The Point Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Account Supervisor"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Point Group will always have a piece of my heart. This company was my home away from home for 2 years and I would not have left if it wasn't for our family moving to another state. This marketing and communications firm is lead by some very smart, beautiful and strong women. All of the upper management at this company are very nurturing, inviting and wonderful leaders to learn and grow from. It was such an inspiration to work with these women on a daily basis. They take the time to give advice and pointers on how to help someone grow in this field. I would say this is a very positive work environment and the office hand picks amazing people who all mesh well together, from HR, billing, IT, interactive, media, PR, account service, and creatives. These are multiple people with different personalities that all mesh well together and treat each other with respect and trust. The main goal getting out the best work for the client in a strategic and overall beautiful way.
    There is no slack of work, either. If you love to be constantly busy and being kept on your toes, this is the place to be. It makes your days go by so quickly.
    Location of the office is in Preston Center surrounded by tons of restaurants and shops to walk to lunch to.
    Covered Parking that is watched by security and you feel safe 100% of the time.

Cons

The benefits are okay, not the best, but are generally what you would get at any marketing firm this day and age.

2. "Disorganized"

I worked at The Point Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people who work there are very nice and helpful

Cons

A lot of internal backstabbing, and caddy behavior. Very disorganized and process' are way too cumbersome. Very hard to get anything done.

3. "A smaller employee team full of nice, talented, incredible people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time

Pros

The work environment is superb. With a primary employee size of about 25 and a physically open workplace atmosphere, it's easy to communicate freely with whomever you need to. The employees themselves are some of the most down-to-earth and enjoyable people I've ever worked with; there's a strong sense of community in the building that's evidenced in particular by weekly happy hours in the kitchen area at the end of the week, where everyone comes together to have a few drinks, socialize, and talk about non-work-related things. The President really knows what she's doing and displays an exceptional managerial prowess with the rest of the PG team while also making herself available to anyone.The rest of the upper management team have their heads in the right places, too, and give the rest of the employees the space they need to excel in their work. The Point Group has recently acquired some new client business and is about to launch their new website, so exciting times are definitely ahead.

Cons

Since the company size is smaller than average, employees get the chance to get involved in several different projects over several different departments, if they so choose. That being said, a natural consequence of this is that sometimes you can get "spread too thin" as an employee, and the workload can get stressful at times. Also, things can get pretty stressful in the workplace when a client deadline is approaching, but that's a common occurrence in any advertising agency.

Advice to Management

It might behoove David Kniffen, Sr. to be more present and available in the workplace more often -- the President, VPs, and the rest of the upper management certainly do.

5. "Great hands-on environment with the ability to shape your career"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TPG offers great potential for employee growth. As a smaller agency, individuals have the potential to develop their own career and establish themselves as a professional. The agency has a great culture and fun work environment, which include company-wide happy hours and celebrations of our successes as an agency.

Cons

Things can sometimes get fast-paced and require all employees to assist- this may require working a little longer or completing some projects at home.

6. "Great Place to Begin Your Marketing Career"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Point is a smaller agency and this allows new grads like myself a unique opportunity to gain broad exposure and experience in multiple disciplines, giving a real understanding for how all of the departments work together hand-in-hand. On top of my standard AE duties, I've gotten the chance to work on projects related to media planning, digital/interactive, creative/design, and PR. It's been a learning experience to say the least!

In addition, our size requires entry level positions to work directly with upper management regularly; this means that the fresh faces get to benefit from the experience of our management team without having to jump through the hoops of typical corporate hierarchy, found in a lot of large companies.

Our team is awesome and we love to have fun with regular office happy hours and parties. We lend ourselves to the old adage, work hard and play hard.

Cons

As with any agency, we try to run a tight ship, so there are times where we feel slightly under-staffed when our workload gets heavy. The team generally does a good job of working through these times, but things can get stressful and long hours are not uncommon when deadlines draw near.

There is a perceived "ceiling" on advancement, as most of the company either falls into upper-management or entry level positions, with not a ton of middle-ground.

Advice to Management

Setup clear goals/milestones and establish a timeline for advancement with entry level employees. It would be nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

7. "Great opportunities for career growth"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Point Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Point Group empowers all employees to make meaningful contributions to help clients be successful. While it hasn't always been easy, I have learned a tremendous amount of new skills and honed my strategic abilities. Whether senior staff or right out of college, everyone has a voice at the strategy table. Everyone gets their hands dirty here, including the company president. So if you're entry level, you'll get to do real work right away instead of being relegated to doing one mundane task every day.

Cons

As with most agencies, it's a highly demanding atmosphere. There's always the pressure of meeting client demands and retaining them, but delivering business results takes care of that. Sometimes, we need more people when there's a convergence of too many things to be done at the same time.

Advice to Management

Recent group personality exercises were fun and beneficial, so would like to see this continue.

8. "High-tension, hostile environment, no leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location and brand new office space. Smart, talented employees although often restricted.

Cons

Long work days and low compensation. Management takes the "my way or the highway approach". Horrible communication throughout the office. Management tends to take credit for others work.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to be transparent with employees. Give credit where it is due.

9. "Hostile environment"

Former Employee - Strategy in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Strategy in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Point Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location. Other than that, nothing to add.

Cons

Lack of innovation, has not kept pace with the advertising market, extremely unpleasant and hostile work environment, high turn over.

10. "Never Again"

I worked at The Point Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic creatives, exciting projects. The technology is there (they all use macs), but application is missing.

Cons

Too many hours, belittling bosses, no accountability for upper management. Poor use of company time. Too many in upper management are completely unqualified for the positions they hold.

Advice to Management

The company owner, Mr. Kniffen, would do well to actually be present in the corporate environment rather than locked away in his office. He is completely inaccessible to employees and refuses to listen when they can finally get in his office. He fully backs the managers without considering that they may be the issue.

11. "The Point Group Dallas, TX"

I worked at The Point Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the point group you get hands on experience. Also, friendly co-workers

Cons

Lack of organization
    Career future unclear

Advice to Management

More transparency with employees