Stitcher Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Stitcher Radio"

Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Stitcher as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good company culture, well-oiled machine relative to other startups

Cons

Drab office space, few amenities relative to other startups

2. "Surly Tech People"

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Stitcher as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some projects are challenging and interesting. There were some great co-workers that I would love to work with again.

Cons

A couple of co-workers were either surly or blind to taking advice. QA process is poor.
    Former CEO surprised with announcement for people to use up their PTO. Bad communication.

3. "Stitcher rocks"

Current Employee - Director of Mobile Platforms in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Mobile Platforms in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitcher full-time

Pros

I've worked at Stitcher for 6 years, and it's been a great experience. We've had many ups and downs during that time, but the core team has remained intact and is now more productive and together than ever before. I think the reason that the core team has stayed intact is that there is a genuine love of the product, a flexible home/work balance, and a friendly vibe in the office. The best is still to come.

Cons

We are a small team, so everyone has to pull hard in the same direction to make progress. This sometimes means we have to forego, exciting/interesting innovation opportunities in order to focus on the core product. Though as we grow our team in 2017/18 we plan on being able to innovate in the podcasting space once again.

4. "Former intern, now full-time. Positive outlook moving forward."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitcher as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Office atmosphere is lighthearted yet allows for growth. As an intern several years ago, I was treated with respect and given great training of the proprietary systems. Expectations are sometimes challenging, but reasonable. Having come back to work at Stitcher in the past year, I've noticed the "startup mentality" has not left. I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone interested in the podcasting industry, editorial, or developmental work.

Cons

The current lean staffing size can sometimes lead to innovative projects being left on the back burner while manpower is devoted to maintenance or daily tasks. (Software developers should read this as opportunity, in my opinion)

5. "Looking forward to what we accomplish next"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitcher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People - smart, talented, good senses of humor
    Product - innovative, distinguished
    Work from home - able to when necessary (can be considered a contributing factor to Office Culture con, if abused)
    PTO - unlimited
    Office location - central to SoMa / FiDi

Cons

Internal communication - needs improvement
    Human resources - we need more great talent
    Office culture - needs improvement (Our team has great culture at its core, it just needs some dedicated attention)

Advice to Management

(Note to reader: We have a new CEO)

6. "Getting back to being a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitcher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A leader in an increasingly hot space (podcasting), now combined with the very complementary skills of Midroll since being acquired by Scripps. Deezer years were a bit of a not so fun detour but with the resources of Midroll/Scripps and a renewed focus on product innovation the future looks brighter than ever. While not a start up anymore given its ownership by Scripps, still has a small company culture in SF offices. Has always had a great group of people involved at the company, despite the negative reviews written here by what appear to be laid off employees who were not a great fit.

Cons

Acquisition by Scripps (public company) means that it's not as much of a start up anymore with big equity upside. Need to re-hire staff that was lost and not replaced during Deezer years in order to execute on plans.

Advice to Management

Work within Scripps to ensure Stitcher receives the support (financial, personnel) that it didn't have while operating under Deezer. Preserve the SF tech start up culture vs being assimilated into a midwest corporate culture.

7. "Curator"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Stitcher (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, and management. Expectations of the job were set clearly, which made my job a lot easier. Each Friday lunch was catered as well!

Cons

Company ended up getting bought out and many people were let go.

Advice to Management

Continue great communication.

"Unfriendly and demanding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stitcher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friday lunches and stocked kitchen with beer. Occasional outings... that's about it.

Cons

Salaries are low, expectations are very high. Management/CEO doesn't like to give you flexibility as he believes on in-office/9am to 9pm work day plus you being available at all times on weekends, don't leave by 5/530pm, you'll get their eyes rolled at you or thrown a comment in the next days. There is no transparency on what is being done or where things are going - weak leadership. CEO once said at an all-hands conversation, 'Stitcher is doing everything right, and absolutely nothing wrong, no weaknesses' - perhaps that's the reason this company is not doing well, don't be pretentious and learn from your own flaws, it's one of the keys to success.

Advice to Management

Be friendly, engage with your employees, make them feel trusted, important, valued, and smart.

"Poor internal and external communications by exec team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Fast growing industry. Good location

Cons

Management doesn't have a firm grasp or a holistic approach to the industry. Doesn't work collaboratively or communicate effectively internally.

Advice to Management

listen to employees, communicate with team, hire someone who understands the industry and pay attention to what is going on.

"Good at first"

I have been working at Stitcher full-time

Pros

the other reviewer is spot on. the technology is cool and there are cool things that they are planning. everyone is nice and there are free snacks. they are nice about giving away swag.

Cons

they are so disorganized and it takes forever for them to do anything. they think they are collaborative but they are not. there is an inner circle that is made up of the c-level people and vp. they communicate among themselves. they think they are open to ideas and they are not. they have turned down so many good ideas and then they decide to do them later when the work could of been started earlier. project management is a joke because of the disorganization and lack of communication. there are weekly team meetings and weekly lunches but it doesn't feel that much like we are a team. it seems like it's forced social hour during lunch. even happy hour kind of sucks. there is fooseball but the same people play. if you play you have a better chance of being heard when it comes to ideas but whether you are taken seriously or not is a different story. these problems will really prevent the company from growing. this is a good company to start off at to gain experience but you could get bored soon. it is not the worst company to be at especially at first but you can quickly outgrow it. Oh they can be cheap about a lot of things. if the overall work environment was better like if they cared about what you had to say the cheapness would not matter as much but since it is not the case it would be nice if we could feel like you care more by giving us better stuff or letting us have nicer happy hours. they are nice about giving away swag but not as much when it comes to there own employees. there tedious interview process maybe makes them seem like a cool company and like it is worth going through the hassle. for someone who wants to gain more experience it could be worth it to go through all of it and try to get a job here. when you interview they tell you that you can do a lot here and there is room for growth but there is really not so that is what i mean when i said you could get bored. at first things seem good or at least okay. things might stay okay but you will probably just get bored and start to notice some of the problems mentioned. doubtful your job will actually get better, it will either stay the same or get worst. the technology and concept is cool but they are not innovative in other ways like with features and marketing the app. sometimes i think people find out about the app by accident.

Advice to Management

during the moments that you actually take off your headphones you should listen to your employees. you might be surprised to find that those outside the inner circle have good things to say. in terms of headphones they are useful and i see the point to them but when you are in meetings all day whether with external people or the inner circle it only drives home the feeling that you don't care about the rest of the "team" and you are ignoring them.