Sterling Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Rama Kavaliauskas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Thanks to Sterling!!"

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am super thankful to Sterling Engineering for making me what I am today, especially Marian Brady, she coached me, guided me and developed my skill set in understanding the industry. Sterling is a family owned company, therefore, they know the value of family and how to keep the employees happy. I have worked with them for 4 years and learned a lot. It is a good company to start your career in but there are only few opportunities to develop yourself or move up in the ladder. Although there is tons of recognition and appreciation by colleagues, management and even contractors.

Cons

As for the cons- lack of benefits, lack of flexibility, and lastly lack of work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Please pay some attention on changing your benefit package to retain the employees.

2. "One of the better contracting company."

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent benefits, paid public holidays, and paid vacations (accrues with years of service). Very honest in their dealings with contractors and end-client.

Cons

slow in giving raises annually, if you don't ask for it you wont get it.

Advice to Management

co-relate your raise to contractors, like your end-client. It is a very lonely situation for a contractor when she/he sees her/his fellow employees (full time employees at the client location) get a raise and they dont.

3. "Staffing Agent"

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Westchester, IL

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are by far the best staffing organization that I have been involved with.

Cons

There is still somewhat of a disconnect with being a contract employee.

Advice to Management

Have weekly reporting on the job situation to target issues or problems.

4. "Industry leader with great opportunities and benefits"

Pros

Friendly, helpful work environment. Management open to new ideas and always interested in moving the company forward. Employees always come first here and the culture is great.

Cons

Being a self-starter is a must, supervisors don't have enough time to handhold everybody but those with initiative have unlimited opportunity to succeed.

5. "If recruiting is for you this is a good place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Highland, IN

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, good management, and good people. Compensation program was generous and the Account Managers have good relationships with their clients which leads to quality orders to work on. The leadership is patient and understanding as long as you have a great attitude and show you want to be there. When I finally found out recruiting was not for me (due to work life balance and travel distance) they worked with me to make my transition extremely smooth.

Cons

Healthcare was kind of expensive for the family plan. Very metrics driven which could lead to long hours and stress. Work life balance is very tough to manage in this career. Since its an open office environment, it can get pretty noisy which could be a distraction.

Advice to Management

Sterling is a fantastic company with good leadership. But you need to work on getting better healthcare rates for internal employees. Make paying direct hire commissions more of a priority. If the contract is a net 30, recruiters should be paid their commissions in that timetable. Hire a Collection Specialist to collect any past due payments from clients.

6. "IT Recruiter"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sterling Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A tribe driven by its strong bond, passion, and loyalty between across the organization. Everyone is connected and shares the culture and values. Most people have been here forever, literally some have been here since before I was born. I think the best thing that has happened to Sterling, besides it’s conception and production of dippers, is that it became employee owned. I joined the company last year and I felt part of the team from day one. Another thing that the team structure and the level of collaboration and trust we have for the team is amazing. I don’t think I ever felt part of a team so comfortably and easily in such a short time. The management is always concerned about us. They feed you until you literally explode! I gained 7 pounds in first 2 weeks since joining and 17 pound now but who is counting.

The management does their best to help you. The only problem I have ever faced in Sterling and it has nothing to do with Sterling is my commute. Management allowed me to switch my time around to help shave some commute time of my hand. Also our team lead fights tooth and nail for us so every time we have any issue he will speak in our behalf !

Cons

The complaint I have is the size of the fridge we have, there is no fridge space. At least two times a week, I think almost everyone has to move others food around.

Advice to Management

New fridge might be helpful

7. "Senior Technical Recruiter -- Current Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westchester, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Westchester, IL

I have been working at Sterling Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sterling Engineering has been an Excellent Company to work at! I've actually worked for Sterling for a total of 4 years and am a current employee who has been re-hired. I can speak from experience and be completely honest the best parts about the company would be the people / culture. Our CEO is always positive and gives off an energetic vibe. Our President is one of the most caring, hard-working and loyal people I've ever met. Our VP's have all helped me out in my career and development and our VP of HR has kept an open door policy to listen to suggestions and concerns. Personally my interactions with both the President and VP of HR have always been very positive and you can tell they care because they will always give you the time of day to meet. I've always felt like I've been able to voice suggestions and request meetings with senior management and as busy as they are with their jobs they have always taken the time out to hear idea's I've had and are open to suggestions to improve processes. It is too often that we see reviews that are only negative because when everything is going well people feel like that is expected and wouldn't write a review. I've seen and read some of the past reviews and I would recommend current or past employees to voice concerns or suggestions directly to the management team rather than go online and attempt to bash the company. I’ve personally witnessed employees that have struggled with performance but have been kept on staff because the management team actually cares. In any organization whether it be Google or Apple there will always be processes and systems that can be improved and it is necessary to continue to get better and we will only continue to do so by voicing idea's in the right channels. What I've noticed is with all companies there are always a few people that are negative and try and ruin it for the rest of us. Sterling has prize packages and get-a-ways that other companies could not come close to, we also are constantly getting food catered and are involved in plenty of outside events to keep us active. Our Gym Membership is so heavily discounted it’s basically paid for and it’s right in our building which is awesome. We have a great group and the relationships with our clients are long standing as we've been around for over 45 years unlike most engineering/staffing firms. My advice for newer or prospective employees coming in or looking at Sterling would be to get in and work hard because it will surely be rewarded well I can personally attest to that.

Cons

It would be unfair if I didn't have anything to write in this section so I'll have to throw out my only one… I am a big believer in having a few days a month to be able to work from home if your job type would allow you to do so. I believe it helps out especially for Parents who may have a sick child or spouse or even for times when the weather is bad and it's going to be a terrible commute to come in to work that day. It would be great to see 2-3 days a month of work-from-home days to use at will on those days when you can still work but it may be more convenient to not have to physically be in the building. The benefit of it would be helpful in saving vacation/sick time to use for true vacations. (On a side note, I have suggested this in a face to face meeting and it was well received, I would not hide behind my computer to make this suggestion). That being said I've actually been given the opportunity to work from home at times that were necessary so this shouldn't be seen as a complaint but rather a suggestion to have it part of the regular schedule.

"Mid-Size Company with Small Company Feel"

Pros

Great People to work with, lots of opportunities to get involved in different ways because they don't have a rigid structure internally. Can interface with upper management no matter who you are.

Cons

The insurance is not much better than ACA Marketplace options, if a major positive change were to be considered, this is where I would start.

9. "Great experience with Sterling!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Sterling Engineering full-time

Pros

I am in the process of looking for a new opportunity and Sterling has been professional and thorough. The pre-screen interviews were pertinent and ensured that the opportunities that they are presenting are a great match for everyone involved. I have been looking for new opportunities over the last seven months and Sterling has been the most involved and professional recruiting company that I have worked with. Kalisha has been prompt to respond and always helpful. Thank you Kalisha and Mark!

Cons

I have had nothing but a great experience with Sterling!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Sterling Engineering Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Westchester, IL

Pros

I completed my second year of interning with Serling Engineering over this last summer. Through this internship I was able to learn a lot about the hiring process and what companies look for in their new hires. All of the Managers and the Recruiters did a wonderful job of finding great talent for positions while creating a solid relationship with candidates showing them that they cared about finding them a good future with a new company.

Cons

Open office with no walls can be a pro, but it can also be a con due to how loud it can get at times. Not always the best while trying to speak with candidates.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!