State Collection Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas Haag

"It was an ok company"

Former Employee - Third Party Debt Collector in Beloit, WI
    Former Employee - Third Party Debt Collector in Beloit, WI

I worked at State Collection Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits
    -Rewards
    -Bonuses
    -Once a month lunches
    -Some coworkers
    -incentives

Cons

-supervisors play favoritism
    -supervisors get mad when you ask for help
    -supervisors need training
    -some coworkers
    -pto time
    -vacation time
    -health insurance

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism and listen to people when they ask for help. Also clean those bathrooms and learn how to be genuine to others.

2. "Huge Disappointment!!!"

Former Employee - Debt Collector in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Debt Collector in Madison, WI

I worked at State Collection Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have NOTHING nice to say about State Collection Service.

Cons

I never had a chance because I have a heart. These people don't have souls
    .. bothering people who are homeless and /or on their (or their loved one's) death bed for a small payment. The HR lady told me what I wanted to hear and was extremely unprofessional....and that should have been my first clue. The classroom instructor was probably the only​ decent person there. The on-the-job training was a joke. They bounce you to person to person (and the Supervisors had to literally beg or bribe people to train, which was a bit uncomfortable and unprofessional). One person does something one way and then when you do it the way you were just taught, you get told that it is the wrong way...and this continuously occurs over and over. I was never told the number of phone calls I was to make per hour/per day until 2 days before they let me go because I wasn't making enough phone calls. I was initially made to feel horrible that I wasn't making enough phone calls (I was getting closer and closer to the quota, and I know I would've had no problem getting there had I had just a little more time​). I was also told to take my time and learn the job well before worrying about my call quota. I was abruptly removed from my desk mid call and taken into a room where the HR lady and my unprofessional Supervisor let me go less than 2 days after learning what was expected of me. My co-workers were not​ any better... I was training one morning when my trainer continuously muted her phone and said terrible things at the muted phone. It was a horrible experience.

Advice to Management

Revise your on the job training and paint your walls any other color besides puke green.

3. "Has its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Customer Service in West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in West Allis, WI

Pros

Customer Service Friendly
    Family oriented
    Cares about patients
    Giving back to community
    Jeans on Friday

Cons

No communication from employees and management

Advice to Management

be more involved

5. "Collections Specialist"

Former Employee - Collection Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Collection Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at State Collection Service (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly there. They don't watch you like a hawk (being a call center). They are very lenient with attendance.

Cons

The ladies restroom always had an odor.

Advice to Management

None, they are all pretty laid back and friendly.

6. "Not for the faint of heart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva, IL

I have been working at State Collection Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

bonuses, good benefits, commissions, raffles, prizes, lunches, outings, awards banquet

Cons

strict federal guidelines, not great management

Advice to Management

"Great Job, If you work hard"

Former Employee - Collector in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Collector in Madison, WI

Pros

Great co workers. Supervisors are great. This is a job where goals are expected and if you don't get there they will work with you. It is a great job, but work hard! Can be stressful but that's how it is in all goal oriented jobs.

Cons

The predictive dialer is okay. But being able to actually manually work account files would make people way more successful. QUIT playing favorites with those madison people.

Advice to Management

Get more new accounts. Treat all branches equally. If you have not heard it yet, it makes people feel like crap in very 2nd class.

"Not a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Madison WI EBO Clerk in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Madison WI EBO Clerk in Madison, WI

I worked at State Collection Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a Bonus system
    You get PTO Time
    You will learn about Medical Billing

Cons

Poor communication with management.
    Your job can change drastically and without warning.
    The environment is very discouraging.
    There is very little room for advancement.
    Mandatory 2 nights a week and 4 hours on Saturday.
    They gain accounts but then lose them just as fast. Or they just break up your dept for no apparent reason and give all your work to somebody else.

Advice to Management

Management should practice what they preach. On day one, you will be told something "this is like a big family" but really it's nothing like a family. If you have an issue, there is no one to talk to about it. Often supervisors have no idea when something can be improved or why something important to you was changed.

9. "AMAZING place to work..."

Current Employee - PPA Collector in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - PPA Collector in Madison, WI

I have been working at State Collection Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been here for a # of years and it is one of the BEST places I have been employed... Overall, the company cares about the employees, will work with anyone on their scheduling and the opportunities are indeed endless if you work towards them. There are several programs/training that State offers towards attaining anyone's personal goals as well!!

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is that it seems to take forever before you are earning more than your hourly wage ie commission or anything else. It falls to the individual to take the reigns and show value through production to get to the point that you CAN make more.

Advice to Management

No advice to give, all managers/supervisors are very team-oriented and strive toward each person being successful!!

"Like where in high school"

Current Employee - Collector in Beloit, WI
    Current Employee - Collector in Beloit, WI

I have been working at State Collection Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good bonus if you can follow hippa and fdcpa. HR is also great really cares and shows compassion for people.

Cons

It's like being in high school! Everyone talks about each other and you can't take anything to your sup because they talk about you as well. The other problem they do not offer part time they will tell you to quit even if your life problems get in the way. Crappy clients you're responsible for your own goal but never make your own calls.

Advice to Management

Let management know that its not OK to discuss other employees and understand people have personal stuff going on they can't leave at home.

"State Collections"

Former Employee - EBO Patient Billing Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - EBO Patient Billing Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at State Collection Service (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with me on my schedule, open to making up time during the week. Overtime was good. Monthly awards made you feel appreciated

Cons

A little unorganized. Certain clients made managers too strict and often made mandatory OT. Didn't allow certain team members to speak to their co-workers during the day.