TV One Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Alfred Liggins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"New Direction, New Possibilities!"

I have been working at TV One full-time

Pros

We have new leadership and I am excited for the new possibilities at TV One. The new General Manager encourages teamwork and has a lot of experience in the industry. The GM is open to new ideas and I believe she will be a positive addition to TV One and it's culture. Excited to see the new changes that will develop over the coming years.

Cons

- Does not match 401k

- Does not have an official telework policy as of today - I say official because there is not a policy against it but it there is also not a policy in place. Some employees do work remotely but it is dependent on the supervisor and circumstances.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to feedback from employees to possibly implement new ideas and strategies.

"Too Many Snakes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at TV One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good location, outgoing co-workers, near Metro stop.

Cons

Low pay, poor benefits. Lots of gossip and back-stabbing. Untrustworthy people. Not current with TV best practices. Poor management. Cheap production values.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know what they are doing, and let them do what they're hired to do. Company acquires too much debt, leading to cutbacks in salary and pay and benefits. TV schedule keeps changing because you all are clueless as to what your viewers want to watch. Causes a lot of last minute work for everyone! Learn how to market to your viewers. Learn how to develop good programs. Stop changing the schedule every week, or at least hire someone who knows what they're doing.

Nov 9, 2018

"Most fun I’ve had working somewhere!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at TV One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people in marketing, research and sales. They hire good people, but can’t seem to keep them and people are their best asset. They have a few solid shows, but need more to grow. You’ll learn a lot about the multicultural market, great experience and opportunity to meet a lot of clients and build relationships.

Cons

A lot of turnover. The owners don’t always make sound business decisions and hire friends that aren’t qualified. Company also has a huge debt load so they can’t afford to invest in original programming. Ratings are declining, it’s a difficult sell and their competitors are doing better. Different divisions have different benefits, such as flexible work schedules and other divisions don’t have that opportunity - it should be consistent for everyone. And, no 401K match!!! Need to do more team building activities and show more employee appreciation.

Sep 6, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We make conscious decisions about our compensation and benefit packages and are always looking for ways to improve.

"Misrepresented position"

I worked at TV One full-time

Pros

Great office environment. Some of the nicest senior executives I’ve ever met. Many lunchtime events with food (a lot of parties). That keeps people happy and working.

Cons

Depends on what team you’re on. When I told my colleagues what company I was going to work for, they all groaned. When I told them what team, they said, “Well, maybe your experience will be different.” It wasn’t. They misrepresented the position. Recently heard from another former executive that misrepresenting jobs to new hires is common within their organization and she witnessed it many times. They said they made changes to the job during the interview process after they interviewed me but didn’t keep me informed. They also took almost a month to deliver the actual acceptance letter (via email). A lot of stuff goes unchecked and while the HR people say you can go to them, when you do, they do nothing about it. I was told by more than one employee to pray about it. I should not have to pray about unchecked management and off the rails departments.

Sep 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! Our goal is to create a positive experience for all employees. We are open to hearing more about your experience. Email us at feedback@tvone.tv.

"Nice People - Zero Opportunities"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at TV One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I did learn quite a bit my first year there, in regards to my duties and taking on new duties. There are quite a few very nice people, easy to work beside.

Cons

After my first year, there was zero opportunities for upward mobility. Not a single pay raise, title change, or promotion in all the years I was there, and that was common amongst the employees. They put you in a box and leave you there, hoping you'll stay as long as possible for the least amount of money they can pay you. Company is very top heavy (VPs & Directors) and very bottom heavy (Coordinators) with no opportunities to at least be in the middle. Management is trash, HR is trash.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for your employees to grow. Figure out how to manage!

Sep 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We advocate for our employees to develop professional skills and gain experience by touching multiple areas. Employees are encouraged to apply... More

6. "Going places!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at TV One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great location, new GM.

Cons

Need to provide other benefits to offset monetary gaps. Telecommuting, compressed work week, free parking, etc.

Advice to Management

Your staff is watching and talking about you...make changes even if you have to go into the lion's den.

7. "Producer"

I worked at TV One full-time

Pros

Great work enviornment. Work around talented people.

Cons

Not much cons when I was there.

8. "No Room For Growth"

I have been working at TV One full-time

Pros

It's a family oriented company and their are good people that work here.

Cons

Poor leadership. Managers lack managerial skills. No match for 401K. No development plans for junior level employees. No investment in employee growth. Severely underpaid for the level of work that we do.

9. "Disappointing"

I have been working at TV One full-time

Pros

Family oriented place of work

Cons

No growth opportunity for junior level staff

Advice to Management

There is a need to have a development plan for staff, most supervisors have terrible leadership skills

Feb 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. In a company of our size, TV One employees are able to develop their professional skills by touching multiple areas at once; allowing them to... More

10. "It's Ok..."

I worked at TV One full-time

Pros

Fun environment with a relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Underpaid and understaffed makes the workload sometimes unbearable. Benefits could also be better.