Surescripts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Tom Skelton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Innovative Company with Outstanding People"

Current Employee - Manager, Product Innovation in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager, Product Innovation in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very talented people who are trying to make health care better
    - Great CEO who has brought significant positive change to the culture and direction of the company
    - Lots of flexibility in work hours and location
    - Focus on employee growth and learning

Cons

- Steep learning curve in the beginning as it is a complex business
    - Communication when leaders leave the company/change roles needs to improve

Advice to Management

Work to increase people of color and women in leadership positions.

2. "Surescripts is for Doers"

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has a purpose that aligns with my life/career goals, making healthcare better in the United States. They reward hard work and results, both with appropriate recognition and compensation. There is great leadership within the company that allows for front line employees to have autonomy and the power to make decisions to move the company forward. Your coworkers are some of the best and brightest in healthcare.

Cons

Depends on what you are looking for but it is not your typical 9 to 5 job, healthcare moves fast and you have to move with it. Autonomy can have draw backs, strategies are not always aligned and better coordination is needed. Surescripts is great at creating a technology solution, but not great and ensuring the market exists for that solution. Corporate strategy is a work in progress and needs to be more effectively communicated and informed by the boots on the ground.

Advice to Management

Better cross functional team collaboration at the leadership level.

"Thriving at Surescripts"

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company continues to grow which provides many opportunities to get involved.

Cons

With three offices spread across the country, it is hard to get to know some of your colleagues you work closely with.

Advice to Management

Work to better communicate business decisions beyond leadership so that individual contributors can also align with goals and objectives.

"Engaging Place to Work"

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work for the Software Engineering Department. The managers work well together. Everyone works on an Agile team and their are 14 teams. The Agile are made up of a Product Owner, 4 Developers, and 2 QA staff. An Agile coach works with each team part of the time. Teams have much autonomy to set their goals and work together to achieve their goals. Planning is ongoing and we share plan for the next 10 week at planning events 5 times a year. I like the cadence. I like the people I work with. I like the positive environment. I like working with my manager. He is very open to ideas and lets me follow through on the ideas. He follows up regarding what we learn as we try ideas so we do more of what works and less of what isn't working. I like the products that we work on. I think our work matters to the Health Care industry in the United States and we make a positive difference in people's lives through our work. I like that I can work from home 1-2 days a week as needed.

Cons

The downtown commute during construction season or on a rainy day.

Advice to Management

Keep seeking new opportunities for us to contribute to the Health Care profession and stop by to talk to us about how we are doing more often.

"Oppressive and Top Heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good health insurance and 401K plan.

Cons

The organization does not internalize or appreciate employee feedback. Management is hired externally, with no industry experience, over internal candidates. I've experienced this across several departments.Executive team is extremely top heavy. A rather stagnated environment to spend the majority of your week.

Advice to Management

Listen to the "low men on the totem pole". They are the frontline of your organization and what they are experiencing is not positive and shows no direction of getting any better.

"Dream Job"

I have been working at Surescripts full-time

Pros

I love working at Surescripts. The work is challenging, but it's never boring and I'm always learning. I'm given the tools and technology I need to get my work done and things like working from home are never a problem as long as they're communicated with my boss. We're encouraged to attend conferences in our field (paid for by Surescripts) to stay on top of the latest tactics and to stay inspired and innovative. We get a free catered lunch every Friday and there are regular get-togethers like happy hours and trivia nights. My friends are super jealous --- I couldn't be happier with my job.

Cons

None that I can think of!

"Just another job, don't let your career end here"

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average salary, lots of current/new technology, fast paced environment.

Cons

Limited career path, management doesn't value potential long-term employees.

Advice to Management

More work is needed on values.

"Ok place to work for a while, job not a career"

Current Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Surescripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, staff is friendly and overall not a bad place to work. Culture is odd, very little cooperation, Lots of new technology, fast changing tech environment.

Cons

Limited career path; top heavy management structure; management is a bunch of "know-it-alls"; there is zero benefit in speaking up to contribute to making things better. Ideas of staff are not valued - management thinks they have all the answers.

Advice to Management

Involve your staff in issues and decisions. Communicate more and keep your staff better informed. Get people collaborating more on major projects. HR and the Values initiative is a joke.

"So much potential but not likely that potential will ever be reached"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Surescripts (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation, above average benefits, some fun work to be done, and you can even have the glory of making a difference in the world by helping to make healthcare run more smoothly. Healthy work-life balance. The Implementation team is full of genuinely great people to work with. A success story in an industry with many fruits to offer big players like Surescripts.

Cons

Upper management is totally detached from reality. Incentive efforts are very present but totally nonsensical. Efforts have been underway for two years now to end silo-style thinking and working, but the biggest result has been more red tape and slower interdepartmental collaboration.

The Oregon office is an afterthought backwater for the rest of the company. Top-down instigation of desired cultural norms only stymie any potentially positive developments. I don't know of anyone with a real career development path.

Projects can drag on for YEARS. Many projects are officially given high priority because they sound good but are then unofficially dismissed since they're not actually important. No one ever wants to declare an end to a project, not even when it's already dead. We spend crazy amounts of cash to solve problems that could be solved with existing resources- this does make sense, though, because our silo style thinking prevents one group from ever knowing what resources are already available elsewhere.

Lots of red tape, yet terrible workflow. It's like no one is awake at the helm.

All the same, the company as a whole is doing very well, so I highly doubt anyone will feel the urgency to improve. Anyone who feels Surescripts isn't doing enough for their career is far more likely to leave than to scale the towering walls that surround the improvement the company deserves.

Advice to Management

I have no idea what to do at this point. Culture was underproductive a few years ago and efforts to improve have only paralyzed people. Oregon office needs to be allowed to flourish instead of being dragged into a totally mismatched, top down culture. The incentives involving vacation destination prizes feels like a great way to alienate a lot of people at great expense.

Also, stop being so ready to throw money at problems! Invest that money in something that will improve the company!! So much money wasted on overpriced, totally unneeded enterprise software packages intended for companies 10x our size.

"Good company with potential to be great."

I have been working at Surescripts full-time

Pros

The space that Surescripts operates in is unique and interesting. The company processes billions of healthcare data transactions per year. It is rewarding to be part of an organization that delivers a centralized network solution to constituents who have competing priorities or in some cases are direct competitors. Constituents often do not agree on the position they'd like Surescripts to take (or the desired output) so the organization is in a unique position to broker workflows and find common ground. All of this creates stimulating/thought-provoking business problems to be solved, so this is a great place for individuals who like to be challenged in this way.

Most staff (regardless of position) are involved in work that directly impacts advancements to the HIT industry overall. In some positions, individuals have opportunities to directly influence industry changes and advancements.

The company has been making some improvements to strengthen the culture and right-size the strategy to balance out overall focus across the product offerings. It seems like leadership has taken note of some of the opportunities for improvement and is visibly talking about and making some changes. There appeared to be an era of arrogance and complacency in the past, which we seem to have moved away from. The work this company does is great, but that doesn't mean no one else can do it or that they won't! Hearing this recognized publicly has been refreshing, and seeing a more competitive strategy being talked about is a step in the right direction.

The people at this company are passionate and generally wonderful to work with. There are a couple areas that I don't see the same passion and commitment from, but those are definitely the exception. Most employees seem to understand that being a part of what this company is doing is pretty awesome, and people are willing to help each other out to ensure success (to the extent they are able).

The pay is competitive and the benefits are great including a generous bonus potential. The company offers work from home for most positions 2x/week which is another nice perk.

Cons

Surescripts is a small organization, but sometimes has a tremendous amount of red tape along with communication silos that makes it feel like a much larger company than it really is. Many individuals (and teams) seem to be working on duplicative work but without coordination, and through separate channels of instruction from senior leadership. Unfortunately there is a lack of shared understandings of the details that come behind some of the high-level company objectives among the lower ranks. I’ve witnessed meetings where groups who need to rely on each other to support their objectives cannot secure each other’s help because their objectives completely contradict/compete with one another. This seems to point to communication inconsistencies from executives or perhaps their direct reports in at least 2 or more areas. The good news is this can be fixed. Leadership needs to recognize the issues and address them vs. just changing the interpretation of objectives as we go (which has historically been what it seems occurs).

Another 'easy to fix' con is that this organization is missing a huge opportunity to develop internal talent. There appears to be zero efforts to recruit internally, and there are zero programs that really support growth and development. HR has promised development programs for at least the last three years. However, it’s unclear what their priorities are, and why they are moving so slow. Perception is that many key positions in the organization are being filled with external resources - many internal staff do not even know when positions are available or whether there is a potential path for them into other areas of the organization. When there is a clear path, there is an embarrassing lack of support in developing people into the roles. My personal experiences seeking development support have been frustrating, and I've heard similar stories from others. Ultimately, if you work here and want to continue to develop professionally, you need to be seeking outside mentor-ship and opportunities for growth.

Culture is lectured rather than demonstrated.

Advice to Management

- Start supporting internal growth and development in a visible way. Don’t wait for a ‘perfect’ HR system to be developed and implemented, do something now. Anything. Even if it’s small; just please do not communicate “a program is coming, stay tuned”.

- All senior leadership needs to model valued behaviors if the desire is for these behaviors to really take root.

- Reduce red tape, empower employees more. If we’re going to promote innovative thinking and action, tolerating some risks – then let’s stop hearing this from only the CEO and start seeing this in action.

- Legacy products need to be overhauled; entirely. Strategy, business plans, incentive programs, requirements for certification, everything. This should be a top priority this year, all-hands on deck. Optimization/CPI isn't going to fix the fundamental issues with our legacy product strategy. We should be more nimble than we are, stop being reactive, and position ourselves more strongly for the future. Survey your workforce - there is a plethora of innovative ideas that can be considered.