Tower Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Jernigan

1. "Review of TEP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tower Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. There's a gym. Opportunities to travel. Opportunities to move up.

Cons

Organizational structure is fair at best. Responsibilities within divisions vary drastically.

Advice to Management

TEP will probably be just fine moving along on its current path, but I don't personally believe the company will reach its full potential unless an overhaul of the organizational structure occurs.

2. "Mostly Good"

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Tower Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of travel
    Straightforward work
    Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Lack of upward momentum
    IT is handled at Raleigh office, so not easy to get a hold of
    Hired as engineer, worked and paid as a technician

Advice to Management

A good introduction to the various departments would do well for new employees

3. "Mechanical Designer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Worked in the black sheep of the company: M.E.P. We remodeled old fast food chains only so we had nothing to do with tower. Great group of people that I worked with, they were professional when the time came but knew how to break up the day with some fun. I had plenty of chances to get out of the office by visiting sites so it kept my interest most of the time. I owe TEP a lot, they gave me a chance when no one else would since I had no experience right out of college.

Cons

As an ME it was not exactly the place I thought I'd end up at since it's 90% or more Civil engineers. The benefits are mediocre at best. If you don't want to seek a PE license this is not the place for you. Place is cheap to a fault.

Advice to Management

It's definitely a fun place to work and I actually enjoyed going to work each day. Loosen up the purse strings on some things like benefits and everyday supplies.

5. "Very good to entry level"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

nice, friendly work environment lots of traveling if you like traveling.

Cons

they don't pay for risk

Advice to Management

great!

6. "Company Culture is Horrible"

I have been working at Tower Engineering full-time

Pros

-You can hide at your desk all day without talking to anyone.
    -Christmas party is really nice but since I have no friends I ate and quickly left.
    -Great entry level position. Learn Auto-CAD and some engineering basics.
    -Free gym. It is all old and used equipment from Craigslist in the 80's. Don't expect anything nice.
    -Snack STORE. You can buy snacks at work. They aren't provided.
    -Free coffee (which we had to fight for. Management said "If you give them free coffee they'll want everything for free" WOW us underpaid employees want more? I guess I'm greedy for wanting my company to feel like a community rather than a store.)
    -Expanding rapidly. Work hard and you can move up.

Cons

-Benefits aren't that great. They are extremely expensive and it's high-deductible plan.
    -Management is completely impersonal. They don't care to know about you unless you are a suck-up and work 50+ hour weeks without over time pay. I actually find most of the management rude. They don't even say hi when you're walking by or care about developing you in the long run. Just come in do a ton of cookie cutter projects (there are thousands of telecom towers) and get low pay. They don't care if you have a baby, get engaged, married, or have health problems you are literally just a robot... Some of the nicer people will run out and buy a card to pass around or buy a cake with their own money but never provided by the company or management. Of all places I have ever worked at (Even Denny's as a waiter in college) this has to be the most undeveloped company I have ever worked for. If they had values or a motto or something to work by, I'd feel like I'm contributing to something greater than me.
    -No structured training program. On your first day bring your lunch, sit at your desk by yourself, and expect an email of what to do without your manager even sitting and talking with you. No welcome what-so-ever.
    -Project Management isn't that great. In my department I'm constantly asking people "Do you have something for me to work on?" I wish we were a little more autonomous. Allow lower level engineers to manage projects and work with clients. This develops numerous skills like communication, customer service, product knowledge, sales, time management.. and more. We are all adults and with proper training can quickly learn manage our own projects.
    -Company BBQ's, Parties, and Golf Tournaments... are boring. People standing around because they don't know each other and management is a clique.
    -They expect employees to buy polos, t-shirts, and hats. Come on. This is free advertisement for the company yet you expect employees to pay out of their own pockets for ugly marketing materials?

Advice to Management

Develop people and your company will develop too. Employees are the most important and valuable asset to the company.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Tower Engineering (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is good as long as you do your work. Industry is booming and it is unlikely that company will suffer from economy. People working here are good people.

Cons

Not much of a systematic training. Work environment is unprofessional. There are not much to have pride about the company. I have seen people leaving very often during time there. management level probably get well compensated, but many employees are eager to get out of the boat. No clear standard on paid time off. benefit packages are there just to show that there are benefits, but definitely below average. If you need to earn money, come here. If you want to live out your dreams, do something else. If you have no choice, come here. If you have other choices, go there. Just avoid it if you can avoid it.

Advice to Management

Please compensate employees at industry standard. Better benefit packages are must. I am pretty sure owners earn tons of money at the cost of sacrifice of young engineers. Please invest in your people help them grow as engineer. If you really care about employee, give them chance to speak out and guide them the right way. They are not machines generating reports.

8. "Site Representative"

Current Employee - Site Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Site Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Tower Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed work culture. Work as team. Lot of travel.

Cons

No policy on paid time off.

9. "Structural Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Tower Engineering (Less than a year)

Pros

Good and friendly work environment, helpful team members

Cons

Not much room for promotions, mainly structural and inspection work

"Good place to start and Learn"

I have been working at Tower Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed working conditions. Have a nice friendly atmosphere. Relaxed timings and Holiday structure based on employee-manager relations and employee efficiency.

Cons

Low paying company from industry standards.
    Lack of communication across departments.
    Limited scope in growth and career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Needs to improve salary structure if wanting to keep employees happy and have low attrition rate. Train and develop future leaders. Improve cross training and leadership development programs.

"Engineer I"

I have been working at Tower Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning environment with friendly people

Cons

Work overtime almost every day. Low bonus and low salary. No fixed vacation days