Splash Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
John Dankovchik

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Splash Media is a great place to begin a marketing career (in 10 reviews)

• Fun place to work, Great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership has little to no agency experience (in 4 reviews)

• No work/life balance - management treats you like an expendable slave (in 3 reviews)

1. "Needs work, but headed in a great direction"

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Addison, TX

I have been working at Splash Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Splash is a welcoming community full of people ready to help each other grow. The management recognizes employee's issues and are actively working toward fixing them, and everyone has a voice, no matter their position.

Cons

Some of the employees are inconsistent with their duties, then lay blame upon others when the work is poor or late.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to and encouraging your employees. Keep hiring good employees that will grow, not just anyone who walks in

May 23, 2016 – Chief Communications Officer

Thanks for the feedback. Accountability is important at Splash, and we always strive for an open and collaborative team. Great things are happening at Splash!

"A floundering company with no where to go."

Former Employee - Art Director in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Art Director in Addison, TX

I worked at Splash Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a Beer keg
    Great selection of coffee
    Lots of comfy couches
    Bathrooms are spotless
    Free doughnuts on Fridays

Cons

No clear process for jobs
    Underpaid and overworked employees
    Atmosphere is negative
    Coworkers are very clicky
    Clients are terrible
    Very high employee turnover
    No bonuses, no 401(k), no matching for savings

"Agency" is currently being run by 2 people from the healthcare industry with no actual agency experience.

CEO is petty

Advice to Management

Actually value your employees, and get some legitimate processes in place.

Feb 15, 2017 – Chief Communications Officer

We appreciate you took the time to respond, but are saddened by your experience here and your agency assessment. We have great clients, a healthy new business pipeline, and a diverse and talented... More

"Just don't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benbrook, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benbrook, TX

I worked at Splash Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part the people you work with care about doing a good job. "Flexible" hours. Free beer if you care about that.

Cons

Poor compensation, no benefits, they speak of work/life balance until you want to have that balance. Overworked, underpaid employees get burnt out quickly and leave for companies who are willing to pay for good workers and appreciate them. The managing partners ask alot of everyone but aren't willing to put in the same hours as the employees. They also promote partying with some employees and having favorites who aren't held to the same standards as everyone else. Promotions aren't earned, they're based off how good of friends you are with the bosses. Management doesn't know how to manage people or lead by example. If you're a woman you won't advance in this company.

Advice to Management

There's no advice to give in which management would listen to or take into account when making decisions.

Jan 8, 2017 – Chief Communications Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Half our leadership team are women, and we provide extensive health benefits. We support a culture where everyone can flourish in a creative... More

4. "Not worth your time."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Splash Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is nice and they have competitive pay.

Cons

Where do I start? They claim to have a great agency culture where communication and collaboration are constant, but that is far from the truth. Teams rarely communicate causing issues getting the right service results for their clients. Management has ADD and no idea where they want to take the agency. Very high turnover as they have been known to pull mass exodus lay-off's from time to time. Stay Away!

Advice to Management

Try to provide some training for your employees and institute an environment of collaboration and positivity.

Sep 12, 2016 – Chief Communications Officer

We appreciate the candid feedback. Our leadership team reviewed the comments, and we are committed to a collaborative and transparent workplace. Our culture is based on qualities of curiosity... More

5. "Marketing Agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Splash Media (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Best atmosphere and the people are great.

Cons

Salary is very low for market average.

May 23, 2016 – Chief Communications Officer

Thanks for the props! We work hard to ensure a fun, collaborative and leading edge culture. We use salary benchmarking tools as a salary guide and compensate based on experience and work... More

"Great First Job"

Former Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Addison, TX

I worked at Splash Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an intern before graduating, left for four months, and came back because I loved it here so much.

The people at this company are some of the most genuine, hardworking, and helpful people I've ever been around. There is a sense of family within the staff that you won't get anywhere else, and with the exception of a few bad seeds (that are mostly gone), everyone helps build each other up.

Pay is standard - you won't be making millions, but prove your worth and they'll pay your worth. I know many people will say otherwise, but after a bit of job hopping - it really is middle ground.

Current management is finally overcoming the reputation of previous management, which is well deserved, as they are the most caring people I have ever worked for. Every single one of my higher-ups pushed me and support me through my internship, while finishing college, and started my career outside of college.

Cons

At the time I was employed there, benefits were minimal - however, I have learned this has recently changed!

As the company was shifting and shaping, I had an incredibly difficult time finding "my place" or finding a career path. It was difficult looking to stay long-term for this reason, paired with lack of benefits (which, again, has now changed).

There is/was a massive disconnect between account side and production (creative) side. Neither is really aware of what the other does all day, and it causes resentment within teams. However, on my way out, management was working diligently to improve this.

If you're good at your job, be prepared to receive a LOT of work. More than once I had to wave a white flag to management about my workload - although it took longer that I would have liked, these issues were eventually resolved.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to let people work their way into roles - letting people take on a little more responsibility helps build confidence, and you may be surprised by some of the hidden talents the quiet ones in the office have. Have faith in your millennials!

Other than that, keep doing what you're doing! Even as an outsider it is exciting to watch you guys grow so quickly. As mentioned before, management was nothing shy of supportive and I will appreciate each of you and your guidance for a lifetime.

Thank you for an incredible first job experience! I would recommend this company to anyone and look forward to seeing Splash continue to move mountains!

Nov 4, 2015 – Director of Administration

We are humbled by your words and so glad your experience with us was so positive. We hope you have found a home for yourself.

7. "Social Media Coordinator"

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Addison, TX

I have been working at Splash Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of opportunity, very creative driven

Cons

The benefits and pay aren't the best.

Nov 4, 2015 – Chief Communications Officer

We love our culture and work hard to make it a fun and collaborative environment. Splash offers health, dental, vision, 401K and other insurance benefits that are similar to our industry, and we... More

8. "Great culture & great experience"

Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Addison, TX

Pros

Splash Media is a great place to begin a marketing career. Everyone is collaborative and works together on big projects, no matter what level you are. The culture is second to none, because of both the CEO and the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a very fast-paced, stressful environment. However, that is social media marketing agency life no matter where you are working.

Nov 4, 2015 – Director of Administration

Appreciate your input. The advertising/marketing industry has been fast-paced since its inception. Good to keep that in mind when looking for your career.

9. "friendly environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

Pros

the coworkers are very friendly. it's a very cool work environment where you can bring up your creative ideas to the top management

Cons

the actual work was a bit boring

Nov 4, 2015 – Director of Administration

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear your work was boring. Hope your new job is giving you more of a challenge.

"Inexperienced, "start up" leadership"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Addison, TX

Pros

Your team members are fun and collaborative.

Cons

Staying effective and consistent while still delivering results to clients. There is somewhat of an old school "cronie" atmosphere. Company has a tendency to under-perform and then "spin" results to clients.

Feb 18, 2015 – Chief Communications Officer

Thanks for the feedback. A key quality is client transparency - never spin - and our leadership team is always accessible to staff regardless of title. Our goal is to exceed client expectations... More