the industry helps open doors. Extremely collaborative environment -- incentives that encourage partnering

Cons

The work, however interesting, never ends! Slow to change

"Depends on who you know and where you are"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture combines results focus with friendly collaboration on the Search side. Strong value around transparency; relatively easy to track personal results. Strong learning focus on the Leadership Advisory Services side staff. Gets feedback from clients.

Cons

Too many decisions based on friendships rather than objective measures; dysfunctional senior people protected (even at the cost of losing more junior people), either because of their friends, or because people don't like giving negative feedback, or both. Some bad behavior tolerated from good revenue generators, but truly negative behavior is usually punished. Like most professional service firms, mediocre leadership at best at most levels. Leadership Advisory Services has extremely bureaucratic leadership (with significant gender bias as well, which I can see even though I am not female), and the very top has alienated many of the most capable staff, who either retreat into client work or leave. Because the consulting staff and associates are working very hard and producing good monetary results, it masks the highly dysfunctional and incompetent leadership decisions being made.

3. "Good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Global Meetings & Events Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

Good, friendly people who are helpful.

Cons

Sometimes long and irregular hours but this is due to the nature of the job.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Analyst Intern

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good culture, strong community, work-life balance

Cons

Unclear development opportunities, some firm politics

5. "Excellent Company; Stellar Reputation"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fulfilling work working with some of the biggest F500 companies and private equity firms. Great culture that rewards hard work.

Cons

The corporate side and the client facing side can feel somewhat divorced at times but they are working on it.

"A Great Place to Work and Learn from Top Talent"

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Commitment to quality of work is embedded in the culture. Clients are provided an opportunity to rate each engagement in multiple categories. Candidates are also allowed to rate their experience. The outcomes are extraordinary and industries/sectors are shaped by our placements and leadership advisory services. It deals with the most important assets of companies which is clearly their talent and leadership.

Cons

The job as a consultant can be very demanding. Lots of projects and clients which creates a high degree of urgency and can be long hours. Life/work balance may dictate that you're going to trade-off certain things at times. It can be accomplished, but it can be hard on this line of business.

Continue reading
  7. "A career more than a job"

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smart and team oriented people who are genuinely dedicated and who are largely driven by the same motivations in pleasing our clients. We have the good fortune of having a great brand in the market so we are blessed to be able to work at the top with some of the best companies in the world. Over the last few years, it has been gratifying to see how the next generation of people have joined the firm at entry levels and with dedication and professionalism, they are being rewarded as the are continually getting promoted. I believe this will bolster our future years in a big way.

Cons

Serving clients is sometimes hard so clearly too many of us sometimes get out of whack on work/life balance. That said, I love this place and my colleagues.

Continue reading
  8. "Incredible opportunity to make an impact"

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with smart, motivated people. Interact with some of the top companies across industry, while helping them solve complex issues. Opportunity to rise up in the organization over time. Snacks galore, great office space, friendly people.

Cons

The work can be intense, as we are working with the highest levels of F1000 companies. Collaboration can be difficult internally, but easier when you are proactive in reaching out to colleagues. Don't expect to be coddled. The Chicago office was once fairly formal....that has improved vastly.

Continue reading
  9. "Finest human capital advisory firm"

Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exceptional people, positive culture, world class leadership and advanced technology combine to create an extraordinary working environment.

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning that isn’t being addressed.

10. "Making an impact"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Committed and talented colleagues Interesting client work

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge

Found 242 reviews