Spencer Stuart Reviews | Glassdoor

Spencer Stuart CEO Kevin M. Connelly
Kevin M. Connelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The (lack of) work-life balance is a constant challenge at the associate /senior associate level (in 16 reviews)

• Very political company set in their "old school" ways (in 9 reviews)

1. "Associate"

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

fast-paced, with great number of learning opportunities and collaborative coworkers who care about the quality of the service provided

Cons

long working hours, demanding schedules

Advice to Management

greater communication about strategy and purpose/mission

2. "Place to Work"

Pros

Modern office and decent pay

Cons

No room to advance.

3. "Executive Assistant"

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

Great benefits and compensation, lots of training.

Cons

Very corporate, very high expectations.

4. "Top firm with great future"

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues, teamwork and the collaborative culture

Cons

The work life balance is increasingly an issue.

Advice to Management

The firm's management team needs to impress upon the partnership to affect change in this area, otherwise we have a flight risk.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

This was a great company to work for. I hope with the new CFO - it still is as good.

Cons

Clicky sometimes. Consultants were demanding.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This was/is a great company.

6. "Executive Assistant"

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

Good health insurance for the family, profit sharing plan

Cons

Culture is not inclusive at all - did not used to be this way. EA's are actually project managers but don't get the recognition they deserve.

Advice to Management

Reward your hard working employees to retain them.

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, good and very hard working people and long tenure for most.

Spencer Stuart has been my work home for 12 years as of this month. The Executive Assistant job is Project Management-centric and is challenging, but rewarding. The Dallas Office is small, but the amount of hard work that we see generated on a daily basis makes it evident that everyone here wants success for this office and for the company.

Per a recent post calling out the Dallas office specifically, and even mentioning the Office Management...let me just say that I work directly for the Office Manager of the Dallas office, and we have a great relationship. I can clearly say that he has the very best interest of this office in mind on a daily basis. He has worked hard to make the office environment one of inclusion, of openness to new ideas and also to adding new perks to keep the employees here happy. He, along with our Admin Manager, are making this into an office I have never been more proud of to work for.

People get disgruntled...and it is very clear the recent post against Spencer Stuart's Dallas office was just that. We don't need that kind of negativity and would never allow that in our office, nor do we need that out in the world wide web because this is a great office to work in.

Cons

I have none - I have a great situation here and hope to retire from Spencer Stuart

8. "Best of the big search firms"

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

Healthy culture that cares about its clients, employees and the community. Focused on top notch client service. Generally well run with strong senior management.

Cons

Can be large and hard to drive organizational change. Trapped by its own success in core search, can it meaningfully expand.

Advice to Management

Consider M&A rather than primarily organic growth. Leverage model can lead to average service for clients...hard to scale professional services without tech/automation.

"Top tier firm, work-life balance is an issue"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

Spencer Stuart is a great firm. Its people set it apart in the industry, especially compared to its publicly-traded competitors. Most Spencer Stuart colleagues are intelligent, collaborative, and down-to-earth. Sharp elbows and abrasive personalities generally don't work well. The firm promotes building strong relationships, which is incredibly rewarding on a professional and personal level, and I count many colleagues to be close personal friends. It's a nice culture almost to a fault, as there can be some aversion to having difficult conversations.

Cons

The (lack of) work-life balance is a constant challenge at the associate /senior associate level. 60-80+ hour weeks are typical, and burnout is a major issue that has not been addressed in any capacity. Whenever leaders talk about work-life balance, it's in the context of mobility, meaning that you can take your computer home to work more, or can sometimes work from other offices when traveling. This does nothing to address the broader work-life balance issues that are endemic across the firm and have gotten worse over the last few years. I would confidently bet that if an employee engagement survey were conducted today, the results would be significantly worse than the survey conducted several years ago.

Additionally, Spencer Stuart has an old-school (think 1950s), hierarchical view of its executive assistant (EA) role. There is no career path for EAs, so many good EAs have left over the years (almost all negative Glassdoor reviews of Spencer Stuart relate to this topic in some capacity). The firm does a good job at development at the associate and consultant levels (analyst development has come a long way but its clearly not a major firm priority), but EAs just don't fit into this equation, and its an issue.

Advice to Management

The firm needs to put together a task force to look at work-life balance (at least in North America), because the status quo isn't working and the client-related work-products are suffering.

Additionally, the firm needs to seriously think about the EA role and think about creating a broader project management role that great EAs can grow into. The firm should have a methodology for promoting truly exceptional EAs into the associate role.

"Not listed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

Pros

The benefits, pay and most of the people are wonderful.

Cons

The Managing Director is not trustworthy and is not engaged in his business and does not care about the office and its employees. Also, when it comes to his business, he blames everyone else around him for anything that goes wrong without looking at himself.

Advice to Management

Move Steve out of the Office Lead position so that a more business-minded professional can lead the office. And, if he continues to represent Spencer Stuart as a Managing Director, he needs coaching. He is leading searches for a highly respected search firm while not being very professional!