Spring Arbor University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Charles H. Webb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Christian mission!"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Spring Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Spring Arbor, MI

I have been working at Spring Arbor University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work for and the new director is going to take the admissions department to new heights. He's a servant leader that strongly believes in his employees

Cons

The town is pretty small so if you're a young professional it can be a little tough to make connections. There's church's, sports leagues, and parks to try to meet people but it's a little tough

Advice to Management

Honestly Spring Arbor is on the rise. A year ago I had things to say but the new Admissions Director is inspiring and a great individual to work for.

2. "Quenched my enthusiasm"

Former Employee - Professor in Spring Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Professor in Spring Arbor, MI

I worked at Spring Arbor University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work colleagues, flexible work/ life balance, faculty who are dedicated to students, respectful students. Opportunities to bring students overseas.

Cons

Low pay, cut-backs on pay and benefits, including teaching overload for free, insulated environment for students. Admin often chooses a cover-up approach when things happen, instead of taking a strong public stance.

Advice to Management

Treasure your faculty and don't take them for granted. Foster a true liberal arts environment. Don't infantilize students, or treat them like high school students. Come out strong against discrimination. Listen to your marginalized students. Don't pay lip service to justice. The world is changing around the bubble, and the bubble might pop. Have realistic expectations of faculty: we teach 4-5 courses a semester and some of us have to teach elsewhere in addition to that because of the low pay... and you want us to publish?

3. "Former Student and Part-time Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Spring Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Tutor in Spring Arbor, MI

I worked at Spring Arbor University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Usually a very friendly, warm environment. Stays true to their Christian identity (for the most part). Most faculty and administrators genuinely do care about you as a person. Faculty make themselves available to students and usually go far beyond the call of duty to try to help and mentor you. Upper management really does try to make themselves available to student concerns and tries to address grievances fairly, even though I felt like certain administrators in Student Development were sometimes very dishonest and unethical.

Cons

To begin, they can be very overbearing and inappropriately pry into your personal life. I feel like students and employees can be very fake, which results in a very dysfunctional political environment. The administration makes very bad financial decisions and does not seem to learn from them. As a result, the pay and benefits for full time faculty and staff are pretty poor. They recently had significant downsizing and layed off some very hardworking people, while they retained others who really aren't needed. There also seems to be a lack of overall direction.

The culture is another matter. As I've said, I think its good that they have a strong Christian identity, but there are students and staff who have some very radical and bizzare opinions. Some people can be very bully-like and use religion as an excuse to put others down.

There are good things to say about this institution but the politics and bureaucratic aspects of it are so bad, I would strongly recommend working somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to make yourselves available to students and the "little guys" on campus. Try to cultivate a more ambitious sense of direction and also try smoke out certain intransigent administrators and employees who are arguably holding the university back.

4. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Nashville, MI
    Former Employee - Tutor in Nashville, MI

I worked at Spring Arbor University (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and students want to learn

Cons

Additional training if the job went to full time

5. "A good place to start a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Arbor, MI

I worked at Spring Arbor University (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a chance to work with some great people who I will remember all my life. Most of the time, it is a pretty laid back atmosphere. It can be a great place for someone with little experience to start a new career, get some experience, and move on. On the other hand, Pretty much all of the full-time faculty I worked with were exceptional.

Many employees cared very deeply for students and volunteered time to help with various activities or went above and beyond in other ways. They also cared for one another, which established somewhat of a grassroots Christian community.

Holiday time off was great. Overall, I enjoyed my time at SAU, but there are definitely some systemic issues.

Cons

Too overreaching into personal lives. Until recently, employees were not allowed to consume alcohol period, even outside of work. Supposedly, it is now allowed, but with much resistance. The president also reserves the right to interject him or herself into divorce proceedings to try and reconcile employee marriages. I understand and support that this is a Christian institution, but there are differing opinions and interpretations on alcohol and what makes a university president an expert in divorce counseling? And, divorce is a whole other oddity, which may affect employment, depending who was "at fault."

Pay is not very good and there is a very disproportionate ratio of male to female management. I also knew at least a couple women doing the same or more work as their male counterparts for less money. Management is not consistent in general responsibilities or knowledge of laws, which leads to inappropriate situations. HR was quite grumpy, too.

There were no real groundbreaking efforts to improve employee satisfaction or culture. There have been pretty large layoffs and pay cuts the past few years.

SAU is in a slump and it is hard to know if they will recover. If the past few years are an indication of future performance, I would not recommend SAU to anyone looking for longterm employment.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees are telling you and show them you care with your actions, not with your promises.

6. "Decent Student Work- Too Many Political Games"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Arbor, MI

I have been working at Spring Arbor University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its stable, it works with your class schedule

Cons

The atmosphere is cordial but everyone talks behind eachother's backs.

7. "Overall a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Saint Johns, MI
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Saint Johns, MI

I worked at Spring Arbor University (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Good site employees to work with. Enjoyed the time spent with students. Met a lot of great people and contacts.

Cons

Can become very political when it comes time to making decisions for the betterment of the students.

8. "Administrative leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Arbor, MI

I worked at Spring Arbor University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is warm, most people are friendly. Pretty campus, nice cafeteria, beautiful location. That's all I can think of...?

Cons

Lots of "inbreeding." They tend to hire their own graduates, which results in a narrow, non-diverse approach to improving courses and instruction. A large majority of campus employees are either related, good friends, or connected somehow, which can slow progress when taking action to improve the quality of education for sake of student retention.

Advice to Management

Increase diversity, establish clear standards for the sake of accountability, get employees more focused on retention, and break the comfortable, lax methods just because "we've been doing things this way since 19xx..."

Usher stakeholders into the 21st century by globalizing the online programs so you can be remotely competitive with colleges like IWU and Liberty. There is incredible potential to be a leading online Christian University; the change starts with addressing the fixed mindsets and the poorly designed online courses.

9. "Means well, but lacks in application"

I worked at Spring Arbor University (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely care for employees well-being.

Cons

-Favoritism is obvious.
    -A tendency to be judgmental
    -Ostracizes those who are different

Advice to Management

Embrace diversity. Learn from other perspectives and opinions.

10. "Great, Christ-centered place to work"

I worked at Spring Arbor University (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, great atmosphere, beautiful campus

Cons

Small town feel, not many people